cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's with the ridgey exterior walls on the Jayco TTs?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Why would they use the ridgey outside walls like that? It looks like it would create more wind resistance and be less aerodynamic. Also looks tough to keep clean! I have seen old TTs with dirt in every groove.
116 REPLIES 116

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
This is what happens, folks, after the unwary inhabit an Adzel composite built RV.

*goes back to the Kumbaya of tin-wood-huggers*

Oh lordy! :B
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Call me crazy but it has always been my understanding that stick and tin is lighter than the fiberglass sided trailers.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Proteus wrote:
I won't even consider a "stick and tin" trailer for the following reasons.
1) it's cheap crap, pushed because it uses residential construction techniques and requires minimal worker training, and no special factory machinery. 1950s era tech.,,
2) wood gets wet, and rots. Insulation "batts" retain water, and shift.
3) it creates trailers that are far heavier than they need to be, and require large trucks to pull. A truck is a horrible daily driver. They handle like crap, with lousy gas mileage. Why buy one just to pull a trailer? Why not buy a trailer at can be pulled with a normal vehicle?

BINGO!!

Thanks for saying what I've been wanting to say on this thread!

WoodGlue
This is what happens, folks, after the unwary inhabit an Adzel composite built RV.

*goes back to the Kumbaya of tin-wood-huggers*
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Proteus wrote:
1) it's cheap crap, pushed because it uses residential construction techniques and requires minimal worker training, and no special factory machinery. 1950s era tech.,,
3) it creates trailers that are far heavier than they need to be, and require large trucks to pull. A truck is a horrible daily driver. They handle like crap, with lousy gas mileage. Why buy one just to pull a trailer? Why not buy a trailer at can be pulled with a normal vehicle?

BINGO!!

Thanks for saying what I've been wanting to say on this thread!

WoodGlue

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
And here is the rest of the story. The Koreans bought it in 2007

Welcome to the Hanwha Azdel, Inc. web site.

Our Mission

To create value for our customers, our people, our communities & our shareholders by delivering high quality & innovative composite & material solutions around the world.

Company Profile

Hanwha Azdel Inc. manufactures high-performance thermoplastic composites designed for both interior and exterior applications across many different industries. Major segments served include automotive, heavy truck, recreational vehicles, industrial, and other transportation applications. Hanwha Azdel, Inc. is an affiliate of Hanwha Living & Creative (L&C) Corporation, which is a division of Hanwha Corporation, a major Korean company with 30,000 employees worldwide.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
WoodGlue wrote:
Hanwa is a Korean Company. Azdel is manufactured in Virginia!

WoodGlue

Actually some of it is made in Shelby NC.

AZDEL is not affected by moisture, will not absorb or retain water and does not mold, mildew or rot. In fact, AZDEL can be submerged in water and returns to its original weight in minutes. Also, AZDEL is completely comprised of โ€œman-madeโ€ materials, which do not contribute to organic odors. โ€œRain or shineโ€ you know your RV will always be ready for its next adventure.

AZDEL is 50% lighter than plywood, reducing gross vehicle weight and increasing load capacity. This equates to lighter duty tow vehicles, increased gas mileage and reduced wear on your RV and tow vehicle. You have the option to take more with you or spend less getting there.

AZDEL is 3 times better insulated than plywood, which can significantly reduce heating and cooling cost. In fact, AZDEL does not promote condensation and is not affected by changes in humidity. It also stays ductile below freezing and insulating performance creates an overall quieter environment.

AZDEL Ups Composite Panel Production

Print Print

May 5, 2010 by RV Business 2 Comments

AZDEL Onboard LogoThe RV Industryโ€™s leading composite panel producer for wood replacement has increased its annual production capacity by 20 million pounds, or a projected 100 million square feet.

After completing a year?long installation project, AZDELโ€™s newest production line will start supplying RV manufacturers in June, according to a news release. The growing demand for AZDELโ€™s unique family of lightweight composite products for transportation markets around the globe has driven the need for its fourth and most advanced manufacturing line.

AZDEL credits expansion to the RV Industryโ€™s increased interest in Lightweight Composite Materials for Wood Replacement. AZDEL has served the RV Industry since 2006 and today has over 20 million square feet of their groundbreaking AZDEL SuperLite Panels in service. Expansion will enable future supply of AZDEL products to meet growing demand and demonstrates AZDELโ€™s ongoing commitment to the RV Industry and transportation markets worldwide.

RV manufacturers continue to specify AZDELโ€™s composite panels for their superior light weight and high quality performance over wood?based materials. AZDEL believes its material has not only advanced the RV Industry, but also is enhancing the RVing experience for this and future generations of RVers.

To learn more about AZDELโ€™s technology for RVs and related markets, visit us at www.AZDELONBOARD.com. AZDELโ€™s composite panels are distributed throughout North America by Robert Weed Plywood Corp., Bristol, Ind., www.robertweedplywood.com.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
Long story short, if you own a stick and tin trailer then fibreglass is garbage and if you own a fibreglass trailer then stick and tin is garbage.

We can now close the thread. :B

I own both, each has its advantages and disadvantages. The fact is that fiberglass is heavier and can suffer delamination. Tin is lighter and does not delaminate. On the other hand a tin sidewall can easily dent and may be totaled after a minor hail storm.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
WG, you need to do some more investigation into process before you make absolute statements like this. Just because your Lance trailer has a pinch roller glue process doesn't make it better than a vacuum bonding process. In fact, most folks that deal with panel bonding will disagree with your absolute statement.
Just think about this in a practical sense. If I have larger panels that need to be compressed to make sure that the glue between them is in contact with the panel, is it better to have force on only a smaller area where the force is provided by rollers or is it better to have the force spread evenly over the entire area of the panels? We can discuss this in greater length as there are other factors at work with panel bonding.

That's why I said "most, if not all" and "almost certain" - these aren't "absolute statements" I stand by my statement that vacuum bonding the wrong way is almost certain to produce delamination processes not seen in pinch rolled lamination production. Also, the layups of luaun is a recipe for almost certain disaster.

Lance uses pinch rolled processes w/ Azdel in a climate controlled room! Show me one other manufacturer that does this!!

You can PM me if you want to continue to discuss this further as I'm always up for intelligent conversation!!

WoodGlue

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, if you own a stick and tin trailer then fibreglass is garbage and if you own a fibreglass trailer then stick and tin is garbage.

We can now close the thread. :B
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

westend
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Vacuum bonding the wrong way is an EPIC FAIL on the part of most, if not all RV mfgs. This sets the stage for almost certain delamination issues!

WoodGlue
WG, you need to do some more investigation into process before you make absolute statements like this. Just because your Lance trailer has a pinch roller glue process doesn't make it better than a vacuum bonding process. In fact, most folks that deal with panel bonding will disagree with your absolute statement.
Just think about this in a practical sense. If I have larger panels that need to be compressed to make sure that the glue between them is in contact with the panel, is it better to have force on only a smaller area where the force is provided by rollers or is it better to have the force spread evenly over the entire area of the panels? We can discuss this in greater length as there are other factors at work with panel bonding.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
CountryKim wrote:
We got rid our 2011 Fiberglass trailer this year when the luan sandwich floor started getting large soft spots in different areas. The soft spots were caused from the way the luan butt joints were staggered causing the foam beneath to compress. It had nothing to do with water damage just the way the trailer was constructed. The repair was supposed to be done at the factory as it was too big to tackle at the dealership. As the trailer was just about to come out of warranty we decided to trade it in just in case more problems were to develop. We decided to go with a stick and tin this time for that reason. I am sure stick and tin has it's downfalls too, but after our experience with the "light weight" material we decide not to try again.

That is why I hate that type of floor construction so much I won't even consider owning another one. I had no rot at all but the floor was sagging so much I was afraid to walk on it. If a camper doesn't have at least a 5/8" plywood floor I won't even consider it.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

CountryKim
Explorer
Explorer
We got rid our 2011 Fiberglass trailer this year when the luan sandwich floor started getting large soft spots in different areas. The soft spots were caused from the way the luan butt joints were staggered causing the foam beneath to compress. It had nothing to do with water damage just the way the trailer was constructed. The repair was supposed to be done at the factory as it was too big to tackle at the dealership. As the trailer was just about to come out of warranty we decided to trade it in just in case more problems were to develop. We decided to go with a stick and tin this time for that reason. I am sure stick and tin has it's downfalls too, but after our experience with the "light weight" material we decide not to try again.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Vacuum bonding the wrong way is an EPIC FAIL on the part of most, if not all RV mfgs. This sets the stage for almost certain delamination issues!

WoodGlue

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
When stick and tin has to be repaired they remove some siding and do the wood repair. When they have to repair laminate they have to replace entire wall sections.

Walk into any campground, USA and look at the laminated trailers. Especially the ones who are 5 plus years old. It's not uncommon for these trailers to have what looks like big blisters on the front of the trailers, many times on the back and around the windows. This is delamination. It could be water intrusion, it could simply be that the fiberglass has let go of the substrait.

IMHO this is a major reason why we see one piece fiberglass caps now. Fiberglass caps hold up very well aesthetically speaking.

For me, I prefer sticks and tin. But really if you have wall damage from a leak its a bad situation with either build method. Sticks and tin is easier for an experienced DIYer to repair at home. I have never read about an effective home brewed solution to delamination.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

That's what I'm talking about. 2 out of 3 campers I see some sort of bubbling or waviness in the fiberglass. One guy who recently sold his, had it sitting out near the street where it was easy to see. Some days it looked perfect, other days, you could see the one side with a huge bubble down most of the side. The weather can hide or show the delamination, but it's there. I have even seen it on a few brand new campers sitting on the dealers lot.

Some campers have small delamination bubbles of 7" or 8" and others have areas in the feet. I honestly see it so much, I would rather downsize the camper to fit my tow vehicle than get a lighter laminated camper of a bigger size. Even some hybrid campers are going back to stick and tin construction although there's not many unfortunately.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.