cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What the heck is Tow/haul for?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 2013 F150 302V8, 6spd auto, 4x4, long box, extended cab.

I am now hauling a 2100kg TT and am wondering what does pressing the Tow/Haul button does.
What would I notice with and without using it?
37 REPLIES 37

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
rdhetrick wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
why would you take delivery on a vehicle you're not familar with? The salesman should have explained the trucks features or at a minumum you should have asked.

I love extremely helpful comments like this....wow....

Um, no offense, but I'd like to suggest that it is an error in your attitude to view such a comment as personal criticism, rather than as an attempt to teach you a valuable lesson. Don't get wrapped up in and all butt-hurt about it. Teaching you to ask questions of the salesman when you pick up the truck, after just giving him enough money to justify a few minutes of his time 'splaining such details constitutes the real meat of the comment.

It is true that the exasperation in the comment was probably not the best way to deliver the message, still, if that is allowed to dominate your reading of it, you are going to miss out on a lot of valuable information, 'cause a lot of folks seem to have a hard time not being exasperated by folks not knowing things they thought were obvious.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you read the owners manual? I think I would trust it more than anecdotal explanations from anonymous folks who may or may not know. Trust me it is in there.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
rdhetrick wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
why would you take delivery on a vehicle you're not familar with? The salesman should have explained the trucks features or at a minumum you should have asked.

Yes, it doesn`t answer the OP`s question, but it is a good question!

And as others have said the Tow Haul changes shift points, and TC lock up and it can help with engine braking. so when towing hauling use it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:

Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The manual should explain. The obvious answer is it's for towing and hauling with the truck as opposed to driving it empty to the store.
Engage it when the truck is being used "like a truck" to move heavy things.
The shifting will improve, you may see lower transmission temps, and it will help control your speed going down hill.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly what he said, but also helps slow the combo down by downshifting when you go to stop, thereby helping save the brakes.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Specifically for moving a load it changes shift points and keeps the torque converter locked to avoid slippage which can make the trans overheat. I use it always when towing. I have a trans temp gauge and can see the temp rise if it is not engaged.