cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the most a 07 Trailblazer 5.3 AWD can tow/stop safely

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
What’s the most a 07 Trailblazer 5.3 AWD can tow/stop safely?

Found this on net
https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/4um...-capacity.html

they say 11,000LB I think this is the combined weight of TB and boat/trailer I’m conservatively at 8K LBs.

1.My friends (these Guys tow w/2500 + series trucks) told me my 3K LB boat/trailer (boat is very tall around 10’ off ground) and the TB isn’t heavy enough to stop safely is this true or false?

Attach image of boat/my tow van (van weights 7100LBs) to be towed minimum of 10 250miles one way so 20 trips on 30% hilly roads 70% flat roads 50% curvy road per year maybe more.

prior to obtaining TB I only considered tow capacity which is twice the weight of my 3K boat, TB rated at 6100LBs TBSS at 400horsepower tow rated at 6800LBs my TB stock is 300HP currently my has 350hp.

never thought that 13”front/rear brake rotors to be a weak point. TB alone has excellent stopping power 110’ at 60MPH.

2.So is the 4650LB TB to light to stop safely w/boat?

3.Additionally they say Cops will be pulling me over because TB is so low an boat is so tall and I will have to prove w/ documents (maybe bookmark in owners manual) the TBs tow capacity?

I usually launch at not to steep/or slippery ramps (there is a paid to launch steep ramp closer to house I use w/ my smaller 15’ V hull) that I’d like to launch big boat from however ramps conditions can change like sand being washed/pressed up ect.

4. So is the 4650LB (TB has wet/dry performance tires) to light for steep, sandy/or slippery ramps pulling both TB and boat into water?

The TB currently has leakie air sag suspension that I plan to swap for convention springs/shocks and if TB sags then add air bags to inside of springs and air up w/ TBs air compresser.

I attempted to upload images from my PC apparently it's not possiable here.

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

blt2ski
Grit dog.
Here in Washington St where you are, he WILL need brakes to be legal on both axles. 3000 lbs is over 40% of his gvw.

But with that said, OP has not stated where he is at. If in Texas, iirc, he WILL need brakes on one axle.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Eggzactly, most states require brakes by law over 3klb gross or rated.
And of course there’s some one off state laws that require brakes at less or more than 3k.
You can go buy pretty much any configuration of trailer with a 3500lb single axle with a gvw rating of “2990lbs” and you’ll be hard pressed to find one that comes equipped with brakes.
Bottom line is real world situations are not black or white and while one person may not be comfortable driving anything bigger than a Prius and would be a road hazard pulling a trailer with the best brakes in the world, others may be perfectly safe pulling a 40’ goose (with brakes of course:)) with a pickup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

3klb trailers aren't even required to have brakes by law.....you lose, thanks for playing.

In most states they are.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
drsteve wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I'm not the trailer brake and weight cops and still maintain your TB will do ok with that boat, IF it's in good mechanical condition.

Trailer brake cops? So now legal safety requirements are to be ignored like an inconveniently low payload rating?

Seriously?

Your reading comprehension isn't very good for being a doctor....or maybe you're just out to contradict yourself?
OP said its 3klbs. I still reccomended brakes for his intended use.
3klb trailers aren't even required to have brakes by law.....you lose, thanks for playing.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I'm not the trailer brake and weight cops and still maintain your TB will do ok with that boat, IF it's in good mechanical condition.

Trailer brake cops? So now legal safety requirements are to be ignored like an inconveniently low payload rating?

Seriously?
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BUT 5000mi a year towing high profile (truck will think your 10' tall boat is 4-5000lbs not 3 due to wind resistance) on at least half curvy or hilly roads says get some trailer brakes to me.
Since you're still asking the question, I'm surmising that you don't have a lot of towing experience. This is almost as important as having brakes IMO. So if you don't have one, get the other.

Another thing, I'm not up in that vehicle's issues, but FWIW, I've known several people who have claimed that the TB and it's Buick sister are very riddled with issues. Common theme with our neighbor who claims they went through the mistake of 2 of them now. Second one they dumped after like 2 years. Buddy dumped one for an expedition that they've now had for 10 years or so. Couple others I just heard random complaining about.
This is of course conjecture, but nobody buys a TB because it's the coolest thing on the road, except maybe the SS, so they're looking for reliability and good service life and the consensus is it's not there. Just food for though. If you can get good money for it and step into a Tahoe, expedition or pickup you'd probably be money ahead vs sinking it into the TB.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
In your other thread you say
Plan to install surge brake actuater on trailer to make trailer appear to have legal brakes

So you already know it's illegal, and you plan to make it look like you're in compliance? If you're in an accident the other guy's attorney will have a field day with you. And rightly so.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

blt2ski
I prefer have brakes on trailers where trailer is grossed out beyond payload of tow rig.
Not sure where you are at. But will swag, a dual axle trailer with out brakes on at least one axle is illegal. Here in Washington state, ALL 4 tires need working brakes. If total trailer is owner 1509-4500 lbs, or over 40% of tow rigs registration gvw, you need brakes on towed vehicle. Be it a trailer, towed car behind a motor home or equal...
I would not pull your trailer behind my class 6 navistar with out brakes, much less your trailblazer!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
thebrain wrote:

3.Additionally they say Cops will be pulling me over because TB is so low an boat is so tall and I will have to prove w/ documents (maybe bookmark in owners manual) the TBs tow capacity?
The cops will not be pulling you over because you are exceeding the TB's tow capacity because there is no law that says you can not exceed the tow rating of the TB. Your friends are full of sheet.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
thebrain wrote:
heres my thread w/ images since rvnet doesn't allow images upload
https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/885256-what-s-most-07-trailblazer-5-3-awd-can-tow-stop-safely.html#post10740371

It is very simple to put pictures into your post on these forums or to many other sites on the internet. To post photos do the following.

1. Upload your photo, one at a time, to this site.

2. Copy the resulting URL.

3. Paste the URL directly into your post with NO modifications. Do not add or subtract anything from the URL.

Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on these forums. Do the same for each additional photo.

You just Upload, copy, and paste.
If you would like to practice doing that, just go to this thread that I started in the DIY forum to try out the app.

This app was developed by one of our own moderators to simplify the posting of pictures. All that needs to be done is upload your picture to our site, then paste the resulting URL into your posts.

Could not be much more simple to do than that! 🙂 You don't even have to worry about the size of the photo as the software will re-size it to our forum recommendations.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
If you are towing more than 2,000 pounds without trailer brakes you are endangering everyone else on the road not just you. I had an 07 Trailblazer with 3.42 gears and the 5.3. The 4 speed transmission was a liability not an asset. It would upshift too soon and not downshift when it should. That engine, like most modern V8s, require higher RPMs to make their power.

The vehicle was very comfortable but the reliability sucked. It had electrical problems, stabilitrack problems, and many other issues. I bought it certified in 2010 and just sold it this year. If I remember right the tow capacity was about 6,100 pounds and would have been 6,600 if Iit had the 3.73 gears.

Towing a 5,000 pound boat shouldn’t be an issue but get some brakes on the trailer.
Jeep and Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
First off lets set this straight. 2007 and 2008 TB with 5.3 were all short version 5 seat capacity with 6100-6600 towing capacity.

NO TOW HAUL function on the 4l60 transmission. AWD not many tb but a majority of Envoy Denali.

Towing: popups great, travel trailers suck
Boats, any tow vehicle usually works perfectly only a few can stop a boat trailer including half ton variants.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is the GVWR of the trailer? In most states if it is 3000lbs GVWR or higher you need brakes. In some states the limit is 1000lbs GVWR. Depending on the state it may be only on one axle, but many states require brakes on both axles.

The cops may have issues with the lack of trailer brakes if you do get pulled over for a moving violation. Not always, but there is the chance.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
3000? You'll be fine. Towing a boat is not like towing a travel trailer. Far less wind resistance. trailer does not have brakes but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Everything you need to know about your towing capacity is listed in your owners manual. Stop reading what you find randomly on the Internet. More often than not it doesn't tell the whole story. If you don't have the manual, download one. Also join GMT Nation. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on there that know the GMT 360/370 platform inside and out.
boat is over ten' high.https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/885256-what-s-most-07-trailblazer-5-3-awd-can-tow-stop-safely.html#post10740371

trailer does not have brakes I know because I bolted on the springs /axels on.