cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What the ??

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on downsizing my class A to a B+ rv under 25 foot, was also looking at new trucks and a camper as a 2nd option, so with the price of a new F-250 to F-350 and a new camper with a slideout it would cost almost the same price as a new small class A motorhome, {$100,000+}

The BT cruiser class B+ new starts at $72,000 and has twice the room of most campers..

How in the world does the truck camper makers stay in business with these high prices..

:h
31 REPLIES 31

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
the price of a new F-250 to F-350 and a new camper with a slideout it would cost almost the same price as a new small class A motorhome, {$100,000+}

The BT cruiser class B+ new starts at $72,000 and has twice the room of most campers..

Not fair comparison.
To have the same luxury in ClassB, that you have in modern pickup - you need to go to Sprinter conversions.
Prices start at $150,000 and about a year wait this season.
TC has the highest price per sq ft in whole RV industry, but that is becouse I would compare it to Space Shuttle, where everything has to be light and reliable.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to get a lot of space cheap, buy a trailer. There are a lot of really poorly built cheap models available.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
timmac wrote:
I am planning on downsizing my class A to a B+ rv under 25 foot, was also looking at new trucks and a camper as a 2nd option, so with the price of a new F-250 to F-350 and a new camper with a slideout it would cost almost the same price as a new small class A motorhome, {$100,000+}

How in the world does the truck camper makers stay in business with these high prices..

Truck campers are specialty tools. And many don't stay in business, they make up a tiny percentage of the RV market. If you look at all the parts, they are cramming all the same parts into a smaller package. The box itself is a small part of the cost of an RV.

Now to your comparison...I question the comparison of costs you made (I'm using new prices as used prices have to many variables but like for like should follow a similar pattern):
- Class B+ may be $72k but you presumably have a separate car. Average new car price is $35k...let's say you downsize a bit and go $28k...that gives us a baseline of $100k for the motorhome option. Even if you say you aren't going to pull a toad, you still need a car for at home (A $100k class A would be $128k with toad)
- Travel Trailer: A 25ft B+ is going to have interior space roughly equivalent to a 20-23ft travel trailer and could easily be pulled by a 1/2 ton truck. It's no where close to the level of needing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. We just bought a new 28ft trailer for $18k out the door...saw some smaller ones that we could have got for $15k. Add $35-40k for a 1/2 ton truck to pull it and you are around $50-55k and the truck can be your daily driver. Yes, it will use a little more gas but it will take many years to make up the $45-50k in up front savings.
- Truck campers really are a tough nut unless you need a tool that does what a truck camper does. Even the biggest will have a smaller living quarters and less storage than the other two options. Due to the weight unless you go incredibly tiny, you are at least into a 3/4 ton but more likely in 1 ton truck territory. On the positive side, unless you are pulling a trailer behind it, not much point in upgrading to the diesel...in fact diesel hurts as it eats up payload. So $60k for a truck plus say $40k for a modest truck camper and you are at the Class B+ price. You don't need a toad as you can use the truck for running around.

So why would someone go truck camper?
- They like to go offroad camping. Short of dedicated expedition vehicles, the others won't do nearly as well once you get away from the paved roads. Sure you can creep down a dirt road with most RVs but once things get rough, most people won't want to take their RV any further while truck campers may be happy to keep going.
- If you want to tow something like a boat. Double towing with a travel trailer is illegal in most states (5th wheels are more doable). With a MH, you have the choice of toad or toy.

There are probably a couple other use cases that could be argued but it's mostly a specialty tool.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had 3 trucks and 4 campers..I finally made it to a dually(horse before the carriage) another subject but I can haul or pull anything now(I have every option). A TC is so awesome for it allows you to go anywhere...but the cost is pricey for how small they are. I know, sticker shock. It really boils down to how you want to Glamp. A truck first is utility versatility and I would personally not have any use for an RV that sits as a one piece (A,B or C) TT maybe, but overall, it is the demand for the convenience..again you can go anywhere and are not limited to campgrounds or RV parks. It is the demand for a product that governs the price...obviously truck campers are just that, in demand...That is why we have one, everyone wants one that has a truck and boondocks. That is why we are here to talk about it. It also depends on how much you use it...break down the cost of a trip with airfare, motel stays, car rentals, food etc. and now with covid...who wants to do that? Not me.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I bought a 30' 1990 Nomad TT used. Fixed it up, replaced just about everything including brakes and tires etc... Drove from Binghamton NY to fort Bragg NC to visit my nephew. Got home and sold it! Never again. A truck camper creates one vehicle that splits into two for sheer convenience. Although I could never afford anything new a couple of years old is usually around half the price and is in excellent condition. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't pay that kind of money for something that depreciates the moment you drive off the lot. To each there own of course. JMHO
Joe

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
KansasKen wrote:
versatility, truck can be used during the 85% of the time campers never leave home. ? in my mind is how average worker can afford a new f350.

Always entertaining to hear this point of view. But nothing has changed.
โ€œAverage workerโ€ generally canโ€™t afford a new luxury vehicle, or shouldnโ€™t if they do buy them.
No different than my parents being average workers pay scale 30-40 years ago.
And the difference in price, adjusted for inflation isnโ€™t much if any, if you compare somewhat apples to apples.
Yes the โ€œaverageโ€ truck does cost more than that but the power, longevity, capacities, technology all justify the greater expense.
The nicest model from 40 years ago now leaves a lot to be desired compared to just the base models of today.
Itโ€™s all in how you want to spend your money though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
As said before, Iโ€™ve already got the truck, and Iโ€™d have a truck even without a TC. Class A/B/Cโ€™s are of no use to me when I need to haul something. Anything longer than about 30โ€™ total canโ€™t even make it to my garage where the camper is stored, and wouldnโ€™t be able to turn around if they tried.

While I have a flatbed trailer to use when I have to, I prefer not towing over towing. I especially like NOT towing when we go traveling around for fun in the camper, and thereโ€™s always at least one time on every trip that I say to the boss โ€œSure am glad we arenโ€™t towing anything right nowโ€, or โ€œIf we were towing something, that wouldnโ€™t even be an optionโ€.

Iโ€™m glad thereโ€™s an RV option that suits everyoneโ€™s taste, but for over 30 years the TC has fit mine perfectly.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Any time something "small" needs to perform as though is was a full-sized RV, it's going to cost more.

We bought a used truck camper - we always have a truck around anyway, and sometimes the "little guys" get the most interesting camping sites! Plus we can utilize rustic campsites that may RVs can't get to. We can park in a "regular" parking space. I can go on and on about the handiness of a TC and their long lives...
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The prices are high to keep the rif-raf out. Plus when you join the TC community someone will teach you the secret handshake. ๐Ÿ˜„

Seriously though, if you are compoaring based model chassis class As with top of the line diesel 4x4 trucks with top of the line multislide TCs, itโ€™s not a fair comparison. Try comparing a bench seat small engine gasser with one of the low end TC slides. Or, compare the highend TC with deisel 4x4 etc to a diesel 4x4 loaded B. or compare a quality diesel pusher.

For instance a XL 350 DRW with Regular Cab starts at around 37K but can push 90K with Limited package Diesel 4x4. TCs are the same, but I donโ€™t want to hurt feelings by calling out the more economy lines, but of course, even the nicest TCs donโ€™t get anywhere near 90K.

My point is the prices vary a lot from top of line truck to bottom. The same for TCs as well.

Finally, there is a reason for every type/economy level of each type of vehicle and RV. Find the one that works for you.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MitchF150 wrote:
I don't know why 8' truck campers cost more than my 26' TT??

It's the intricacies of building it. There's a lot more labor involved to build a truck camper compared to a TT.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
A truck can double as a daily driver, a Class A /B/ B+ cannot. I could NEVER justify spending the amount of money that at Class A/B/B+/C costs because it would sit around / not get driven 90% of the time.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

The same way other RV manufacturers stay in business by building low or questionable quality units.
People keep buying them...

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I agree the prices are steep, I would never do a one-piece. I like being able to separate the two, plus, I need a truck anyway. Plus I like to go where you can't really get a bigger one-piece or trailer in.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know why 8' truck campers cost more than my 26' TT?? I can tow my TT with an F150 that is 7 years old now, but still plenty of truck for the task.

Plus, the truck comes in handy when not towing all the time for me, so works well.

I probably have less in my truck/trailer combo than it would cost to buy a new F150 these days... Much less an F250..

Anyway, we all 'camp' the way that works best for us, so you just gotta do what you gotta do if that's what you wanna do.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
KansasKen wrote:
versatility, truck can be used during the 85% of the time campers never leave home. ? in my mind is how average worker can afford a new f350.

Yep I haven't bought a full size truck for sometime now, I did buy a 4 cly 2018 Tacoma for under $24,000 but just went looking and new F-250 and F-350 and cant believe the price they want for them now, and than looked at new camper prices with just one slideout and was also shocked..

I can see why class C's and A's are selling like hot cakes compared to a new truck with a new camper...