Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First mileage test result.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III

The first mileage test results are in.

A quick review of what was done to the truck.

Cometic head gaskets half the thickness of Fel-Pro and with full o-rings around each cylinder, not combining into one ring between cylinders like Fel-Pro. This raised all compressions from 185 to 200, to 200 to 220. ARP head studs at true 90 pounds torque instead of garbage unreliable twist to yield factory head bolts. New Melling timing chains, tensioners, chain guides and Melling 176 HV high volume oil pump with lower pressure spring installed. Porting out the exhaust ports to gasket match the new headers. A pair of Gibson 1-1/2" ss tube headers. SPD Performance Y-Pipe modification to exhaust creating better flow and scavaging. The MMR Racing coolant adaptors to the backs of the heads and plumbing them into the coolant return tube to the water pump for better cooling. Fabricating a larger 3-1/2" cold air inlet. Removing the comb like teeth in the throttlebody intake gasket improving intake air flow again. Welding shut the unused rear of head intake manifold coolant passages to prevent leaking due to the cheap plastic stock intake manifold. Modifying the intake manifold crossover tube connections to improve sealing and reduce the chance of the common leakage problem from happening again. Using the crossover clamp device I thought up to further increase the likelihood of a permanent seal. The injectors are 1 year old and all NGK ignition coils are 8 months. Several sensors were also replaced, MAF, O2 L & O2 R, TPS. All sensors about 6 months ago. 

Ok, so what are the mileage test results?

After 140 miles of mixed city, arterial, freeway driving, the resulting MPG is 11.75

11.75 MPG may or may not impress people but, it is a 2000 F-250 super cab 4x4 with a 5.4 liter 2 valve engine and 4 speed automatic. Before, we were getting 8 or 9 mpg, "10 on a really good day without the TC on". 

This represents an improvement of 3 to even 4 mpg. That will add up to decent savings over time. I just need to stay on top of maintenance to keep it this way. Regular oil changes at 3000 miles or less are very important, especially if you drive a truck with the 3 valve engine.

Everything I did to the engine, is on video and was posted to this forum if you're interested.

Thats the end of the truck repair/improvement video series. I hope those who saw it, enjoyed it. And now you know the fruition, end result.

It's back to camping soon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Swapping isn't an option on something that new, if you live in a state where emissions rules are enforced. The vehicle has to have all its original emissions equipment intact or they won't give you an inspection sticker, and the state suspends the vehicle's license.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad

Surprised your mpg's are that low.  I have a 2WD 99 F350 supercab with V10. Drove it to Medford and got 13mpg's unloaded.  I drive the speed limit.  Was surprised I got that good because it only gets 10 around town.  Maybe it's the 4x4 that hurts your mpg's. (just a thought)

I'm hoping we will get more than 13 mpg with only freeway driving. My truck is 4x4 so there is a little more rotating mass.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

did you ever think about just putting a different engine into it?  I'm not asking this to stir anythign up, but the 5.4 wasn't that great of a engine to start with and with so many new offerings from both ford and gm that would be easy to swap in and would give you more power and better fuel economy.  for example a junkyard LS 6L could be had with a trans for about 1500 up here so 1000ish down their and prople about another 500 in parts to install it, I bet you would be well over 15 mph.  I know its a gm motor in a ford, I am just using it as an example and it is the cheepest way to go, the ford gas engines that would make a good swap are a little more money.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Ain’t no old LS getting 15mpg in a 3/4ton 4x4.   
plus F250 LS swap?  Rofl. Can’t see anywhere that might get difficult or have issues…..

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

no it would probably get better.  🤣

LS into anything is easy now days, they make mount kits for almost any aplication you can think of, and their cheep including the harness or you can buy an aftermarket harnes and its all plug and play for the most part.  that was just an example, like I said, a coyote swap would be fun also but I think its more suited for hot rods and not things that need low end, and its much much more expensive.  I even have a friend who put a cummins into a old ford 1 ton 4x4 , we had him comitted for using that POS engine but he did it 😆

seriously thought, myself and my two buddys have now swapped about 15 LS motors into classic trucks some as old as the 40's but a lot of 1960's and 70's stuff also.  a few of them are street/strip procharged, one a turbo setup but the rest are all naturaly asperated and if you keep the foot out of them they get amazing milage.  its all about building them proper for what they are going to do.   

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Agree, LS swaps are very popular now. Considering it for my C10 actually. 
Doesn’t mean it remotely makes sense to swap similar technology and power for similar technology and power + a pile of money and a bigger pile of compatibility issues. 

Swapping isn't an option on something that new, if you live in a state where emissions rules are enforced. The vehicle has to have all its original emissions equipment intact or they won't give you an inspection sticker, and the state suspends the vehicle's license.

No emissions testing in WA….as crazy that sounds.  Not since Covid, lol. They all got sent home like the State did to all their employees, and the emissions testing never started back up. Another positive coming out of the pandemic I suppose. 
And his truck is 5 years away from being eligible for collector plates. Just because it’s newer than its owner doesn’t mean it’s newer!  Hahaha 

why would you want to swap a newer vehicle?  half the stuff he did (headers and such) fall under the same rules so this obvioulsy isn't an issue.  plus his truck is around 25 years old, so what are you calling a newer vehicle?  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Near as I can tell nothing he did eliminated any emissions equipment. Headers and performance parts aren't illegal, as long as all the sensors and emissions equipment are still intact. 

Being "around 25 years old" is not good enough. Here in NY it has to be a 1999 or older this year to be exempt from emissions testing. Once it hits that magic 25 year mark, he could swap anything in that he wanted.

good thing he isn't in NY and even if he was I believe his truck is a 1999, hence the around 25 years old which would date it to 1999.  in cali I believe my buddy told me just switching to headers is a fail unless your car is old enough to be exempt.  Its a good thing I am in Canada and I can delete my diesel with out anyone whining about it.  I took my milage from 13.6 L/100km to 10.8L/100km (empty) with just the emission on tunes, with the truck camper I went from 18L/100km to 14.9L/100km, and pulling the 5th wheel I went from 22L/100km to 19.7L/100km.

I have the delet kits sitting in the garage waiting for the winter to put them on so I can't wait to see how much more fuel efficiency I can unlock. 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

This truck has no EGR or any emission control except a CAT and front O2 sensors.

The truck runs great and definitely has more power. At 1500 rpm, you can feel an increasing amount to the power

That's true, yet I understand there are ways around it. I think folks have used the VIN of the doner vehicle and assumed that title with the transplant vehicle. Somebody might have the answer.

Huh?