cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Headlight Restoration Kit?

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
A proper tow vehicle is a big investment and we tend to keep them a long time. I'm sure many of you have had the lenses deteriorate with age. New or even aftermarket units are quite expensive so surely a bunch of you have tried out the restoration kits. What kits do the job, are easy to use and have a lasting effect?
Is there a PM program that makes your new headlights immune to this problem?
Currently Between RVs
12 REPLIES 12

jwduke
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I've had good luck with the 3M version. Used it twice on the wifes 03 Accord.

X2, worked great on my wife's,'05 Accord.
'04 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 w/CTD
'03 Hitchhiker II 31RLBG

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new car to get rid of mine. tried so many different products, talk about a waste of gas money

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck using fine emery paper followed by toothpaste with a buffing wheel.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I went to O'Reilly too get head light restore kit.
Guy that worked there said he would take of it.
Took some used motor oil and a rag wiped it on good and buffed it up a little.
Looked like new.
I was shocked and skeptical
But still looks good
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
Our WalMart used to do the job for 25 dollars. It's been a few years so not sure about now. If your not happy with the results or they screw it up. It's on them.

I do my oil changes myself, but the headlight job. I'll let them do it.

jvowell1
Explorer
Explorer
I know it sounds crazy, but rub them witth any insect repellent that contains deet. It works!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a kit from NAPA a couple years ago. It was useless.
I replaced the headlight covers.

Try 303 Protectant after you get your covers restored or replaced.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried the Turtle Wax kit, totally worthless. Then tried the 3M kit, a little better, but the kit only did one side. This summer while in Alaska a guy parked beside me told me to try Brasso. Yep, it sure worked, not perfect but sure out did toothpaste and the two kits mentioned above.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with the 3M version. Used it twice on the wifes 03 Accord.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
After trying a few I went with Maguiar's It worked better than the others.

But I gave up and just replaced them, I got a pair on Amazon for about $70, they came with better,brighter bulbs than original and those are not cheap.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper with a couple drops of dish soap in the water. They come out crystal clear. Been doing it for years on a mess of different vehicles. Spray a little 303 on the lenses when done and they will stay clear longer than you own the vehicle.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use any kit, I use Turtle Wax rubbing compound. Inexpensive and very effective. Simply put a small amount on a rag, rub, wipe off the haze and the lens is crystal clear. I then put a coat of a good uv wax on them. Takes about 5 minutes per lens. Do it about once a year.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad