cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yose guys lied to me !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
When ST tires are spoken of it always comes up that they have a speed rating of 65 MPH . The tires that I am looking at have a speed rating of 106 MPH .Carlisle st 205 75 15 .
If I had them last summer when I went to Maine I could have got there twice as fast !
Many , many everyday ST tires have a speed rating in the 80 MPH range ,look it up !
If you see a Ram truck with a 26 foot trailer going a 100 MPH it will be me !
83 REPLIES 83

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
The point of the thread has nothing to do with how fast you should tow your trailer or what is safe to do with your trailer. The point is that many folks insist there are no, none, nada ST tires with a speed rating over 65 MPH. That's not true. It doesn't matter what the myths or "common knowledge" says, there are in fact ST tires rated by the manufacturer for speeds over 65 MPH.

Not all ST tires are used to tow a travel trailer. My boat trailer has ST tires and you can bet it goes over 65 MPH often.

It does appear that Amazon has a misprint on their listing for the Carlisle tires and the OP was aware of it but decided to post anyway. However, that doesn't alter the fact that some ST tires can be used at speeds in excess of 65 MPH. Anybody who makes the blanket statement (and many do, especially when making the LT arguement) that ST tires are limited to 65 MPH are just simply wrong.

Out of interest can you point out a link on a ST tire mfg website that shows an ST tire with a speed rating higher than 65? I believe you, but on every mfg website I've checked I can't find any info on ST tire speed ratings given by the mfg.

Or a picture of an ST tire that shows a speed rating other than 65mph.

Not that I travel more than 65 with our trailer, but a increased speed margin would be nice.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The fact of the matter is that nearly all ST tires are speed rated to 65 mph, only a handful being higher and, of those, the mfg still recommends lower towing speed than the rating.
In fairness, the OP should change the title of this thread to, "I lied to youse guys about tires".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
The point of the thread has nothing to do with how fast you should tow your trailer or what is safe to do with your trailer. The point is that many folks insist there are no, none, nada ST tires with a speed rating over 65 MPH. That's not true. It doesn't matter what the myths or "common knowledge" says, there are in fact ST tires rated by the manufacturer for speeds over 65 MPH.

Not all ST tires are used to tow a travel trailer. My boat trailer has ST tires and you can bet it goes over 65 MPH often.

It does appear that Amazon has a misprint on their listing for the Carlisle tires and the OP was aware of it but decided to post anyway. However, that doesn't alter the fact that some ST tires can be used at speeds in excess of 65 MPH. Anybody who makes the blanket statement (and many do, especially when making the LT arguement) that ST tires are limited to 65 MPH are just simply wrong.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of us with vehicles capable of hauling a large TT at 100mph this thread is very useful. With my tire pressure monitor for the trailer tires I can also watch the temp, so I can back down from 108 if the temp rises.

The only people that don't need to worry about towing over 65 are the Chevy guys!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda Accord came with V rated tires. Does that mean I should drive that fast? Heck, the car can barely do half that rated speed. This argument is the most foolish of tire speed ratings I've seen on this site.

I have been trying different computers to get the images posted here that need to be posted, but the site crashes every time I include the links. I dont know what the story is here.

What I can tell you right now vs showing you is the Radial Trial RH series tires have speed ratings of 75-87mph, precisely. And Marathons, with an added 10psi, can go over 65mph as well. This is not debatable, its a matter of fact.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
But wait...........

Amazon has the ratings at 'R'

Forget what the tire mfg. websites list/don't list.

Amazon lists it and with a name like AMAZON it has to be correct.

Yeah, scary...and that's Amazon selling it too...seems like they MIGHT want to fix that...liability and such
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
But wait...........

Amazon has the ratings at 'R'

Forget what the tire mfg. websites list/don't list.

Amazon lists it and with a name like AMAZON it has to be correct.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
From Carlisle site...

http wrote:
How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?
In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).

Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.carlstargroup.com/about-us/faq

Go about half way down the page under the heading "How fast can I travel"
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
****! And here I thought ALL ST tires were rated to ONLY 55 mph! I always felt edgy pushing mine to 62...

Getting me some of these Rs before spring break...that 10 hr drive to FL just became 8!

and before I get flamed...I kid I kid. But seriously though, I didn't realize they made ST tires with speed ratings higher than 65. Interesting...
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
At Maxxis site, I couldn't find any thing about speed rating, however under their FAQ, Maxxis recommends that ST tires not go faster than 65 mph.

ktmrfs wrote:
the carsilie site doesn't list a speed rating on there website for ST tires, at least that I could find, same with Maxxis.

I wonder how many seller sites list "R" for speed rating , not realizing that the "R" in tire designation means "radial". and the speed rating is stamped in code on the side of the tire.

So, until I either (a) see a mfg website with a speed rating over "Q" or 65mph for an ST tire, I'll not be convinced that there are ST tires rated above 65mph.
or (b) have someone post a picture of an ST tire showing a speed rating other than "Q" or 65 mph.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, last year just before my cross country trip, I bought four new Carlisle ST tires for my trailer and they are speed rated at 81 MPH. Mine are St 225 /75R 15. Earlier Carlisles are rated at 65 MPH. I believe that my tires have an "M" for speed rating.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Some of you guys are making this to difficult !
Type in ' amazon tire , then check trailer tire box , then go to maxxis or Carlisle. tap on additional imfo , when it sez speed range "R " , touch on the " R " , a speed rating bar pops up on the left .
I started this as a joke , I ain"t even looking for tyres I thought that you race car drivers might want to know the whole truth instead of the ole 65 MPH wives tale .

I needed something better, so I went with W (>150mph) and lo and behold Maxxis ST's are W rated!!!

WOW, pretthy clear Amazon speed rating selection is worthless!!

course the same tire is speed rated at C (<37mph).
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I have an image to end this thread...but the site is failing when I post the link.

I give up. Something is wrong with this site tonight.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of you guys are making this to difficult !
Type in ' amazon tire , then check trailer tire box , then go to maxxis or Carlisle. tap on additional imfo , when it sez speed range "R " , touch on the " R " , a speed rating bar pops up on the left .
I started this as a joke , I ain"t even looking for tyres I thought that you race car drivers might want to know the whole truth instead of the ole 65 MPH wives tale .