cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this in the TC forum because the truck camper can get way back in farther than the other RV's making communication with family and friends very difficult...

I have a Yagi directional antenna(Cell phone) and a Wilson 45db booster along with a long pole for the antenna..Used to work great when it was analog but now,not so much..I spend so much time out of contact with others way back in the hills, so I have been looking for an affordable alternative..

I found a satellite messaging device that was kinda inexpensive with a low cost plan and when your not using it,you can put it to sleep for $4 a month..It works everywhere and I can set it on the back of the dinette seat by the window and it gets reception..I am quite happy with it..Oh and a SOS function that brings EMS to your spot if anything happened to you or your family..

What do you use for communicating when your on the verge of cell service in your truck camper?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
35 REPLIES 35

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info and timely thread...we had a Wilson amp and antenna in the TT that worked great at the beach, and when I installed it in 2008 I made sure it had the latest 3G tech...while 3G is better than nothing nowadays, I left that system in the camper when I sold it and am looking for newer tech for the TC.

I was planning on the WeBoost Drive Reach signal amp with external antenna to pick up a signal in fringe areas. For us it's not so much about yapping with friends and family, but more about streaming music and movies and having email access for work.

The weak link is that a signal amp must have a signal to amplify, so if there's NO signal it's a problem, but based on the Verizon coverage map I don't see us getting into that situation just yet.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I like about the Zoleo, is it will sense if there is Wifi or cellphone coverage and use those instead of through the satellite for messages, saving on data used depending on your plan.. Supposedly the battery last for 200 hours... There one thing I wanted but none of them seem to support, is the ability to send pictures....

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like I never have to go far from camp on my ATV to find a Verizon signal.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Another InReach Explorer fan. We used them at work back in DeLorme(?)days. For backpacking, the best gps/text/emergency beacon for the weight. The GPS is just OK, but it is workable.

We used the same sat system from a different vendor for communication with remote gas wells. No matter how deep the "holler" you will get at least one satellite pass a day and your emergency signal will get out. Might not work in one of those narrow deep canyons out West, but a great device for solo wandering.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Spot Gen 3 for 6 yrs up until last 2 years. My use was for long distance hiking (I always hike alone) and it suited me well. Send a pre-recorded message "OK" or "Send Help" or "SOS". I would used it to let my contact list know where I am and that "All is OK and having fun". Family and friends could track my progress down the trial. I never had a problem connecting although in an area with a heavy tree canopy I might have to move it to a more open area with a better view of the sky. It was very basic and it was all I or wife needed to stay in touch. Nothing beats letting some responsible person know your agenda and when to contact authorities if you missed your due date. The one caveat is it takes a functioning person to activate the SOS, if your incapacitated it is useless.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
The Spot? No mention but look at it.It is highly recommended for climbers and hikers here in the NW on our mountains..cell is to unreliable.

From what little i know about it, there saying the actual satellite used is really important and Spot uses Globalstar where Zoleo and Inreach use the Iridium sattelites..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

lindahaynes
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
while driving? turn signals, flashing high beams and middle finger ... just like always. 🙂

right :C
Regards,
Linda Haynes!
Works at Kathmandu

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Spot? No mention but look at it.It is highly recommended for climbers and hikers here in the NW on our mountains..cell is to unreliable.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz wrote:
while driving? turn signals, flashing high beams and middle finger ... just like always. 🙂

And how does your wife respond to those..... LOL!!!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We go some pretty remote places with our TC but haven't stayed many places where we couldn't get Internet with a fairly complex setup. On those rare occasions, we enjoy a brief break from connectivity and quickly move on, because we need Internet to make our living.

We carry AT&T and VZ grandfathered enterprise unlimited plans (purchased from a reseller), have a Cradlepoint dual-SIM router with Cat18 modem, Panorama Mako antenna, and a WeBoost, and tend to find Internet where most people we camp with don't.

I use an InReach Mini when running and backpacking in the backcountry.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
As many have said, there are several options for sending and receiving messages via satellite. Most require a monthly fee and can be used in an emergency to request help. We use a similar device called a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), it doesn't require a fee but can only be used to send a signal for help, along with your gps coordinates. For closer communication with others in our group, we use GMRS radios. With all the fancy devices, one of the best ways to help with safety is to let someone know where you will be and when you expect to be back on the grid. When we do this, I provide the emergency services contact info for where we are and a drop dead time on when they should make a call. Regarding the PLB, it gets registered and my adult daughter is one of the contacts on file. In the event of an activation, she will be contacted and will know our approximate location and what we are doing. This will help the rescue teams if needed.

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Following to see what others say as well.
I've been planning on getting the Zoleo messenger as well when I get back on the road this summer.
This past summer I got my ham radio license to give myself another option for emergency communications. ham radio operators have repeaters set up all over the country as well that you might have a chance of hitting where cell phones don't connect. I haven't done enough testing yet myself but I've read about ham operators reaching people 50 miles away, etc, with the right terrain.
Getting your ham license takes a couple weeks of studying, and about $15 to take the test, and your license is good for 10 years.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I posted this in the TC forum because the truck camper can get way back in farther than the other RV's making communication with family and friends very difficult...

Isn't that the purpose of a truck camper, to get away from family and friends :@

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We find we don’t need cellphones to talk to each other inside the TC. 😄 Sometimes, I guess we make nonverbal cues though.

Seriously though, I use a Wilson portable signal amplifier at times. We’ve found that each cellphone has slightly different radios even with the same carrier. My Samsung Note 10 has better coverage with more channels than my wife’s iPhone 11 Plus. In the previoius generation, her iPhone which was a bit newer than my Note at the time, and the iPhone had better coverage. Fwiw, that matches what I’ve read in that the newer Samsungs have very good cellphone radios.

I have a whole house amplifier that I might hook up in the TC. From what I found at home, it overdrove the signal which didn’t help the coverage at home. So, we don’t use it. Keep that in mind that an amplifier might/might not help.

Just a word if you feel like mentioning it to elected representatives ... encourage more cell towers over more wired networks in rural areas. In many rural areas, it will always be cost prohibitive to run wires to every house. However, well placed towers could cover a lot almost impossible space for calls/internet. The side effect of providing interent in these rural areas via cell towers is that dead spots would disappear for calls/texting for those passing through.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member