Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First mileage test result.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III

The first mileage test results are in.

A quick review of what was done to the truck.

Cometic head gaskets half the thickness of Fel-Pro and with full o-rings around each cylinder, not combining into one ring between cylinders like Fel-Pro. This raised all compressions from 185 to 200, to 200 to 220. ARP head studs at true 90 pounds torque instead of garbage unreliable twist to yield factory head bolts. New Melling timing chains, tensioners, chain guides and Melling 176 HV high volume oil pump with lower pressure spring installed. Porting out the exhaust ports to gasket match the new headers. A pair of Gibson 1-1/2" ss tube headers. SPD Performance Y-Pipe modification to exhaust creating better flow and scavaging. The MMR Racing coolant adaptors to the backs of the heads and plumbing them into the coolant return tube to the water pump for better cooling. Fabricating a larger 3-1/2" cold air inlet. Removing the comb like teeth in the throttlebody intake gasket improving intake air flow again. Welding shut the unused rear of head intake manifold coolant passages to prevent leaking due to the cheap plastic stock intake manifold. Modifying the intake manifold crossover tube connections to improve sealing and reduce the chance of the common leakage problem from happening again. Using the crossover clamp device I thought up to further increase the likelihood of a permanent seal. The injectors are 1 year old and all NGK ignition coils are 8 months. Several sensors were also replaced, MAF, O2 L & O2 R, TPS. All sensors about 6 months ago. 

Ok, so what are the mileage test results?

After 140 miles of mixed city, arterial, freeway driving, the resulting MPG is 11.75

11.75 MPG may or may not impress people but, it is a 2000 F-250 super cab 4x4 with a 5.4 liter 2 valve engine and 4 speed automatic. Before, we were getting 8 or 9 mpg, "10 on a really good day without the TC on". 

This represents an improvement of 3 to even 4 mpg. That will add up to decent savings over time. I just need to stay on top of maintenance to keep it this way. Regular oil changes at 3000 miles or less are very important, especially if you drive a truck with the 3 valve engine.

Everything I did to the engine, is on video and was posted to this forum if you're interested.

Thats the end of the truck repair/improvement video series. I hope those who saw it, enjoyed it. And now you know the fruition, end result.

It's back to camping soon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Swapping isn't an option on something that new, if you live in a state where emissions rules are enforced. The vehicle has to have all its original emissions equipment intact or they won't give you an inspection sticker, and the state suspends the vehicle's license.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Doing an engine swap. I understand if you are swapping with a modern engine, the new engine is swappable with it's system of control since both engines would have EPA ratings. I understand my truck does not have an EPA MPG rating or much of the emission control garbage. My stock exhaust has no EGR connection and my Intake Manifold doesn't have a connection. The place for the connection is there but it was never machined. I believe my truck originated in Wyoming and may have been a police, forest service or other government vehicle due to the remnants of several radio antennae basses on the roof and places on the floor and dash where equipment like radios etcetera were mounted. The engine had a leaky head gasket from the get go and the prior owner knew it, cancer got him. I eventually figured the problem was a factory machining flaw leaving a gouge in the #1 front right cylinder between the cylinder and the water jacket. I finally figured it out on the third head gasket change. I had no more problems with the head gaskets on that engine. It died from a cracked oil sump pickup tube. 

This engine was fine till it overheated and it just kept getting worse and worse. I got home from our road trip and now the rest is history. I've got more drive time on the engine and it is a considerable improvement from before. The real test will come soon when we load the TC and go for a trip around the state.

I've given engine swapping some thought. The trick is the whole truck is a system. I thought about a 6.2 and 6 speed transmission swap but you have to swap the computer system, wire harness and any relevent components. To make it run.

Even if I did a V10, my V8 wire harness is setup for 8 cylinders so I would need to swap electronics for that. I can do it, but fixing what I have is the easiest most affordable way. I know I am creating more power from the engine. I have addressed several weak points with the Cometic head gaskets, welding shut the rear coolant passages on the heads. Greatly improving exhaust flow over stock. High volume oip pump to hopefully oil better and keep passages clear. Rear of head coolant adaptors to prevent a boilover from ever happening again and keep the heads cooler with better circulation. That about covers the modifications which I hope will amount to a sort of "Bullet Proofing" for the 5.4 engine. The first engine did 275k miles, but it took work and three sets of head gaskets and new sparkplug seats to do it.

ya the swaps are not as hard as it seams anymore.  you can get kits that mount everything, conversion kits to make the wire and computer that come with your junk yard motor/trans just plug into your old plugs..  they have simplified it so much..  

it all comes down to what is the most important .. if its fuel milage and power to pull big hills, then your going to swap a diesel in there.  if its...  well realy I can't see any reason to buy a truck used to pull or haul a rv or other type of trailer or payload with significant weight, that is a gas engine.. they have less power, worse fuel milage, more maintenance and don't last as long as a diesel...  but some people still like thoes gas engines.  I like them for cars and hotrods

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III

Thank you, Glad you enjoyed it

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Love your persistence! You did a long block a few years back on that truck didn't you?  

My 94 f250 460 E04od trans (modified)  get about 16 without camper.  10-11 with and 9-10 towing our Samurai.

Did you sign up for the TC rally at Q for 2025?  Hope to see ya there.

Jim.

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Hahaha 16 what?  Man the first liar never has a chance. A 460 Ford truck never got 16 mpg ever unless it was being pushed downhill with the engine off!  Thanks of the laughs. Thatโ€™s funnier than the guy who is claiming a 4mpg increase with a slight compression bump and presumably improved exhaust flow. (But not since itโ€™s going back to the OE system past the headers.  
Pro tip, better exhaust and intake are not โ€œevidentโ€ when poking along like the OPs test run. It never starved for air at full throttle before, it sure isnโ€™t now. 
But if I dumped as much time and $ into an old 5.4 Superdoody as him, Iโ€™d have to claim something for my efforts!  Lol. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Liar?  Geez....  Both my f250 2wd's would get 15-16 unloaded.  That is at 65 or less! I do not drive fast!

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Hmm, my detailed reply just vanished. 

Not gonna write that again.

Yes, new engine and has been good.

I'm persistent allright.

We will be at the rally again this year 

Take care...

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

It looks like you did a pretty good job.

Thank you for the post.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29