cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are rated for anywhere from 9200-12500 lbs max towing and abound 1000# TW Back in 2013, I wasn't thrilled with how our 2013 F150 3.5 EB CC 4x4 max tow (rated for 12k#) felt suspension wise with about 5500# and 28FT behind it. Maybe it was just me, but it was pretty slushy/bouncy even with a properly set up WD hitch. Maybe it was just me. I remember telling myself I would never go over what I had with any other 1500 if that was a max tow truck.
Fast forward to now. We're thinking pretty hard about upgrading from our 17 FT 2800# trailer to something with two recliners and a dinette with a walk around bed. Looks like about the smallest I can find is almost the same, 28 ft. From my reading, light weight trailers just can't hang quality wise and longivity wise as more robust , heavier trailers. Seems like they start around 5800 and up to around 7000#. I know there are people who get downright scientific with it, just looking for a general idea if possible. Hopefully I'm already on the right track.
61 REPLIES 61

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a 32’ 7600lbs loaded tt for 2 seasons with a half ton. Wouldn’t want to go any bigger or heavier regardless of ratings.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
MitchF150, on this forum tows a 7,000 GVWR TT, with a similar 13 150 max tow, and is happy with the towing experience. I think his TT is about 28' OAL. I do think some WDHs work better than others.

Jerry

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Two things...

The tow and payload ratings for 1/2 ton trucks are all over the place so each truck has to be evaluated based on their particular setup. The other issue as far as trucks are concerned is what the numbers dictate versus what you are personally comfortable with. If accelerating or going up hill with the engine screaming at 6K rpm doesn't bother you the XYZ truck may be fine for you and hated by others towing the say rig.

As far as the lighter trailers not being as robust is concerned, I'm not sure that is always true. As weight goes up the forces applied to any load bearing structures goes up but the strength of those structures may not go up proportionally. Maybe someone familiar with the build characteristics can chime in to shed some light on that issue.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“Most have never even towed anything heavy with a modern half ton that was appropriately configured for the weight so they really don't have the experience to give an opinion.”

“Most” Americans? “Most” men? “Most” women? “Most” involved in the TT forum? But you do? Baloney!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
time2roll wrote:
I would go right to the max rating based on trailer GVWR.

Me too. I've done worse, lol.
I'm also not afraid to put a set of LT tires and some more suspension in the back.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2012 F150 HD 3.5L Ecoboost. Towed a little under 10k from south Texas to different parts of Utah twice. Not once did I have a problem keeping speed up or down the mountain roads. Never felt any brake fade and had plenty of power to pass when needed. I would not hesitate to do it again if I still had the truck.

Most have never even towed anything heavy with a modern half ton that was appropriately configured for the weight so they really don't have the experience to give an opinion.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I've grown increasingly aware of the underlying fact that this is such a subjective question that it is extremely difficult to answer in this forum. People will throw out all sorts of limitations that have no objective grounding, while others will create all sorts of justifications to throw caution to the wind. The simple reality is that actual weights, as rated for the specific truck and trailer, are the only truly objective measures one has. The problem, of course, is that being within those ratings, as you are stating, does not necessarily mean the driver will be comfortable with it.

For us, I have a 2019 F150 max tow and pull a 35' trailer that is 8,000-8,400 pounds, loaded, depending on water and gear. When the full family is along for the ride, I am right up against my GVWR (but not over), and about 1,500 pounds below my GCVWR. This is a new combination for us, but I did about 5,000 miles this summer with no concerns. When the winds were gusting at 25+
a few days ago I could feel it, but it was never uncomfortable. Others, of course, would not feel the same!

Since we only do 4-5 trips per year with most being within 500 miles, this works fine for us. If we were full-timing or hauling multiple 1,000+ mile trips each year, we might see it differently.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
A Lance model 2375 travel trailer is 25’ and 5000 lbs. looks like it fits your requirements.

Man, that is one I've been eyeing. It's in the same money category as Outdoors RV and Northwoods Manufacturing. I really like the Artic Fox 25Y (6640 UVW) and Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RLS (6650 UVW). These seem to be the 3 trailers that are significantly higher quality than the more recognized names at about $10,000-15000 more. Unfortunately, none of them are anywhere NEAR North Carolina, so it would require a vacation just to go buy one. That might happen depending on what loan/rate I can secure. I don't feel like buying another "inexpensive" one to deal with all the same stupid things breaking/leaking. At least these are still quite a bit less than an Airstream!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would go right to the max rating based on trailer GVWR.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:
Back in 2013, I wasn't thrilled with how our 2013 F150 3.5 EB CC 4x4 max tow (rated for 12k#) felt suspension wise with about 5500# and 28FT behind it. Maybe it was just me, but it was pretty slushy/bouncy even with a properly set up WD hitch. Maybe it was just me. I remember telling myself I would never go over what I had with any other 1500 if that was a max tow truck.

Despite impressive rating numbers, other have complained about the same thing. Hopefully a good set of Bilestein or Koni HD shocks would cure that.

To me, anything over 10,000# is 3/4 ton territory. Of course that is assuming you have the Max Towing Package !

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever the truck is rated for is your answer...

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Lance model 2375 travel trailer is 25’ and 5000 lbs. looks like it fits your requirements.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was probably the same as yours at 1800 ish (didn't have those different wheels and the higher payload rating though). I wouldn't have tried 8k. I think 6K loaded is about the highest I will go with on a 1500 regardless of how much higher it's rated. The TW is usually 700# or less on these units.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
5000 lbs. length doesn't matter.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider payload first. It’s not “scientific.” What you can “pull” goes hand in hand with what you can carry.

Length depends on wheelbase for me. What is your’s?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad