cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why an F250 over F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab

River_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
Given both truck would be SRW, why pick a F250 over the F350. The price is very close and just wonder what am I missing?

I have always picked the F350 in the past when I plowed snow, but I am no longer plowing.
44 REPLIES 44

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I agree about the leaf springs and differentials. The bearing are also somewhat different on the one ton. I bought one in 2002 and would not trade it for a brand new Japanese truck.

It amazes me that this error remains in the Ford literature and is subsequently regurgitated here by posters...the axle diameter difference in the literature only applies to the axle assembly on the dually F350 which is supplied by Dana...the SRW F350 and the F250 use identical Ford Sterling manufactured assemblies...in fact...according to my BIL who is the number 2 in command at Ford Axle Sterling in Sterling Heights, Mi, has told me that the assemblies are not identified at the plant as to whether they will be installed is a F350 or F250...that decision is made at the truck plant and is determined by brakes, springs and the spacer block that are installed on the identical axle assemblies shipped from the Ford Sterling Axle plant..

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:
It depends on how the F250 is equipped. If it has the 10K package, its the same as a F350 except for 2" vs 4" blocks on the rear and the sticker on the door frame.

Not correct, at least on the '15's. My neighbor and I had the exact same truck, mine a 250 and his a 350, before i upgraded to the '17. My GVW was 10k, his was 11.5k. In addition to the different bigger block, there is also an extra leaf in the spring. My CCC was 2150 and his is 32xx.

With the '17+, the 350's have a totally different rear axle.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
May want to watch this YouTube vid!

New F250, New Big Toy Hauler, Air bags, 4" lift, Aftermarket tires, Marginal hitch all went wrong on maiden voyage.

"CHP 5th Wheel And Truck Accident Heavy Duty Towing Ride Along Ep 177"

The fancy chrome piece on the fenders stating F250 or F350 would have made no difference. He was probably within all weights of the door sticker.

I’ve said for years the door sticker is only good until sold. Raising the truck, putting oversized tires on it, etc rendered the factory ratings on the door stickers worthless. The owner most likely got his info from RV.net and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t replace it doing the same thing over again expecting different results.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on how the F250 is equipped. If it has the 10K package, its the same as a F350 except for 2" vs 4" blocks on the rear and the sticker on the door frame.

In some states, having a 1-ton rated pickup means you get to buy more expensive plates, and buy more expensive insurance. It also makes you liable for the 10K commercial laws, if you look like a commercial truck (signage, ladder racks in some states, etc) We're not talking about the 26K commercial stuff, but the 10K COMMERCIAL laws.

If you're not going to do commercial hauling with the truck, and you live in a state that doesn't tax the **** outa ya, get the F350 for the few extra hundred bucks it costs.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree about the leaf springs and differentials. The bearing are also somewhat different on the one ton. I bought one in 2002 and would not trade it for a brand new Japanese truck.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Because some people just can't escape the past. The "3/4 ton" moniker was given decades ago, and while it may have meant a significantly different truck then, it doesn't today. When it comes to trucks though, old habits die hard. Real hard. I do, however agree with those that have said there is a "legal, or technical" reason to de-rate them for some states, areas etc.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
May want to watch this YouTube vid!

New F250, New Big Toy Hauler, Air bags, 4" lift, Aftermarket tires, Marginal hitch all went wrong on maiden voyage.

"CHP 5th Wheel And Truck Accident Heavy Duty Towing Ride Along Ep 177"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Well there must be a reason since most dealers stock a lot of both near me. I'm perfectly happy with my 2500. It's more than enough for my 28' 9000 lb 5th wheel. A 3500 would be overkill. In reality my 2500 CTD is too. If you gotta tow big then go 1 ton. If not then get what floats your boat.

A 450, 550, that would be overkill, 350 over 250 ,far from it. But I agree your 250 is enough for what you tow, but you don't have a lot of wiggle room above what you have now, not much room to grow.

For the difference a 350 is a much wiser choice for fifth wheel towing. Trailer towing, well thats something entirely different as far 250,350 debate.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
After owning a '15 250 and then having to buy a '17 350 to upgrade to a 5th wheel toy hauler, I always recommend anyone on the fence go with the 350. With a minimal price difference but much better cargo capacity on the 350, to me it's a no brainer. My trucks were equipped the same and my cargo capacity went from 2150 to 3477. Here in FL, registration fees are based on weight, so the price difference isn't much.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Why have 1 ton trucks why not have everyone drive 2 1/2 ton or 5 ton? You might as well ask why are there so many basically the same models of car, trucks, vans, etc. instead of one of each. From a practical point of view it does not make sense, there should be one "best" vehicle for each use and everyone should recognize that and buy that one vehicle, BUT, that does not sell units. Everyone wants to think they and their things are unique or special in some way.

Long after I am dead people will ask "why did people drive themselves in the old days, didn't they know a robot driver was safer" 🙂
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
changing the emblems reminded me of the old days when I ran an early 99 Ford rattler. The powerstroke emblem was the small one on the front of the front fender. I peeled those off and installed 2000 ones on the sides of the doors. The big dogs let me get off the porch after that. :B

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
A lot of HOAs prohibit 1 ton trucks. A friend of mine ran into this issue. His fix? He replaced the F350 emblems with F250 emblems. The HOA gestapo was then satisfied.
For the same reason, Ford offers the lower GVW as an option. Some HOAs have limits, and in some places registration costs more with higher GVWRs.

So to answer the question, there is no real reason to get an F250. Just some made up rules by busybodies that love to tell others what they can have.

Exactly!!!
That and registration cost!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

River_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
Great Information. Thank You.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I bought F250 because it was the best used deal on the lot and at the time I lived in MD with all the signs noted above, including one in my subdivision of no pass through for vehicles over 5T GVWR. It wasn't enforced in our neighborhood for one tons and a few Class C's but the sign was their and many signs in DC area including some that state all vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVWR must stop at scales. Beautiful area but rules are outrageous.

Wish I had the F350 but for a smaller 5th Wheel I'm fine and 6.2 gas gives me plenty cargo to carry the pin weight.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
The OP lives in MD. I95 is labeled no trucks over 5 tons in the hammer lane. I think the BW parkway also, and some other garbage. However, rules is rules, and that is why the 250/2500 exists. Wife is from NJ, and we travel MD regularly, also parking restrictions in NJ. Loaded for camping, with the 5er (a half ton towable model) we still have about 500 pounds of payload, in the F250, so it works for us. Without the "rules" I cannot see a reason for the 250/2500 class.