Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you tow with this? NOT MINE

Explorer
Explorer
HERE
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

Front end looks like it has 5-bolt hubs. I would have to assume that it also has a corresponding light duty suspension up front as well. While the front end doesn't carry the weight under acceleration and cruising, it does see a significant amount of weight transfer under braking. I would also want matching rims so I only have to drag around one spare.

The 383 stroker is probably built to go 1/4 of a mile at a time, not tow heavy for hours on end too... I also would not want to listen to it droning away at 3500RPM for hours on end. Would a 12 valve Cummins 5.9L fit, I wonder?

The ad states Mustang II front suspension. Way to light for serious hauling. It could be an HT 383 which is a GM crate motor for trucks with 323 hp and 444 ft lbs of torque. It also shouldn't be singing anywhere near 3500 with those rear tires unless it's geared extremely low

Yep, thatโ€™s the thing that I seen. The smallest front suspension with the largest rear axle, doesnโ€™t mean it can tow! Not to mention Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s on a 1/2 ton frame and with that goose neck there is a lot of stress on the rear of that frame!

So.....No I wouldnโ€™t tow with that. Maybe a small trailer. Pop up or tear drop.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

Front end looks like it has 5-bolt hubs. I would have to assume that it also has a corresponding light duty suspension up front as well. While the front end doesn't carry the weight under acceleration and cruising, it does see a significant amount of weight transfer under braking. I would also want matching rims so I only have to drag around one spare.

The 383 stroker is probably built to go 1/4 of a mile at a time, not tow heavy for hours on end too... I also would not want to listen to it droning away at 3500RPM for hours on end. Would a 12 valve Cummins 5.9L fit, I wonder?

The ad states Mustang II front suspension. Way to light for serious hauling. It could be an HT 383 which is a GM crate motor for trucks with 323 hp and 444 ft lbs of torque. It also shouldn't be singing anywhere near 3500 with those rear tires unless it's geared extremely low

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Yes I would.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, more comfort than anything. People were smaller and didn't travel very far in a truck, so room and comfort were not a priority.

With a couple of modifications, it would make quite a unique and capable tow rig, though.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the quality of the build. Many vintage cars and trucks are much better than they ever were when they were new with after market parts. You pay a price though for all of the style points. Hard to fix on the road. Comfort is just not there in a regular cab. I love the Ford seats with lumbar support.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cool truck but I would not want to cross country in that cramped cab. They weren't designed for comfort.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen something similar where a guy took a old international pickup and used a 3/4 Dodge truck Diesel donor truck for the complete chassis. He pulled a medium size 5th wheel. What I found interesting is how small the interior was and narrow.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I think I have seen that truck before though... I live in the area, and thought I saw that at a car show...
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.