cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who actually enjoys towing?

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Me personally, I really enjoy that part of a trip. I like to hear my truck work, and I have a standard, so that makes it more of an interactive experience. I can’t stop fiddling with things, so every trip I think about something new I want to try, or something to add to the truck. I just added an EGT and boost gauge and new tires to my truck, so this trip will be about what temps I am actually running, and to see how the new tires do; maybe before my next trip I will install a tuner.

So for those of you that enjoy that part of a trip, what do you enjoy most?
58 REPLIES 58

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve towed TT’s and 5’ers, traveled along with others towing trailers, and own a few flatbed utility trailers for use at home. When I first started RV’ing with a truck camper, I was towing a car hauler around behind it a lot. Today, while I still have the equipment to tow with the TC, I prefer to tow nothing. Not because I don’t like towing itself, but because of the changes to our traveling style it forces us to make. Can’t go there. Can’t park there. Can’t turn around there. Can’t fit there.

That’s why in over 30 years of RV ownership all I’ve ever owned are truck campers. I’ve also got the boss’s support on that. If I didn’t, things would be different I assure you. :W

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I have my F-350 6.7 diesel,yes I love to tow. It just works so much better than my previous F-250 gas.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
I actually enjoy towing, getting the trailer, truck and everything else ready too. Once I'm on the road the truck pulls like there's nothing back there, but....

That's when everything goes according to plan. One trip we left late and got caught in a traffic jam in Phoenix and daylight was saying goodby. So a trip that normally takes 2 hours took us over 5 hours and when we got to the campsite we had no flashlights, everybwheody was tired and beat down.

We made it, still had fun, and a trip to remember...

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Love to tow, love to travel, would be on the road 24/7 365 if I weren't married. Love the journey don't care about the destination. However, luckily she likes to RV and travel too, just not as much as myownself.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I love towing and just driving in general. Long stretches are slowly getting more difficult with all of us and having younger kids means you have to eventually stop somewhere anyways. So we try to do the trips in manageable jaunts.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would tow around the block then back home sometimes just so I can do it.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The best part of towing is after I have backed into a campsite.

I have to agree with ppine on this one.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
LanceRKeys wrote:
I have thought about that when reading reviews of the new trucks, I like to work my truck and have the need to down shift from time to time, with a new truck there’s not nearly as much to do. Maybe I’ll know in another 17-18 years when I buy me a 2017-2018 diesel.

I enjoy working on my vehicles and have never bought a new car/truck (and never will). Bought a few brand new motorcycles though. In a few years I look at the 17-18s too..LOL..

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
After towing with a 1/2 ton and now towing with a Duramax it is fun to have all that power!
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Terryallan, a Tesla will eat the tuned V8 for lunch.

But what will it sound like while it is doing it? ssssssss? And will it tow my camper for 500 miles?????? If it won't tow my camper, or run for 1000 miles at a time with out charging, and sound pretty at the same time. It's useless. Well, I guess you could use it for a golf cart at the CG.

I rode in a new tesla in March two times. It was a rocket but not a car for us.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto GMW's comments and love of all things like that/this...

difference is am not a professional machinist, just design stuff that machinist & others make
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best part of towing is after I have backed into a campsite.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Terryallan, a Tesla will eat the tuned V8 for lunch.

But what will it sound like while it is doing it? ssssssss? And will it tow my camper for 500 miles?????? If it won't tow my camper, or run for 1000 miles at a time with out charging, and sound pretty at the same time. It's useless. Well, I guess you could use it for a golf cart at the CG.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Towing in Idaho is enjoyable. I pulled my ZL1 down to California (Fontana and Crows Landing)in a 28' race trailer this Spring. That was not so fun once you hit Cali. I am not sure who's idea it is to restrict vehicles pulling trailers to 55 mph, but they should be beat. Cali sucks but other than that, just another day in the office.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1