cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tools to take on 2 month trip?

Bank_of_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
In late August we are driving from FL to UT, 2013 3/4 Suburban and 2013 23ft TT.

What should I do to the truck and trailer to prepare. It is stored on a lot near my house. Gasp, I haven't used it since February.

Also, what tools to take with us. I have a small air compressor already. And one of those things you drive up on to change the tire. And I have US Rider road service (cause I pull a horse trailer too).

Thanks

Judy
47 REPLIES 47

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
krobbe wrote:
Spare fuses for both TT and TV. (a couple of each size)
Voltmeter
A pack of screws for the cabinet hinges and other things(#6, #8, #10)
Gorilla Glue
grease
A combo screwdriver that includes the various tips(square, star, slotted, phillips)
channel locks pliers
hammer
large ratchet set that includes a 1/2" drive socket to fit lugnuts
1/2" drive torque wrench to torque lugnuts(100#)
bottle jack(10 or 12 ton)
cordless drill(for the TT stabilizer jacks) and bit to fit same
a good air pressure gauge (you have a compressor)
good voltage surge protection
motor oil
coolant(mixed 50/50)
windshield washer fluid
leveling blocks (I carry 2 sets of the orange ones)
comfortable chairs
beer and wine

And most of this can be purchased at any Walmart, as needed. Carrying all that doesn't leave much room for anything else.

I'll be sure to break down in a Walmart parking lot next time. :R
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
For any trip no matter the distance I have a hammer, adjustable wrench, pliers, a screw driver and a lug wrench. That is about it.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is my standard answer based on my trip to MT last year.

I practiced, took and used the following.
• Lower your TV spare tire and make sure the crank has not rusted tight.
• Make sure you have a real TV spare tire that can handle the load, not a “donut” type spare.
• Make sure you have a spare TT tire.
• Make sure you have the jacks and blocks to change the TT tire.
• Know where to place the jack and practice changing the tire. Jacking a TT can be a daunting task.
• Tire air gauge.
• Carry a torque wrench.
• I had a small 120 volt air compressor to top of the tires if needed.

The DW and I took a 6000 mile trip out west last year; we had a TV flat on the way out due to a rock puncture and a TT flat on the way home from a piece of metal. Both tire changes resulted in a 20 to 30 minute delay; rather than being stranded on a road side waiting for Road Service to find us.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
krobbe wrote:
Voltmeter
Gorilla Glue
grease
A combo screwdriver that includes the various tips(square, star, slotted, phillips)
channel locks pliers
hammer
motor oil
coolant(mixed 50/50)
windshield washer fluid
comfortable chairs
beer and wine

And most of this can be purchased at any Walmart, as needed. Carrying all that doesn't leave much room for anything else.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

APT
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I really don't mean it that way. But when people ask me what tools they need, I assume they don't know how to use them. So I say take a credit card.

What I mean is that if you knew how to work on trucks and trailers, you'd likely already know what tools you're likely to need. So take a basic home tool set for quick tightening and pounding jobs. Credit card for the rest. Know your limitations. I know what I know, and I know what I don't know.

I tend to agree. If you don't have a semi portable toolbox already or know how to diagnose things, a credit card will solve most problems.

My toolbox has deep well sockets, open/box end wrenches, adjustable, monkey, screwdrivers, hammer, multimeter and a few other odds/emds I picked up. I also have a socket set with SAE and metric and 3/6/9" extensions. These go on every car trip. For RVimg, I also take small hydraulic jack/stands because 8 tires doubles the risk. Tt is better when I can fix something myself in 10 minutes to keep us moving and not waste vacation time. For larger issues, credit card.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
An impact wrench is handy for changing tires with the appropriate sockets. An extension for the torque wrench is handy for tightening the lug nuts. Too hard to get way to them without one.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a heck of a difference in 1000 total miles traveling to work and return, and 1000 miles in a straight line (more or less) with a RV.

I took generators and an air compressor when I went to the west coast and back. Why? A lot of times I was a long way from service vehicles. For example, I checked my trailer tires while camping in Death Valley. One was low. Without the compressor, I'd have had to called in a some repair outfit to come into DVNP to air up my tires. I'd have had to floated a loaned to pay for that.

So it's not the same.

K Charles wrote:
People drive 1000 miles to work and back every month without tools but can't go 1000 miles in a straight line without worrying about a breakdown. If it is road worthy and maintained you should need nothing. Take some plastic and have fun.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
Duct tape. Don't forget the duct tape......

It's an old joke but...

For things that move and shouldn't; duct tape.

For things that don't move and should; WD40.
Larry

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
People drive 1000 miles to work and back every month without tools but can't go 1000 miles in a straight line without worrying about a breakdown. If it is road worthy and maintained you should need nothing. Take some plastic and have fun.

If you're prepared(even new stuff breaks), then not as much "plastic" is needed. And who wants to wait several hours for someone to rescue you on the side of the road? Being prepared also allows me to help others.
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Voltmeter
Gorilla Glue
grease
channel locks pliers
hammer
motor oil
coolant(mixed 50/50)
windshield washer fluid
comfortable chairs
beer and wine
Pics

L2R
Explorer
Explorer
4 things come to mind:

1. what is the most common issues and
2. what experience do you personally have?
3. what are you willing to do while on vacation?
4. do you have roadside assistance?

I think vibration is likely the root cause of most issues if you have done your checks before leaving. So electrical connections, screws, bolts and plumbing fittings my major concern.

tools to stay ahead of major issues, like air gauges, battery testers etc. keep you ahead of needing or using repair tools.
Just checked our bank account, we can retire today if I stop spending money now.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
12v test light, electrical tape
Shopping for Travel Trailer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape. Don't forget the duct tape......

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I really don't mean it that way. But when people ask me what tools they need, I assume they don't know how to use them. So I say take a credit card.

What I mean is that if you knew how to work on trucks and trailers, you'd likely already know what tools you're likely to need. So take a basic home tool set for quick tightening and pounding jobs. Credit card for the rest. Know your limitations. I know what I know, and I know what I don't know.