cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What does tow haul do on Ram 2500 CTD

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
What does tow haul do when towing. I was told by some that it locks 5th gear. Is this true ?
toolmaker
21 REPLIES 21

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.
toolmaker

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2017 3500 68 rfe in tow/haul does not lockout 6th gear you just have to be going fast enough for it to use it. However I can lockout sixth via the shift button. What Bert said seems to be a pretty good description of how mine acts.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
(I always use the auto exhaust brake EB when towing.)

I like tow/haul in town (off highway) and in the hills as it downshifts earlier and keeps the revs up so the EB does most of the work. Other wise the EB cuts out at ~1200 rpm, and the brakes get a real workout.

On the flats on highways, like here in FL, I don't use T/H as it spends too much time in 5th. With our little 8500# trailer, 6th has more than enough ooomph at 55-65mph and is quieter than 5th.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
It also depends on which engine the transmission is coupled to. Some posts have assumed it is the diesel, and we all know what happens when we assume.

Some of us read the title of the post. ....."Ram 2500 CTD" Cummins Turbo Diesel.

It's OK, it was mighty early when you posted ๐Ÿ™‚

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends on which engine the transmission is coupled to. Some posts have assumed it is the diesel, and we all know what happens when we assume.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
M.R.E. wrote:
What does tow haul do when towing. I was told by some that it locks 5th gear. Is this true ?

No it isn't. When using tow/haul it firms the shifts and lets the engine build more RPM between shift points. It still goes into 6th but tranny doesn't short shift saving fuel like it does when in regular drive mode.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

My thoughts exactly.... :h
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Ford it turns a little light on on the dash.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
AngryBert-63 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
M.R.E. wrote:
It's a '16.

Changes shift points (up and down) is the most obvious thing. I've read increased line pressure but some have questioned that so I'm not sure on that front. I can tell you tow/haul mode plus in concert with the exhaust brake gives you an incredibly good towing experience.

When I have my exhaust brake in auto and tow haul selected the minute I touch my brakes the truck 'takes over' and starts down-shifting and braking.

A good example is the first time I used them (tow/haul & exhaust brake) together. I was approaching a traffic light and it had turned red so I let off the gas and began to coast. You could hear the exhaust brake engage and it began to gently slow us.

The minute I touched my brakes, the tranny started rev-matching/down-shifting and the exhaust brake became more aggressive in slowing us. It was amazing. By the time I reached the light I barely had to touch the brakes to complete the stop. Aside from the initial touch to begin slowing (I let off once the truck started doing its thing) to the end, I didn't ahve to use the brakes at all.

I used to have an 04 Cummins so this was all new to me.

Great system.

Best description so far. In my mind, it can almost be too aggressive. It really won't allow you to "coast" with the downshifting. Too much deceleration. Personally, I would rather not use it most of the time.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
AngryBert-63 wrote:
Depends on the year.

Tow haul on my 2016 adjusts the shift points and integrates itself with the exhaust brake (in auto mode) to help stop your rig.

Locking out gears is done separately.

My camper is 10,000# loaded and my 3500 will pull it in sixth gear all day long.

My 2015 3500 with Aisin with not shift to 6th until at or slightly over 65 MPH when in tow haul. I tow in 5th all the time at 60-63 MPH at 25,400 combined weight.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of mis information so far. What transmission? The 68RFE tow haul alters the shift points and holds each gear to a higher RPM to allow stronger accelerarion when pulling.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bert,
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
M.R.E. wrote:
It's a '16.

Changes shift points (up and down) is the most obvious thing. I've read increased line pressure but some have questioned that so I'm not sure on that front. I can tell you tow/haul mode plus in concert with the exhaust brake gives you an incredibly good towing experience.

When I have my exhaust brake in auto and tow haul selected the minute I touch my brakes the truck 'takes over' and starts down-shifting and braking.

A good example is the first time I used them (tow/haul & exhaust brake) together. I was approaching a traffic light and it had turned red so I let off the gas and began to coast. You could hear the exhaust brake engage and it began to gently slow us.

The minute I touched my brakes, the tranny started rev-matching/down-shifting and the exhaust brake became more aggressive in slowing us. It was amazing. By the time I reached the light I barely had to touch the brakes to complete the stop. Aside from the initial touch to begin slowing (I let off once the truck started doing its thing) to the end, I didn't ahve to use the brakes at all.

I used to have an 04 Cummins so this was all new to me.

Great system.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
M.R.E. wrote:
It's a '16.

Then it should perform the same as ours. There is a switch on the end of the right hand stalk that allows you to lock out gears as you see fit.

I've never had to use it. The truck has never hunted or bogged at all towing our Arctic Fox.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K