cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to winterize

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rickwood 2607 ultralite. Here in my area of California it's been getting down into the high 20s at night. I was wondering if it would be necessary to winterize. The trailer is covered and the underbelly is "sealed" meaning I don't see any tanks underneath. Never had any problems with any of our other trailers but maybe I'm pushing my luck. Thanks for any input.
17 REPLIES 17

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
RooDude09 wrote:
I have a Rickwood 2607 ultralite. Here in my area of California it's been getting down into the high 20s at night. I was wondering if it would be necessary to winterize. The trailer is covered and the underbelly is "sealed" meaning I don't see any tanks underneath. Never had any problems with any of our other trailers but maybe I'm pushing my luck. Thanks for any input.

It's your money. why try to make it our decision?

AirSupport
Explorer
Explorer
In storage, winterize before the temps get at or below 32*F. Simple

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I don't worry too much about the linesm but the fittings freezing. I winterized after using our rig in November, the dewinterized a few days ago to use this weekend and will winterize again on Monday. Using air it takes maybe 30 minutes each time and it worth the fun of using it!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it takes less time to winterize then to repair the leaks if you don't winterize and it freezes and the pipes burst

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
This year we camped well into November. Nights in the mid twenties and days in the 50's. It was warm enough during the days and the electric space heater kept the TT interior in the upper 50's at night also.

It never got cold enough for long enough to freeze the pipes.

Once home we winterized.

It is so simple, we drained and bypassed the water heater. Hooked the water pump to a hose dropped into a bottle of anti-freeze and turned on the tap. Three gallons of RV anti-freeze and all the faucets were flushed. The hardware store had the fitting we needed for the pump hose.

We also drained all the tanks.

It is the old ounce of prevention story.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing about using air vs. the pink stuff, is you don't have anything to do to de-winterize, just hook up water and go.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in West Texas. When the temps / lows got to about 28 degrees I winterized. I have a TT with an Arctic package - but I'm not willing to take the risk. It was actually very simple - drained everything including the low point water line and water heater, turned a few valves and pumped about 3 gallons of RV antifreeze into the system. This is my first trailer and the first time I did this - following the directions it took me about 30 minutes. To un-do the winterization I can't imagine it taking any longer than 30 minutes - so why not?

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
I live in TN, and although it doesn't usually stay below below freezing for extended periods of time, I winterize by just bypassing and draining the hot water heater, blowing out the waterlines, and dumping RV antifreeze into the traps. It only takes 15 minutes and is worth saving a ton of money and hassle if lines freeze.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
Just winterized our MH. Even though Texas usually gets only 1 stretch of below freezing temps (48-72 hours) I thought it not worth risking it. The exercise, which is documented, was fairly easy (45-60 minutes) and the jug of pink stuff was less than $5.

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like winterizeing maybe be a good idea for next year. My trailer has the fitting to attach the suction hose to. Seems pretty easy to do before the cover goes on it. I think it dips bellow freezing most of the night but has been getting to 50 degrees during the day. Went out and drained the low point lines today. Had to get under there with a pair of pliers as the caps wouldn't come off by hand.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We winterize before the temp falls below freezing. It's not worth risking water damage to put it off. I've de-winterized to use it in the winter, but usually just carry water and leave it winterized for our winter trips.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Below freezing is below freezing. Have you ever looked at how small the water lines are in an RV? Does not take very long for that small diameter to freeze solid. Doesn't matter how warm it is the next day if the water freezes in the line it's going to bust the cheap pex fittings and IMHO the cost of the water damage inside the RV isn't worth the chance.

I had my MH right in my driveway and ONE time I waited too long to winterize. I found myself outside in a freezing rain, sleet, high winds and a pending snow storm coming trying to winterize the MH.:R

After that stupid mistake that MH got winterized immediately after the last trip when it still was 70 degrees out. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
RooDude09 wrote:
It's cover with a Adco cover

OK

That same cover holding some of the heat in at night is going to keep the heat out during the day when it warms up..........

Part of what you need to look at is the balance of above and below freezing temps - are there more below freezing hours per day then there are above freezing hours per day?

But even then you're pushing your luck when in the 20s and no heat source in the rig. The cold is going to seep into those smaller water lines. The first time you power up your water pump, listen to how long it runs. With a flashlight, check everywhere for leaks and outside under the rig.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
It's cover with a Adco cover