cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You're not going to believe this!!

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
I posted a topic recently about our Atwood Helium refrigerator not switching over to gas. Many people had very good suggestions. Today we decided to try to trouble shoot the issue. As it turns out the problem was a "dirt dobber". My husband had to use a very small flexible wire brush and put it up the "chimney" of the unit. There were two locations where they caused problems. It took many attempts of cleaning it out to get the remnants cleared out.

Lesson learned here today. We are going to be putting a screen up behind the refrigerator panel, the hot water heater panel and the furnace exhaust.
15 REPLIES 15

nanannjen
Explorer
Explorer
So glad that I read this. We happened to be going out to our trailer yesterday - we haven't used it for a while. Since I had read this thread, I wandered behind the trailer, only to see a wasp going into the fridge vent. We sprayed, and they started boiling out. We'll be installing screens tomorrow!

We get both mud daubers and the paper type nests. We had a paper type on our bumper last year - we drove a couple of hundred miles, got to our destination - not only was the nest still there, but there were still wasps in it! They're amazing (in a scary way!

JAYHAWKERS
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first travel trailer (new) in the month of April. We took it home and did some modifications and cleaning,then took it to a storage facility and parked it. The next week we picked up the trailer for our first trip and noticed a lot of bird droppings all over the roof and sides. Saw sticks, grass, twigs sticking out from the A/C shroud. Took the cover (Dometic) off and the entire squirrel cage blower was full of nesting materials. Took the wife and I a good 30 minutes to remove the nests. To solve the problem we bought the refrigerator stainless steel screens and ty-wraped the screens in place, bending the long ones to match the contours of the unit. They were expensive compared to an at home fix, but solved our problem quickly and we were on our way camping. P.S. we did get around to installing flying insect screens on all the openings.....setting under our TT awning one day this year saw a wasp fly into the ground hole of the outside 120 volt outlet we were using. After about ten seconds he backed out and went to making a paper nest on the awning. They sure are a TT's best source of housing. Happy camping all.

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We had 'No see um" screen left over from our porch. We glued three strips of that onto the three slots for the fridge. We already had the furnace and HW covers but never got around to installing them. So, this headache with the dirt daubers has motivated us!! They're installed now.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
You take a first look at these screens and think "and they want HOW much for this?" Granted, it doesn't look like much, but they are worth their weight in gold. The set of 3 for the frig is the simplest and for whatever reason the most expensive, but IMHO an absolute necessity. We put the WH and furnace ones on first with our '07 ROO, thinking the frig was not crucial. Wrong. Just bite the bullet, get all of them and be done with a frustrating experience. When we sold our '07 ROO in '13, they looked like brand new and had never had any problems with them. Another benefit to the one for the furnace is that if you have little ones with you, they can touch the outlet if the screen is not on and get a nasty burn. A good safety feature.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here on just having a screen over the Heater vent. Probably should do the same for the fridge and hot water vents too...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
Last week Attwood acknowledged that their supplier had changed a spec on a part, causing some 2014 model fridges to not switch to gas automatically or reliably.

Call them to see if your fridge is affected.
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Crawfordville wrote:
We are going to be putting a screen up behind the refrigerator panel, the hot water heater panel and the furnace exhaust.

Those screens were the first 'accessories' we bought when we got our new TT. Those mud daubers will homestead anywhere, even on the tires under the covers!

X2.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a mud dauber problem, but the last time we washed our trailer, wasp came fling out of the fridge vent. I sprayed Wasp and Hornet spray through the vent, when I pulled the vent off there was a wasp nest the size of a tennis ball! And we used the trailer regularly.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Crawfordville wrote:
We are going to be putting a screen up behind the refrigerator panel, the hot water heater panel and the furnace exhaust.

Those screens were the first 'accessories' we bought when we got our new TT. Those mud daubers will homestead anywhere, even on the tires under the covers!

Same here. Picked ours up from the dealer when we picked up the trauiler, and installed them on the shakedown camping trip on the way back home.

Good to hear the OP resolved their issue.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had the dauber screens over my furnace vents. I never have put anything over the fridge or water heater. Probably not a bad idea!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mud daubers can be a problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Crawfordville wrote:

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
No more then they cost, we should always have these on. I lost one somewhere, and ask a tech how important they were. She said since you live in Texas, make sure you have them on.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Atwood refrigerator in our new FW. From day one, it wouldn't work on electric. Then it stopped working on gas. They replaced the circuit card, the electric heating element and the igniter to get it to work. It seems they would have done some quality checks before delivering this to the FW manufacturer. On the manufacturer's forum, many others reported the same problems. Fortunately, the warranty covered the repairs and it's been working fine ever since.

I've heard of insect nests causing problems before. Consider yourself lucky that it wasn't a major defect causing the problems. Good job by your DW to find it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)