cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do you apply Luan on to filon?

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
Why could you not glue the luan to the camper frame work, then glue the filon to the luan? I understand they put the backing on first, but wondering if it would be better the other way?
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it
14 REPLIES 14

tunkcurt1
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely want to laminate the luan to the FRP prior to mounting. That is the only way to ensure you will get a good bond between those materials. If you don't get a good bond, you run the risk of delamination.

Azdel is a great alternative, but you will not get the same rigidity that you would with the luan so you might have to make that up with the mounting structure. It is also quite a bit more expensive.

Make sure you get FRP that is designed for outdoor use.
2005 Sportscoach Encore 380DS
330HP CAT Turbo Diesel

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Judging by what stainless countertops cost (just had some completed) and what camper manufacturers and dealers are charging for a new unit. It' in my estimation that a camper body could be built out of all stainless steel and not mess around with rotting, problematic materials.

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
what about using these panels as underlayment, a replacement for luan?
B.Pettitt
Arctic Fox 811

Alschott
Explorer
Explorer
The plastic panels at Home Depot/Lowes are pebble finish, fiberglas reinforced polyester. They are waterproof, but I would hesitate on using them on exterior walls since they may not have UV inhibitors in the resin. Also they are not recommended for ceiling panels (I couldn't see a good reason for that).
If you want to use them, add a bit of UV blocker to the resin overcoat to prevent chalking or breaking down in sunlight.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
The white, pebble surface, plastic type sheets that I see at Lowes and Home Depot. Is this stuff suitable for the exterior of a camper? UV resistant? Waterproof?

Thanks
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of composites available; uni-directional based thermoplastic composite ($$$), starboard, etc that I would choose before luan.

The only reasons I can think of to use luan are cost and weight. It is not very durable...

If you are rebuilding look around for something more robust from the marine industry. These Guys carry a lot of materials; Jamestown Distributors
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Side note: FRP is fiber reinforced plastic and a version of it in flexible sheets can be bought at many big box hardware stores.
There are many uses for the FRP product.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Anyone know of an Azdel and/or a Filon retail seller in the South?
B.Pettitt
Arctic Fox 811

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
"Robert Weed Plywood is an exclusive distributor of Azdel Composite Panels which are used to replace wood in RV Sidewalls. Made in the USA, Azdel Composite Panels are constructed using a blend of polypropylene and fiberglass, creating an extremely strong and lightweight wall."

link-->

Good luck. Let us know how your re-done nose cone turns out!

*note to self: check out the new 2015 Ford Explorer; they incorporate Azdel paneling technology into the body...
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I am actually rebuilding the nose of my artic fox, and was wondering why you could not put the underlayment on first then just install the filon on top of it? I am looking into azel.
B.Pettitt
Arctic Fox 811

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....Crane Composites manufactures FRP (chopped stranded fiberglass panels) in many, many grades. The thinner and least expensive FRP rolls/sheets have higher moisture pass-through. Also, manufacturing hung or composite RV shells/walls requires exceptionally clean facilities (atmospherically controlled and dust controlled lamination room). You'll want to get a tour of any potential RV manufacturing facility's "lamination room" as part of your buyer decision-making due diligence. The Crane Composites fabrication engineering notes are very clear:

"CCI recommends that the moisture content of the substrate (lauan
plywood, or Azdel) be no greater than 12% at the time of lamination
and that the glue coverage between the Crane Composites panel and the substrate be 100% coverage at the weight and thickness recommended by the adhesive manufacturer. Prior to lamination the frp panel must be free of dust, moisture, particulates or backside contaminants to ensure 100% bond. The quality of the substrate
surface must also be free of dust or particulates prior to lamination.
CCI will not be responsible for any loss resulting from sub-standard
lamination processes
."

So, if you do more research into what Crane calls "substrates", or the bonding surface the FRP will be adhered to, you may want to focus on the Azdel substrate, and its excellent moisture resistance. Also, the adhesives area is also very critical (depending on the adhesive chosen by the various RV manufacturers, there is another set of adhesive application criteria that will usually involve application using very tight (PLC) process control automation).

Concluding, manufacturing an RV (or, any other road-going unit) shell with FRP paneling is a very, very finicky manufacturing operation, requiring extremely tight process control...

Good luck in your hunt for an FRP-clad shell.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Jeepers92 wrote:
Why could you not glue the luan to the camper frame work, then glue the filon to the luan?

I couldn't do it because I don't have the capability to build RV walls. I doubt that anyone has the capabilities to build RVs in their garage, regardless of what steps are used.
Bob

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The question should be, why use luan at all. Has to be the cheapest least water resistant material on the planet yet they use it in situations where it is pretty well guaranteed to get wet and fall to bit.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a guess, but I imagine getting all the bubbles out between the filon and luan while working on the side of a camper could be an issue. Much simpler when you can run the sheets between rollers to push out any air pockets.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer