cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking into a Truck Camper

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I am looking into a used truck camper. We’ll be taking this to Alaska for 6 weeks and while we will spend as much time as possible outside, the weather will force us inside. We do not want to feel like sardines.

I have some requirements below so if people know if models, please let me know

1- no laminate/gel coated sides. I do not want to deal with delam.
2- this means it has to be made of either molded fiberglass or aluminum
3- sleeping capacity of 5
4- given #3, a slide(s) is probably needed.
5- Also, I am ok with building a bunk over a dinette if it fits 4 out of the box, I have seen this done well
6- have the usual amenities

All that said, are there any used aluminum or hard sided models that meets this criteria? Used could be 2 years to 50 years old, I am really open, just not taking the depreciation hit. The truck will be a long bed dually so no real concerns about weight.
51 REPLIES 51

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
geo11RT wrote:
work2much wrote:
geo11RT wrote:

I will look at the 830. Keep the suggestions coming. The DW really likes the 1072/1172 but the wrong outside material.

I believe Lance uses Azdel for their wall construction. They are supposed to be impervious to delamination.

https://www.azdelonboard.com

Ok, this is interesting. Is this saying that azdel sided Lance campers (or any other manufacturer) do not suffer from delam? If so, I would be open to this

Yes, that is their claim. Azdel is not a brand new product, been around for a few years and I haven't seen anything to refute their claims. The product is wood free thus no rotting of substructure which is the primary cause of delamination. The link includes more info.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a nice travel trailer already, I don't want to take it because I am towing a vehicle, hence looking into a TC. I could get a 5er and triple tow, but rather not. I appreciate those who have contributed so far.

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
geo11RT wrote:
I find that hard to believe. 60 years of TCs with many makers and models and not one? I will wait for others to chime in.

I am not sure why that seems hard to believe. A truck camper must fit in the relatively small bed of a pickup truck. Trying to sleep or even fit 5 people in that space would require a beast of a truck camper with large slides.

If you re-read what I want, you will see that this is very feasible, it is not an absolute. Just making a blanket statement like the other Jim said is um, silly (to be nice). As you can see, there are numerous other people that have posted ideas and models and have made it work. And provided insight to other materials that would prevent delam. It boils down to if you can think outside the box or take things literally Jim.

Additionally, I know Northern did make a slide with their molded fiberglass shell.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's funny how some view camping..When I was a youngster and had an 8ft Sturdi built TC on a '57 GMC my best friends and I would go water sking and fishing..Two couples(4 adults) in an 8ft TC with never an issue because most of the time was outside..Sleeping was never an issue either..Two on the dinette and two in the bunk and games at the dinette..

I once did the same with four guys Elk hunting in a semi-overhead(pullout upper bunk) TC..I furnished the truck and he furnished the horses and trailer..We did fine,again because we were off riding and hunting with an occasional card game at the dinette...

A place to sleep not hangout in, is the way I use an RV..Others don't it appears..A truck camper gets you into places a TT won't get, if it ain't a monster TC..LOL

There are pro's and con's to each RV type and one has to get the type that best fits his needs in the outdoors..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
geo11RT wrote:
I find that hard to believe. 60 years of TCs with many makers and models and not one? I will wait for others to chime in.

I am not sure why that seems hard to believe. A truck camper must fit in the relatively small bed of a pickup truck. Trying to sleep or even fit 5 people in that space would require a beast of a truck camper with large slides.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Here's "looking into a truck camper". 😉

My camper is just over 11' long, made to sleep 5-6 people.
I'm quite sure 4 of them would have to be children.
I would not want to be inside my camper with 4-5 other people.

I would think a smaller TT with a rear bath and bunk beds would be a lot better for that many people.

Sorry I can't recommend a camper that fits your needs.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago someone made an aluminum skinned camper with a pop-up sky porch, though I’m not sure if it had an elevator - Good Luck.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
geo11RT wrote:
2- this means it has to be made of either molded fiberglass or aluminum

Our 2007 Eagle Cap walls are all gel coated molded fiberglass. The panels are vacuum bonded to the aluminum frame. There are still seams at the edges but the panels themselves cannot de-laminate.

I don't know about the more recent models.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Crew cab?
Sleep 1 kid in the back seat for more space?

Your wants sort of aren’t commensurate with your needs or what’s available.
I mean you can “sleep” anywhere, I suppose, but the level of comfort is the question.
Basically 2 adults whether real adults or tall “kids” is not a reality on most dinette beds.

You should take the fam and go tour a few TCs. It will help clarify what some of us are saying.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is a Lance 480 but most of the older ones like Lance will..I slept 5 in my old Security 8ft TC years ago..Two adults and three kids and a dog..The two biggest went on the dinette table and the lightest went above the dinette table on the pull down bed/storage..

A simple 2X4 brace will temporarily raise the capacity of the above the dinette bunk(150# I think for most) for two kids if need be without issue...Been there done that with six kids total and four coming with us..When all came,it was tent time or truck seats for bed time...LOL

We did try 2 on the floor but when it was potti time,everyone woke up..LOL..It was all fun though
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I here 'ya on the Delam..Kinda like rolling the dice..I also can't think of a slide out on aluminum skin..

The older ones like Lance would work maybe..Mine will sleep 6 actually..Two in the upper bunk/two on the dinette and two above the dinette if there small in weight..I guess a guy could beef that up pretty easy if need be..

Doesn't have the floor space of a slide but has a ton more storage than most slides..With a slide you lose the bed option above the dinette on most models and the storage above the bed if you don't use it for sleeping..It's all a trade off in what each person wants the most..

Floor space seems to be the most important around here and where the slide wins..Not important to me within reason as my time in the TC is out doing stuff and on the rainy days/TV and movies are there if you want..

What model is this?

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
geo11RT wrote:

I will look at the 830. Keep the suggestions coming. The DW really likes the 1072/1172 but the wrong outside material.

I believe Lance uses Azdel for their wall construction. They are supposed to be impervious to delamination.

https://www.azdelonboard.com

Ok, this is interesting. Is this saying that azdel sided Lance campers (or any other manufacturer) do not suffer from delam? If so, I would be open to this

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a good used Lance 1072 then build a shed to store it in, the camper will last for at least 25 years. You will not find a fiberglass TC with 3 slide outs. Good luck with your search.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I here 'ya on the Delam..Kinda like rolling the dice..I also can't think of a slide out on aluminum skin..

The older ones like Lance would work maybe..Mine will sleep 6 actually..Two in the upper bunk/two on the dinette and two above the dinette if there small in weight..I guess a guy could beef that up pretty easy if need be..

Doesn't have the floor space of a slide but has a ton more storage than most slides..With a slide you lose the bed option above the dinette on most models and the storage above the bed if you don't use it for sleeping..It's all a trade off in what each person wants the most..

Floor space seems to be the most important around here and where the slide wins..Not important to me within reason as my time in the TC is out doing stuff and on the rainy days/TV and movies are there if you want..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
geo11RT wrote:

It’s not like you are the first person who’s asked the question.

See this relatively recent thread that is looking for a TC for 4 adults. https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30083671.cfm

You can also do an archive search.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member