cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishing no one a good Memorial Day, it's not possible.

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
on edit:

It's true, I have forgotten the real meaning of Memorial Day. I was in a rare good mood yesterday when I posted my wishes for a good Memorial Day to the Vets, forgetting that another day is for them. It is not possible to wish a Vet a good Memorial Day or weekend, I realize that and my embarrassment is complete. To the living Vets, please accept my apologies...
33 REPLIES 33

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
jamminalong wrote:
sleepy wrote:
Thank you! for starting this thread and all of the other vets for helping remember.

Those that are no longer here won't hear our thanks... those that served know that we thank them for serving... knowing that they have offered the surpreme sacrifice just by serving.

I volunteered USAF 1958 - 1962

grandson Jory... Army, died May 2006

grandson Casey... USAF, Lakenheath currently

I am proud of all veterans.

I saw first hand how our Viet Nam Vets were treated by many when they returned home. I also choose to take this day to thank them, and every other day. It doesn't take an act of congress to recognize them.

Thank all of you that have served, all that sacrificed.

sleepy

Well said Sleepy I couldn't agree more! Many thanks for their service!

me - U.S. Navy
son - U.S. Air Force
dad - U.S Navy
brother - U.S. Army
uncle - U.S Navy

And of course your best friend was Navy Jammin' ... I thank him too!

I have work friends that were among the first 18 "advisers" in 1960, 1961 Viet Nam... Harold Yoder, a Classmate went several times, Bill Johnson went back 3 times... Elmer A. still has extremely bad dreams (many of these people are eaten up with remorse because they came back at all, or what they saw and did while there) Is it too much to thank them... they gave more than their "all" in some ways... they have given evey night since. (Their families have too)

I worked for more than thiry years in the facilities where the A Bombs were designed and built for the B-52's and other delivery devices. The workers are now refered to as "Cold War Patriots" by the government and medical people... The radiation and nuclear contamination is eating many of them alive. Cancers and heavy metal poisoning... a few died quick, thousands are dying at this moment from problems directly linked to their work.

What is worse... many of the workers were also in the military in battle situations in Viet Nam, Korea. and the Middle East both before and during their employmeny in the bomb plants

I have never done anything heroic... I'm a nobody!

But, I have to take a medical every 3 years even in my 9th year of retirement... including a low-dose CAT Scan for problems cause by the work that I did for the government

A couple of years ago the guy on the CAT Scan table next to me was having trouble getting off the table... after he left I asked the technicion what was wrong... he answered... The guy was terminal... he had to have a Cat Scan evey month... the researcher/doctors were monitored him while he is dying.... he is toatally eaten up with cancer. He was veterean and a machinest processing Nucular materials for our military. He died a couple of months later. I'll thank him tomorrow.

All Nuclear workers and Uranium workers... thank you too!

Do I want thanked? NO! Of course not... but I'm embarressed when I think that someone else is getting a lecture because I thought that I was being thanked.

I volunteered for everything. It is no ones fault.

I proudly joined the Air Force... for what turned out to be a peace time tour.

Years later, I applied for the job at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and did it proudly, I was paid well, and contributed my little bit.

I will continue to thank all that have given with no restrictions, no limitations, and no anamosity toward those that want to hold their thanks to the letter of the Congessional Act from many years ago.

Thank you for your service to our country

Chet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
Thank you! for starting this thread and all of the other vets for helping remember.

Those that are no longer here won't hear our thanks... those that served know that we thank them for serving... knowing that they have offered the surpreme sacrifice just by serving.

sleepy

Sleepy, for those that are no longer here, I like to think their ultimate sacrifice placed them in a very great place, that they see and hear what's going on down here.

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:

I volunteered USAF 1958 - 1962

grandson Jory... Army, died May 2006

grandson Casey... USAF, Lakenheath currently

I am proud of all veterans.

I saw first hand how our Viet Nam Vets were treated by many when they returned home. I also choose to take this day to thank them, and every other day. It doesn't take an act of congress to recognize them.

Thank all of you that have served, all that sacrificed.

sleepy

Well said Sleepy I couldn't agree more! Many thanks for their service!

me - U.S. Navy
son - U.S. Air Force
dad - U.S Navy
brother - U.S. Army
uncle - U.S Navy
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think an apology is necessary, but thanks for recognizing the difference.

John
US Navy/US Army 1967-1997
John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2017 Lance 2375 Travel Trailer

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
AKSuperDually wrote:
Thank you, but memorial day isn't about us veterans...it's about our friends and brothers who didn't make it back. Thank you for remembering them.

Amen.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, but memorial day isn't about us veterans...it's about our friends and brothers who didn't make it back. Thank you for remembering them.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
USAF 1956/1962
Happy traveling
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

US Army 1954-1974.

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for starting this thread Whazoo - & to the few who gave so much to the many:

Mom USMC (women Marines)1943-1945; 1922-2013
Dad USMC 1945-1949; 1928-2002
Myself USMC 1972-1978

Semper Fi
2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy the weekend and remember all those that were in the Military past and present and for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice!

LaMonte Monnell
USAF retired in 1992
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks Uncle Bob

Robert Shure Staff Sgt. US Army WW2, POW: captured at the Battle of the Bulge held at Stalag 4b Muhlberg Sachsen 51 13 in Germany. He weighed 190# at capture, 95 pounds when the camp was liberated by the Russians. Passed away in 2012 at the age of 90

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Memorial Day is a US federal holiday wherein the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces are remembered. The holiday, which is celebrated every year on the final Monday of May, was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.

I am sure all you veterans of service to our country will join me and others in observing the true meaning of Memorial Day. A day to pause and give thanks for those who served and did not come home.
Thank you for this post. Coming from a military family we know the sacrifices made for our freedom. God Bless those who gave their lives for this great country!

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Dave! And thank you all who served.

Me - US Navy 1980 - 2004
Dad - USAF 1958 - 1978
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks- s johnson - us army 56 -59
my dad - usmc 43 - 45
my grandson - usmc 2009 - 2013

and all others who served.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thank You!

Larry: Commander, Naval Aviator, ASW, Troop Transports.
Roger: ARMY, Berlin Post Office.
Bobby: Major, Air Force, Pilot, 2x Afghanistan, F 16.