Did you mean:ย 

You're gonna need a bigger truck....

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
With all the chatter going on with the most recent topics,
19.5 this and Torklift, airbag that, I come to find that our
rig is on the obese side to the tune of 1300 lbs sheesh,
need to go on a diet! I doubt we'll ever be a svelte 13,300 lbs or under.
19.5s anyone!

23 REPLIES 23

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
2manydogs, I see that you added 2 extra batteries, and a hitch from your profile, but I've got to wonder where is the extra 2000 lbs.

Have you tried a different scale or was the trailer loaded with everything on the tongue? The mirror in the scale pic makes it look like the trailer wasn't even attached.

On that trip, no trailer and the extra batteries were not even in the bed, I have the them boxed in the front driver side wheel well connected in parallel with 1/0 cable and an Anderson connector. The solar takes very good care in keeping the 2 group 27s charged even with lots of use, as long as there's not extensive cloudy rainy weather.

When there's no trailer I carry a front basket with the 2000 Yamaha generator, some gas, a Coleman grill and a bunch of 2x6 chunks for leveling so this adds a bit to the front. All the extra weight I'm sure is coming from the " kitchen sink illness ", 3 dogs, DW, table, chairs, 2 weeks of food and full everything has a lot to do with the excess pounds. I think I can travel substantially lighter.

This was the first trip to the scale, the next trip I plan to get a multiple part weigh to get a better handle what's what.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
billyray50 wrote:
Would not even blink If i had a dually that CAT Scale number . My camper and truck fully loaded with Dw, grand daughter, full tank of water weighed in at 14, 100 lbs. no problems with SRW and 19.5s.. By myself and less load. 3700 lbs.

Ignorance is bliss. A DRW 1-ton is going to weigh over 8,000 lbs. The 2013 Ram 3500 DRW for example, has base weight from the factory of 8,680 lbs.s and a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. and with DRW the 4 tires actually provide less than 4x the load capacity of each tire as they are not going to be fully inflated to max PSI.

With standard tires and SRW there is a soft line at 4,000 lbs. of camper weight with the option to go to 19.5 rims and tires. At 6,000 lbs. there is a similar soft line with a DRW 1-ton truck. Going past 6,000 lbs. is where one needs to go to something like the F-450 Chassis Cab truck that can be ordered with a 9300 lb. payload capacity, some 4,000 lbs. greater than that of the F-450 pickup version which has a different frame construction and a less strong front end than the CC version.

More weight also means more fuel is going to be consumed both from handling the load and from more sidewall flexing of the tires. And 50% of the energy lost from tires is from this flexing.

I was referring to a f 350 dually and a Arctic fox 811 combo. More than enough truck. F 450 just has a additional leaf from what i read.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
2manydogs, I see that you added 2 extra batteries, and a hitch from your profile, but I've got to wonder where is the extra 2000 lbs.

Have you tried a different scale or was the trailer loaded with everything on the tongue? The mirror in the scale pic makes it look like the trailer wasn't even attached.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
billyray50 wrote:
Would not even blink If i had a dually that CAT Scale number . My camper and truck fully loaded with Dw, grand daughter, full tank of water weighed in at 14, 100 lbs. no problems with SRW and 19.5s.. By myself and less load. 3700 lbs.

Ignorance is bliss. A DRW 1-ton is going to weigh over 8,000 lbs. The 2013 Ram 3500 DRW for example, has base weight from the factory of 8,680 lbs.s and a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. and with DRW the 4 tires actually provide less than 4x the load capacity of each tire as they are not going to be fully inflated to max PSI.

With standard tires and SRW there is a soft line at 4,000 lbs. of camper weight with the option to go to 19.5 rims and tires. At 6,000 lbs. there is a similar soft line with a DRW 1-ton truck. Going past 6,000 lbs. is where one needs to go to something like the F-450 Chassis Cab truck that can be ordered with a 9300 lb. payload capacity, some 4,000 lbs. greater than that of the F-450 pickup version which has a different frame construction and a less strong front end than the CC version.

More weight also means more fuel is going to be consumed both from handling the load and from more sidewall flexing of the tires. And 50% of the energy lost from tires is from this flexing.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm overweight, but that hasn't stopped my from putting about 28k miles on the truck with the camper on it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
This man previously owned a 10' TC loaded on an F-350 SRW. After being beaten and battered constantly by the weight police in this forum, he sold the truck and TC and bought this. He has not been beaten or battered by the weight police since! ๐Ÿ™‚

That truck is obviously overloaded! Look how it's squatting in the rear. ๐Ÿ˜‰

OP, is that weight with the trailer attached? I'm a little surprised your weight is about 1500 lbs more than mine and I have the AF 990.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I looked at a 990 yesterday - the larger floor space is huge compared to my 811.

I also use a 24" Supertruss to tow with.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
This man previously owned a 10' TC loaded on an F-350 SRW. After being beaten and battered constantly by the weight police in this forum, he sold the truck and TC and bought this. He has not been beaten or battered by the weight police since! ๐Ÿ™‚

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 1/2 ton!... It will haul it!:B
John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
I'd love an AF990, but they are a bit much for my truck. I am sad. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We actually looked at a 990 last month, would like one too, with the extra foot in floor length and the larger bath however our AF811 was so well bought and have got it fixed up just so it's just not time yet.

Have a super hitch with a 24 inch extension, which gets the ball about 8 inches past the camper bumper, doesn't interfere with our steps and most importantly gets whatever I'm trailering back far enough to allow ample maneuvering without contact, it's come in handy getting in and out of some tight spots.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:

I know someone who has carried an arctic fox 990 with same truck as mine without 19.5s for years no problem.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use a hitch extension to tow the trailer with?
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS, that's an AF811
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Bob