cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We seem to be living in a fast changing world...vehicle wise anyways. Lot of talk about how there will be no internal combustion engines available within the next 10-15 years or so, they all be zero emission electrical powered.

At this point I really don't know what is going to be available vehicle wise and although when we bought it new, we intended to trade in our 2015 gas engined vehicle in a new 2020 gas vehicle...at this point we've decided to keep what we have for a few years past 2020...just to see what shakes out in the vehicle market.

Given GM says they will introduce 20 new EV platforms in 2023 and I'm sure Ford will be there too...who knows what is going to be on the market.

I'm said to see Internal Combustion engines go...as I'm a enthusiast...but...

So my question for the day is what do you think your new tow vehicle you buy in 2030 or so...is going to be like and what will it's powerplant be ?
76 REPLIES 76

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
Lithium mining has a huge enviormental impact as well. Any form of energy storage and transfer (energy cannot be created or destroyed) has environmental implications. People tend to focus on that comes out of the tailpipe (or lack therof) but the overall picture is much larger.
Oil extraction, transportation and refining has its issues too.
Hydrogen has its footprint also.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Electricity will be increasingly produced by solar, wind, tides, and hydro. It is clean energy which will translate to electric cars and electric trucks. Some will be used as tow vehicles. Trailers and motorhomes may start getting much smaller.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
1320Fastback wrote:
Reisender wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
Kevinwa wrote:
I like how electric vehicles are referred to as “zero emission”. It’s like electricity grows on trees to some.

X2

X3

While the vehicle itself in use is "Zero Emissions", getting there is not!
To truly claim that "Zero Emissions" the electricity would need to come from either wind or hyrdo. The batteries would need to 100% recyclable without toxic chemicals, not likely to happen soon.

Curious. What toxic chemicals are in batteries. I know lead acid are toxic and can’t go to a landfill but don’t know what’s in a lithium ion battery that makes it toxic.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

Electric vehicles are not angels.

Thank you

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries are a dirty business, and many places are shutting down.
Guardian article on EV's

The greens cant get it into their heads that moving the pollution to another location doesn't cure the worldwide problem. This becomes a NIMBY issue in North America, and the media plays along with it.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's funny how people concentrate on the mouse in the room and ignore the elephant. Look at how much pollution is emitted by cargo ships if you want a eye opener. Yet it is rarely brought up in conversation.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double post

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasmnile wrote:
10 or 15 years from now the green house emissions pablum we've been getting fed will be replaced with some other hysteria.

31 years ago environmental experts Ted Danson & Whoopi Goldberg stood on the stage of the Democratic National Convention and told the crowd if global warming wasn't reversed in 10 years the planet would be inundated. Yet, here we are.....

ICE engines are going nowhere unless outlawed by the gubbiment.
Don't forget the person in Washington that said the world would end in 12 years. Remember the crazy people who use to hold up signs (the end is near) that people use to laugh at, now we elect them to Washington.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
Kevinwa wrote:
I like how electric vehicles are referred to as “zero emission”. It’s like electricity grows on trees to some.

X2

X3

While the vehicle itself in use is "Zero Emissions", getting there is not!
To truly claim that "Zero Emissions" the electricity would need to come from either wind or hyrdo. The batteries would need to 100% recyclable without toxic chemicals, not likely to happen soon.

Curious. What toxic chemicals are in batteries. I know lead acid are toxic and can’t go to a landfill but don’t know what’s in a lithium ion battery that makes it toxic.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

Electric vehicles are not angels.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Reisender wrote:

Lithium batteries are not regulated as hazardous waste, but lithium, cobalt and nickel will still leach out of them and into the groundwater if they are put in a landfill. Lithium mining has a huge enviormental impact as well. Any form of energy storage and transfer (energy cannot be created or destroyed) has environmental implications. People tend to focus on that comes out of the tailpipe (or lack therof) but the overall picture is much larger.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
10 or 15 years from now the green house emissions pablum we've been getting fed will be replaced with some other hysteria.

31 years ago environmental experts Ted Danson & Whoopi Goldberg stood on the stage of the Democratic National Convention and told the crowd if global warming wasn't reversed in 10 years the planet would be inundated. Yet, here we are.....

Your statement is as ignorant as Goldbergs and Dansons. The ICE is most definitely going to disappear on Americas hiways. Maybe not in 10 to 15 years but it is coming. And guess what, They will probably be Chinese. The Chinese government is throwing its full weight and treasury into Electric vehicle development while the good ol USA is populated by people that refuse to open their eyes and look at the way the world is changing. If we Americans refuse to get behind the research and funding for non traditional energy, they will eat our lunch!!!

You have your opinion, I have mine,without being denigrating or condescending. Enjoy your weekend.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:

Your statement is as ignorant as Goldbergs and Dansons. The ICE is most definitely going to disappear on Americas hiways. Maybe not in 10 to 15 years but it is coming. And guess what, They will probably be Chinese. The Chinese government is throwing its full weight and treasury into Electric vehicle development while the good ol USA is populated by people that refuse to open their eyes and look at the way the world is changing. If we Americans refuse to get behind the research and funding for non traditional energy, they will eat our lunch!!!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
KD4UPL wrote:
I think most of these predictions of the demise of the ICE are largely made by young, tech-savvy urbanites. I don't think they have a clue what their predictions mean for the rest of the country.
Farmers, loggers, and excavators use ICE equipment all day long (and sometimes all night). Even if there were electric combines, tractors, log skiders, etc. exactly where do they think they will recharged in the middle of a wheat field or the forest? Equipment doesn't come back to a farm or business every night where there might be grid power. It stays out where it is needed.
Then there is the economics of everyone getting new electric vehicles. It's very common to see 20 year old vehicles on the road. 30 year old vehicles aren't rare. I even see some 40 year old models regularly enough. There's no way people that drive all these older vehicles are going to go spend the $40,000 or more that it takes to buy a new electric car. My own fleet of 4 vehicles range from 17 to 9 years old. They continue to serve us well. When I buy a vehicle it's typically 5 to 10 years old.
I suspect that the vast majority of towing will still be ICE powered in 15 years. For all the hype on electric cars now they're only about 3% of all vehicles.
Extremely well stated. I can see the use of electric commuter cars to reduce pollution in the major cities.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A small diesel with a racing turbocharger and water injection that runs on fuel made from plants. It will have a 10 speed automatic gear box with a split rear axle.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
I think my next couple of trucks will be Cummins or Powerstroke powered but after that I'm going to guess it will be an internal combustion bi fuel engine with some sort of regenerative braking.... likely electric.

I think workhorse is working on something like this.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think my next couple of trucks will be Cummins or Powerstroke powered but after that I'm going to guess it will be an internal combustion bi fuel engine with some sort of regenerative braking.... likely electric.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5