cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yose guys lied to me !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
When ST tires are spoken of it always comes up that they have a speed rating of 65 MPH . The tires that I am looking at have a speed rating of 106 MPH .Carlisle st 205 75 15 .
If I had them last summer when I went to Maine I could have got there twice as fast !
Many , many everyday ST tires have a speed rating in the 80 MPH range ,look it up !
If you see a Ram truck with a 26 foot trailer going a 100 MPH it will be me !
83 REPLIES 83

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am the OP . I have found a bunch of 106 MPH st tires , Carlisle radial trail load range E , Maxxis load range E , and several others . As I very seldom tow my trailer faster than 95 MPH I will not buy these tires .
When ya look up tires just check the box for load range "R". I could get by with 62 or 63 MPH tires .

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Also waiting to see the specific tire. I would like them for my boat trailer.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
a ram truck doing 100 MPH ?have to be towed by a GM or a ford

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
When ST tires are spoken of it always comes up that they have a speed rating of 65 MPH . The tires that I am looking at have a speed rating of 106 MPH .Carlisle st 205 75 15 .
If I had them last summer when I went to Maine I could have got there twice as fast !
Many , many everyday ST tires have a speed rating in the 80 MPH range ,look it up !
If you see a Ram truck with a 26 foot trailer going a 100 MPH it will be me !

As asked, what model tires do are you looking at??? Can you post a link to the tire?

I ask because last Fall I spoke with a gentleman at Carlisle for some time, about the RH's, the speed rating of them, weight rating, etc..... In the 15" tires he told me they were originally rated for 87mph, but due to a tariff the gov't was placing/ placed on the 15" imported tires they have been reduced to 81mph which sounded like a "paper change only" the way he said it.... The 16" have a rating of 75mph, 14" I think we're the same as the 15", but don't recall exactly. But never did a rating anywhere close to 100mph come up in the conversation. Unless it's a recent change to their rating????

You must have missed my post or two in the Fall concerning this. It seems some st tires are now rated higher, Carlisle and Maxxis being one of them.

Another thing that I was told is Carlisle has a new tire they are suppose to be releasing this Spring. The new tire will have similar speed and weight ratings, but a lower rolling resistance, new tread design for channeling water, etc. Cost is suppose to be similar from what was mentioned....
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Edit: found an Amazon link to the R rated tires...

Surprising
That is a misprint, IME. AFAIK, Carlisle ST Radial Trail RH in 205-R75-15 is tested at 84 mph and is still advised to be used under 65 mph. I have these same tires and size on my trailer. I'm not a tire news junky, though, so Carlisle may have come out with a new model that is rated to 106 mph. I'm doubting that would be an ST tire as the "ST" designation has a whole set of testing and rating protocols defined by the Feds.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
I think the ratings for ALL ST tires went up this year.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
106 mph on an st ?
It's Asian humor !

WB, your comment was funny ,
if you did 106 mph , we would be 'wandering-what-happened-to-Bob'.

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
My local Coachmen dealer just gave me a quote for 5 Rubber Master ST tires (never heard of them). He told me they were rated for 81 MPH (nice round number) 😉 Not that I would even consider going that fast.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
All that aside, who in the world would be crazy enough to pull a trailer at those ridiculous speeds anyway? I sure wouldn't!!! I would never put my family or others at a risk like that.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a bit confused on your Carlisle's that are rated for 106 Mph...
clicky on Carlisle

How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?
In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).

Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.

Edit: found an Amazon link to the R rated tires...

Surprising

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mote wrote:
106 Kilometers/hour is equal to 65 mph

Yes it is and 106 mph = 169 kmh.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Mote wrote: