cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife wants to move to a Class A, or C - bigger

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Bigfoot Truck Camper for several years now, in fact this is my second camper. Every two years I buy a new truck just to haul the camper around. So between the camper and truck I have a fair amount of money invested in truck camping. I hardly use the truck for anything beside truck camping.

The kids no longer go camping with us but the grand kids do, so my wife wants to move to a Class A, or C camper.

I have been to Alaska with my truck camper and in every corner of Canada plus several different States in the United States.

I like my truck camper mainly because I can take it anywhere.

You may have noticed that I didn't said "my wife wants to move upto a Class A or C. That's because I don't figure its a move up.

I was just wondering if I am the only person out there getting pressure to go to a different type of camper?

I have won for 2019 but 2020 is coming soon. LOL
45 REPLIES 45

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Another thought is to look at getting a smaller trailer to tow that can be used for the grand kids. I have a 12ft cargo trailer that I'm converting into a mini ATV toy hauler complete with bathroom and kitchen. It's tight but for pre-teenage kids, they are happier with that versus sleeping in a tent. If hauling toys, bikes, ATVs, etc... isn't so much of an issue, get something like a small scamp travel trailer that is 13ft and gives the kids their own RV space.

For the wife and I, the truck camper offers the greatest flexibility in being able to go just about anywhere we want while still providing the conveniences and comforts we like. We are smaller people and that does help for getting past each other in our camper that doesn't have any slides. That being said, I do think that if we were in the market for something different, I would have to either step up to a triple slide truck camper or risk getting pushed into some sort of travel trailer.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on how you camp and where you go. After 20 years of a TT, we are ready to try something new, and have recently acquired a TC in need of a little TLC....The TT is great, at 34' and one bedroom we have all the room we need, large fresh and holding tanks, large fridge full bath with glass shower enclosure etc. The problem is you are limited in how you can travel. Leave home and drive to the CG, great. Set it up on the beach with no hookups for a week, great. Try to make stops and see stuff along the way, not so great. Finding places to park and buy gas require significant advance planning.

My DW is not the sit-under-the-awning kind, she likes to be on the move going and seeing and doing. So we are looking forward to traveling differently with a park-anywhere TC.

We thought about a C, but we're still working so not a lot of time to use it. If we get the chance to go cross-country when we retire then will probably get a C.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
I am having the same battle, the wife wants a travel trailer, I love my TC if I had a place with more land I would keep both but I don't. So it could happen this summer.:(

I lost that conversation last spring. SWMBO wanted a couch, a proper (dry) bathroom and a bed that she could easily get into.

I went along with her wishes but after nearly 20 years of TCs I wanted SHORT! We found a barely used, 2 year old 5th wheel, 28' nose to tail.

Sold the Eagle Cap privately.

That is THE HAPPY BOSS sitting under the awning.

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned 3 class A's, I say give it a shot. I always flat towed something behind them so we could go anywhere. You might be surprised how comfortable they are. I had 34, 40, and a 45 footer.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can worry yourself out of just about anything. May as well stay home, wrap yourself in bubble wrap, and hide under the bed...

You aren't buying it to roll it over. You aren't driving it to roll it over.

Get what you can compromise on. If you roll it over and die, you can come back to the forum and say "I told you so!"

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this works. One dog was a friend's. We were hunting grouse in Alaska. He slept on the dinnette bunk and both dogs slept in the master with me. No trouble staying warm that night.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
6)

You must have old dogs.
Our 12 yo Jack Russel Terriers make jump from dinette seat to the bed with no sweat.

One young, one old. We chose the layout that puts a closet and refrigerator between dinette seat and bed. A former dog could get up on the step and no farther.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
6) Bed location ensures dogs will not attempt to join us in bed, or ride there.

You must have old dogs.
Our 12 yo Jack Russel Terriers make jump from dinette seat to the bed with no sweat.

Yep, if I could post a picture I could show proof that's wasn't the case with my lab.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Sunlite pop-up truck camper from 1995-98, then went to a Lance Squire 4000, a 9 1/2 foot truck camper. From there, we went to a 36 foot toyhauler and medium duty International 4700 while the kids were growing (2005-2017). Now that kids are grown and not camping with us, going back to a 9 1/2 foot Lance 915 for just the two of us.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am having the same battle, the wife wants a travel trailer, I love my TC if I had a place with more land I would keep both but I don't. So it could happen this summer.:(

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

You must have old dogs.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of discussion prior to settling on our current system. Overriding for the truck camper were:
1) Except for a Sprinter class B, the only way to get factory 4X4.
2) Less expensive than a Sprinter class B.
3) Our friends had to leave their Sprinter class B in Alaska when the transmission went out.
4) More room than a Sprinter class B.
5) Separate bedroom from living area accommodates differing bedtimes.
7) Neither of us likes driving huge vehicles.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Man, I feel your pain. I had a tuck camper and diesel pickup in the early 2000's. What a great rig. Either towed a box trailer or a boat trailer. Could drop the camper and put it back on in 10 minutes. Took it to Alaska in 2005 - what a wonderful trip. My wife flew up for a week.
Now that we're retired, we decided to get back into RVing. Knew my wife would not go for truck camping again. So we got a Super C and pull a fullsize SUV. Have done 2 crosscountry trips so far. We're going to replicate the 2005 trip to Alaska. Wife will fly back for most of September when we'll be bird hunting and fishing and then fly back for the return trip in October.
We have found that the extra room of the Class A would be really nice but the Class C does drive great. My wife drives rest area to rest area which gives me some break. She was not comfortable sitting behind the wheel of a Class A but admittedly never tried to drive it.
Good luck.
Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sprinter chassis C's are not all that stable. I had one for 4 years. It has a narrow wheel base. Not a scary ride, just not as stable as my current rig.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
To the OP and even to Gjac, have you looked at the "Cruiser" RV's?
The Phoenix and BT cruisers may be that halfway point both are having wives lean towards. Slightly narrower than most C's, do have slides for space, and kind of fill that Halfway niche between a TC and a big motorhome.
Just a thought.

BT Cruiser Phoenix Cruiser
Yes I have, your right it does seem like a nice compromise. Also considering a TC and short C. They all seem to be about 24 or 25 ft long. The B plus with out slides to too cramped but the slides really open it up.