cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which GPS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our recent trip to FL we realized that a GPS system would be very handy. We managed okay with computers, maps and Google but it was obvious that a real time system would be better.

We usually cover a lot of territory at a slow pace, checking out things as we go, so we are on the road for several weeks at a time.

Looking on the internet there are a host of models from $69.00 to $369.99; basically more features more money.

My question is, which features do I really need?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
36 REPLIES 36

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
Google maps on a smartphone or tablet. Free to use, free updates, good traffic updates.

I use my smartphone and Google maps often, and it works well. The only problem is, if you don't have cell service, and need to find anything... You're out of luck. You can save a route, so that you'll get navigation even if you lose signal, but if you need to change that route, and find the campground you'reat has no service, you're out of luck.

I often will use my smartphone to find an address, use Google maps for an aerial view, get an idea of the route and surrounding area, and then use my truck's GPS to handle the navigation.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
Gps may be good, but you better watch the road and signs. That is what works pretty good for me. Thanks for the reply. Happy trails.

x2 on watching the signs. I've yet to use an infallible gps, every one I've used has steered me wrong more than a handful of times...
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I updated one of my hand-held Garmins with the 2014.04 maps just released. It also loads a copy to my Mac for use with RoadTrip and BaseCamp. I checked and didn't see the road at all.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
john&bet wrote:
I have a question for you. If your Garmin is so up to date would you see if a road numbered Indiana 750 is shown. It has been open since Dec. 10,2013. For reference it is off of US-50 east of I-65 as a bypass around North Vernon,In. I personally do not own an up dated GPS. Thanks.

I have not updated my Garmin yet this year, as I have an older model, I'm only allowed two updates annually, so I'm waiting for my spring road trip to get a bit closer.

The road is not shown on my Nuvi, which was last updated July 2013.

Out of curiosity I checked my smartphone.

Google shows the road being partly completed... picture attached.

BING maps from Microsoft does not show the road at all. (Ditto for Streets 2013)

MapQuest (TOMTOM) does not show the road at all.

I would assume it takes a year or more for brand new roads to make it into the base map for navigators.

May be that explains why so many truckers missed the signs to turn and went straight ahead then stopped on the berm and attempted to turn around. They made a mess in several places. One even got arrested when he got stuck and was found to be drunk x-2. The \+complete bypass will not be completed till about this time in '16. Gps may be good, but you better watch the road and signs. That is what works pretty good for me. Thanks for the reply. Happy trails.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

BARRY2010
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin 2555LMT

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
I have a question for you. If your Garmin is so up to date would you see if a road numbered Indiana 750 is shown. It has been open since Dec. 10,2013. For reference it is off of US-50 east of I-65 as a bypass around North Vernon,In. I personally do not own an up dated GPS. Thanks.

I have not updated my Garmin yet this year, as I have an older model, I'm only allowed two updates annually, so I'm waiting for my spring road trip to get a bit closer.

The road is not shown on my Nuvi, which was last updated July 2013.

Out of curiosity I checked my smartphone.

Google shows the road being partly completed... picture attached.

BING maps from Microsoft does not show the road at all. (Ditto for Streets 2013)

MapQuest (TOMTOM) does not show the road at all.

I would assume it takes a year or more for brand new roads to make it into the base map for navigators.

jc1843
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 7 inch Garmin-- it shows traffic, and amount of delay, and also which lane to be in on highway interchanges.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think most of us who've had one brand or another for a while understand not to put ALL your faith in what the unit says. All you have to do is change one setting by mistake and the next thing you know, you're towing your rig down a one-lane dirt road that you didn't want to take. They are very helpful most of the time, but you still have to use the old coconut. I have had a Garmin for over 5 years and it's served me well. Just bought a new one for my daughter, too. I like Garmin better than the Ford My Touch system in my wifes Explorer, hands down. Much more intuitive.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I have both a Garmin Nuvi for the windshield, a Google smartphone, as well as a Garmin built into my new truck.

I like the Nuvi, because you can take it inside and play with it while planning a trip. My nuvi is seven years old and still gets free map updates from Garmin.

On the smartphone GOOgle used to let you plan a trip and save it on your account using a laptop, and then pull that up on the smartphone, but that feature is gone now. I've found traffic is most accurate on the smartphone, because it is real time over the internet from the government, rather than updated periodically by radio station downloads (thats how the stand-alone gps get their traffic.)

The Garmin in my truck is handy because of the huge 8.4" display. The voice recognition feature is awful, so you have to pull over and park to change destinations or search for something... the nanny state won't let you use the keypad while driving. It uses the Internet to find things, which is a feature that costs extra - when my trial runs out, I don't think I will renew that feature.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Robin1953 wrote:
Also get the feature to enter the length, height, width and weight of the RV. Not perfect but at least gives you a chance to avoid the one lane road to a dead end that a car GPS will lead you. Don't ask how I know...:-)

Is this a common feature on new GPS? Seems like it is something that would only be found on trucker / RV specific units, which in my shopping appear to command a vastly premium price for what they do.

You are correct in that it is on the trucker/RV units. I won't be without them in the future. I would just use truckers atlas like before rather than be stranded as before. YMMV
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Robin1953 wrote:
Also get the feature to enter the length, height, width and weight of the RV. Not perfect but at least gives you a chance to avoid the one lane road to a dead end that a car GPS will lead you. Don't ask how I know...:-)

Is this a common feature on new GPS? Seems like it is something that would only be found on trucker / RV specific units, which in my shopping appear to command a vastly premium price for what they do.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Garmin....several years old. Everyone we've talked to has had an occasion side-trip caused by the GPS. We just last night pulled in from a trip to FL and were still laughing at the point where ours told us "make a U turn!"....problem was we would have had to go over the concrete divider on I-75. Oops. Seems they all do this from time to time. But ours has been otherwise trouble free.

Highly agree that the larger size is better. Ours is maybe 3x5" at the most and would really be nice to have a quick glance at a larger screen. We're heading to CO later this summer and may look into a new one. Definitely the larger screen and definitely lifetime updates.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a Garmin Nuvi for the windshield, a Google smartphone, as well as a Garmin built into my new truck.

I like the Nuvi, because you can take it inside and play with it while planning a trip. My nuvi is seven years old and still gets free map updates from Garmin.

On the smartphone GOOgle used to let you plan a trip and save it on your account using a laptop, and then pull that up on the smartphone, but that feature is gone now. I've found traffic is most accurate on the smartphone, because it is real time over the internet from the government, rather than updated periodically by radio station downloads (thats how the stand-alone gps get their traffic.)

The Garmin in my truck is handy because of the huge 8.4" display. The voice recognition feature is awful, so you have to pull over and park to change destinations or search for something... the nanny state won't let you use the keypad while driving. It uses the Internet to find things, which is a feature that costs extra - when my trial runs out, I don't think I will renew that feature.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps on a smartphone or tablet. Free to use, free updates, good traffic updates.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT