cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tools to take on 2 month trip?

Bank_of_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
In late August we are driving from FL to UT, 2013 3/4 Suburban and 2013 23ft TT.

What should I do to the truck and trailer to prepare. It is stored on a lot near my house. Gasp, I haven't used it since February.

Also, what tools to take with us. I have a small air compressor already. And one of those things you drive up on to change the tire. And I have US Rider road service (cause I pull a horse trailer too).

Thanks

Judy
47 REPLIES 47

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
krobbe wrote:
K Charles wrote:
People drive 1000 miles to work and back every month without tools but can't go 1000 miles in a straight line without worrying about a breakdown. If it is road worthy and maintained you should need nothing. Take some plastic and have fun.

If you're prepared(even new stuff breaks), then not as much "plastic" is needed. And who wants to wait several hours for someone to rescue you on the side of the road? Being prepared also allows me to help others.

Ya my old Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared

it really works

Yeah former boy scout and auto mechanic......if someone hss blown an engine on the side of the road and has a spare set of pistons and rods in the trunk, I probably have the tools to rebuild it right there, lol.
Cant be over-prepared.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, some interesting replies....no surprise.
Anyone who'd liken dropping the hammer with a big trailer in tow for thousands of miles to commuting cross town repeatedly is clueless and has blind faith in things they know nothing about.
It's almost hard to imagine reccomending to someone to bring no tools on a road trip. But hey, it's rvnet!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JBledsoe
Explorer
Explorer

If you take everything that you could need, there will not be room for anything else.

I carry a bottle jack and lug wrench (that fits the TT lug nuts). Utah is NOT a
desolate land, you can find most any parts that you may need.

One thing to remember....in the Northwest when the sun goes down, folks start looking for a coat.....even in August.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have a small tool bag with the basics and enough to change a tire.
Plenty of tool stores on the road to buy what you need if something happens.

Jeff_and_Abby
Explorer
Explorer
710 Liquid (like 3-in-1 brand) ... put in a zip-lock baggie
- and make sure you have a #2 Square Screwdriver with a good tip.
Spare Fuses can be major grief-savers.
2015 Prime Time Tracer 235 AIR
1998 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab "Laramie" SLT (360 SRW)
( sadly had to retire the 1994 Veri-Lite M-1130 11.5' )
Doin' that New York Up-State Toodleloo

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
Spare fuses for both TT and TV. (a couple of each size)
Voltmeter
A pack of screws for the cabinet hinges and other things(#6, #8, #10)
Gorilla Glue
grease
A combo screwdriver that includes the various tips(square, star, slotted, phillips)!
channel locks pliers
hammer
large ratchet set that includes a 1/2" drive socket to fit lugnuts
1/2" drive torque wrench to torque lugnuts(100#) - not for me.
bottle jack(10 or 12 ton)
cordless drill(for the TT stabilizer jacks) and bit to fit same
a good air pressure gauge (you have a compressor)
good voltage surge protection - not for me.
motor oil
coolant(mixed 50/50)
windshield washer fluid
leveling blocks (I carry 2 sets of the orange ones)
comfortable chairs
beer and wine

A couple adjustable wrenches to augment the socket set.
Leatherman tool!
A small assortment of hose clamps from small to very large!
Rope/ratchet straps.
Bicycle tire pump... at least one bicycle always has a low tire and it can work on automotive tires (neglected spare tire) in a pinch!

My favorite camping tool is a self igniting propane torch! ...Lighters are for wimps!
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

asullivan920
Explorer
Explorer
A few other things I thought of.

Flash light and head lamp
gloves
few different styles of pliers/vise grips
wire cutters
oil rags and paper towels
orange safety vest

another maintenance check the bolts on your equalizer hitch.
Check air pressure and lug nuts on tires
2017 Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab shortbed 6.7 Cummins
2013 Rubicon 1905 toy hauler

Jeff_and_Abby
Explorer
Explorer
Sullivan ... EXCELLENT list !!!

Our version of a "Short List" ...
- AAA / #ROAD / Coach-Net / road service contract
- Distilled Water (RADIATOR)
- New, not worn down, #2 Robertson (Square head) screwdriver
- sockets, breaker bar and torque wrench for Truck AND Trailer Wheel Lug Nuts
- GOOD Set of Safety Marker Triangles (that you will hopefully NEVER need)
- Darn Good heavy flashlight
- enough blankets and rain ponchos that you can move the tribe safely back from the road in case of breakdown in bad weather. (that you will hopefully NEVER need to do)

We did pick up one of those red plastic wedge "drive up" tire changers - we have two axles on new TT - a test (admittedly in the driveway) proved it worked as it should. Doubles as block for hitch jack 🙂

Stash a roll or two of TP Paper in a ziploc and keep in truck, under seat or something. Never know ....
2015 Prime Time Tracer 235 AIR
1998 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab "Laramie" SLT (360 SRW)
( sadly had to retire the 1994 Veri-Lite M-1130 11.5' )
Doin' that New York Up-State Toodleloo

Bank_of_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Love ASullivan's list.

In the past, with other TVs and 2 MHs, we have had TV's brakes overhead, had the brakelines go out in previous TV, lost brakes on previous MH (twice), had the ABS sensor burn up on MH, had dozens of problems with the P30 AutoPark system, and had a blowout on I-80 with previous MH.

Also child # 2 broke eyeglasses 30 minutes into trip when child # 1 pushed him.

Two years later, child #2 realized 5 days into trip he had not packed any underwear (2000 miles into trip).

But the Lab. puppy was perfect!

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
krobbe wrote:
K Charles wrote:
People drive 1000 miles to work and back every month without tools but can't go 1000 miles in a straight line without worrying about a breakdown. If it is road worthy and maintained you should need nothing. Take some plastic and have fun.

If you're prepared(even new stuff breaks), then not as much "plastic" is needed. And who wants to wait several hours for someone to rescue you on the side of the road? Being prepared also allows me to help others.

Ya my old Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared

it really works

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Nice list asullivan. I will add some of your items to my list to make it more complete. Thx!
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

asullivan920
Explorer
Explorer
Always love reading the tool lists! Every once in a while I find something to add to my own kit.
This is what I carry with out going into tiny details.
Always in Tow vehicle.
Jack (I use have a HI-lift and a bottle jack)
wood blocks (to use jack on soft soil or make it reach)
set of tire chocks
jumper cables
tow strap
12V air compressor & tire pressure gauge
6X9 tarp (never know what you may have to lay down on or in)
5 gallon bucket (use as a seat or part of a spill kit)
Tool kit
Socket and wrench set (going up to 1.5 in and 24mm I think)
Adjustable wrenches from a small 6in to 24in
many sizes and types of screw drivers
duct and electrical tape
electrical connector kit
Knife and hack saw
hose clamps small to 6in sizes
bailing wire and 550 cord
torc wrench
Tire iron that fits truck and trailer
Full size spare (remember if you put larger tires on your vehicle your OEM spare is not full size any more)
Fluids (windshield washer, anti-freeze, brake, power steer, and oil + filter)
Hammer 3lb and regular claw hammer

Trailer:
More wood blocks
impact gun with sockets for wheels and stabilizer jacks
shovel
lever for stabilizer hitch
hand crank for stabilizer jacks
spare tire
2 sets of chocks
extension cord
generator
grease gun

As far as maintenance goes before you head out.
Truck:
check all fluids (maybe change before long trip)
check air filter
check all tires to include spare and make sure the spare comes down.
Trailer:
check all tires to include spare and again make sure it comes down.
check all lights
check brake away system
depending on how long between (check brakes and lube bearings)

I also just pulled my trailer out of storage and never used it last year. Set it up in the driveway for a few days. Made sure every appliance worked. Check to make sure the fridge and hot water heater worked both on gas and power. Put out the awning, changed batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, charged and checked water level in batteries, kicked on furnace/AC, and the sanitized water system.
2017 Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab shortbed 6.7 Cummins
2013 Rubicon 1905 toy hauler

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I really don't mean it that way. But when people ask me what tools they need, I assume they don't know how to use them. So I say take a credit card.

What I mean is that if you knew how to work on trucks and trailers, you'd likely already know what tools you're likely to need. So take a basic home tool set for quick tightening and pounding jobs. Credit card for the rest. Know your limitations. I know what I know, and I know what I don't know.

Yep this right here.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Cordless Impact Wrench is worth its weight in gold if you need to do a tire.

Quick story. Went to a Bills game in my wife's Explorer (seven adults!) and had a hitch carrier on the back. Brought the cordless impact to take it off if need be while tailgating. Fast forward to end of the game and my wife runs over a bottle in the parking lot blowing a tire. 4 drunk guys acting like a Nascar pit crew changing the tire after tearing the car apart to get the spare. I can't imagine if we had to do everything by hand.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
You are far more likely to pick up a nail in a tire than have a blow out. I recommend a tire plug kit. True, that is not the ideal way to repair a puncture. But if you are traveling on a Sunday or there are no nearby shops open, you can get the tire roadworthy in 30 minutes.

krobbe wrote:
K Charles wrote:

Not to mention that If if I break down close to home, I can get a tow home and work on it later. Traveling back and forth to work is a whole different dynamic than towing my trailer on a long trip. Note the quote in my sig. I want to have fun, not adventures.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)