cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the "cold" temperature for tire inflation?

wsc7050
Explorer
Explorer
Hello quick question. My trailer tires instruct me to use 65 psi when cold. Well some days I start in the 30's and some days in the 70's. And for argument sake, let's say both of those days end in the 90's. I know from using my tire temp and pressure monitor that if I put 65 psi in at 30 degrees and ran it to 90 degrees it would be different than if I put it in at 70 degrees and then ran it to 90 degrees. So should I be aiming for 65 psi for the temp I would spend most of the day towing at, or?
Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
This is why a TPMS is so convenient. You know exactly what pressure you're running right now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
You should also know your Hot PSI.

This allows you to check during a drive.

wsc7050
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cold means not driven on. Ambient temps should not be considered. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's from tire mfgrs. info.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
One caveat... if the sun is shining on the tires on one side of the vehicle for a while before you, er..., make it outside, you may find up to a 10 PSI difference between the pressures on the sunny and shady sides (with a 20-30 degree difference in temperature). Often times I end up having to check tires on travel days when I'm up and about earlier - especially on the truck where the tires aren't shaded by the slides. The differential may not be as great on a passenger car tire inflated to 32 PSI as it is on E-rated truck tires at 65 - 80 PSI or G-rated trailer tires at 110 PSI. Bottom line, though, I always make sure it's a cold tire before I change the pressure one way or the other.

Rob

Agreed. Guess I am up usually before the sun hits the tires when we travel.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Another "caveat"...if mine is in storage over the winter...my tires seem to lose 7-10 psi.

Love that word.......

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
One caveat... if the sun is shining on the tires on one side of the vehicle for a while before you, er..., make it outside, you may find up to a 10 PSI difference between the pressures on the sunny and shady sides (with a 20-30 degree difference in temperature). Often times I end up having to check tires on travel days when I'm up and about earlier - especially on the truck where the tires aren't shaded by the slides. The differential may not be as great on a passenger car tire inflated to 32 PSI as it is on E-rated truck tires at 65 - 80 PSI or G-rated trailer tires at 110 PSI. Bottom line, though, I always make sure it's a cold tire before I change the pressure one way or the other.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the Ops question, cold tire pressure is first thing in the morning before driving or after the tire has sit for several hours. If it is 30 out then check at 30 and if it is 70 out check at 70 even if both days end at 90. It is a reference check. The manufacturers take into account that during the day and during the drive the tires will heat up.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
a cold tire is one that has been sitting, say over night or several hours with out movement

This is what I figure. I check tire pressure in the morning.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Similar to how deer know to cross the road at a 'deer crossing' .

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
a cold tire is one that has been sitting, say over night or several hours with out movement

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Always, always, always use cold temperature stated on the side of your tire, Check an inflate the tires when they are cold, never, never deflate a hot tire to a cold temperature.

If you think a tire is going flat and you check it an it reads low, then inflate the tire to match the already warm/hot other tires, then check that tire again the next time you stop again, if it's low again then seek out a tire shop to get tire repaired or change to your spare if you have one ...

Only add air if the tire is going flat, temps will very on different road surfaces, cement, asphalt, hot and cold ambient temperatures. They will always gain air when hot and loose when cold unless they a filled with nitrogen an then they will still gain some or loose some but the temperature of the tire will however run cooler overall ...

I always check my tire pressure 1st thing in the morning before starting out, i check the temperatures of the tires and axle hubs during the day when I stop to make sure they are not overly hot to the touch, some people use lazier gauges to do this same thing.

Safe travels