cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking into a Truck Camper

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I am looking into a used truck camper. We’ll be taking this to Alaska for 6 weeks and while we will spend as much time as possible outside, the weather will force us inside. We do not want to feel like sardines.

I have some requirements below so if people know if models, please let me know

1- no laminate/gel coated sides. I do not want to deal with delam.
2- this means it has to be made of either molded fiberglass or aluminum
3- sleeping capacity of 5
4- given #3, a slide(s) is probably needed.
5- Also, I am ok with building a bunk over a dinette if it fits 4 out of the box, I have seen this done well
6- have the usual amenities

All that said, are there any used aluminum or hard sided models that meets this criteria? Used could be 2 years to 50 years old, I am really open, just not taking the depreciation hit. The truck will be a long bed dually so no real concerns about weight.
51 REPLIES 51

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
geo11RT wrote:
My thinking was if there is no delam, that means no water/leaking. I suppose there could be a small one that goes unnoticed until too late. I will add this to my list as well.

Yeah even with an aluminum frame I'm still paranoid about hidden rot in our TC. There are a lot of horror stories about having a beautiful TC only to have it fail spectacularly because of hidden rot. My next TC will have nothing that can rot, if I can find one.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to those of you who pack an entire family into a truck camper.

I'm single and mines perfect for me.

However, I would consider making room for a cute younger redhead. 😉
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Depending on your budget and needs, honestly I wouldn't be too fixated on an aluminum frame being requisite. Bonus? Yes.
Was one of my "must haves" on our first camper. Got it, no issues.
Next and current camper (sold the first one in AK before we moved back down here for good $$) is the same model but a few years older and wood frame. That was 5 years ago and I have yet to notice a difference, but it was considerably cheaper than the first one.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
My thinking was if there is no delam, that means no water/leaking. I suppose there could be a small one that goes unnoticed until too late. I will add this to my list as well.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
geo11RT wrote:

1- no laminate/gel coated sides. I do not want to deal with delam.
2- this means it has to be made of either molded fiberglass or aluminum

You should be more worried about what the frame is made of. A beautiful looking TC can have a tiny leak and rot the frame. But not if it's an aluminum frame.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
geo11RT wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
geo11RT wrote:
I find that hard to believe. 60 years of TCs with many makers and models and not one? I will wait for others to chime in.

I am not sure why that seems hard to believe. A truck camper must fit in the relatively small bed of a pickup truck. Trying to sleep or even fit 5 people in that space would require a beast of a truck camper with large slides.

If you re-read what I want, you will see that this is very feasible, it is not an absolute. Just making a blanket statement like the other Jim said is um, silly (to be nice). As you can see, there are numerous other people that have posted ideas and models and have made it work. And provided insight to other materials that would prevent delam. It boils down to if you can think outside the box or take things literally Jim.

Additionally, I know Northern did make a slide with their molded fiberglass shell.

You are incorrect about Northern Lite making a molded camper with a slide. Bigfoot made a slide out TC but it wasn’t molded fiberglass. It was a framed camper with filon siding.

Yup, that was already said twice now, including the post above yours. I never claimed to be an expert, that's what I am asking questions.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
geo11RT wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
geo11RT wrote:
I find that hard to believe. 60 years of TCs with many makers and models and not one? I will wait for others to chime in.

I am not sure why that seems hard to believe. A truck camper must fit in the relatively small bed of a pickup truck. Trying to sleep or even fit 5 people in that space would require a beast of a truck camper with large slides.

If you re-read what I want, you will see that this is very feasible, it is not an absolute. Just making a blanket statement like the other Jim said is um, silly (to be nice). As you can see, there are numerous other people that have posted ideas and models and have made it work. And provided insight to other materials that would prevent delam. It boils down to if you can think outside the box or take things literally Jim.

Additionally, I know Northern did make a slide with their molded fiberglass shell.

You are incorrect about Northern Lite making a molded camper with a slide. Bigfoot made a slide out TC but it wasn’t molded fiberglass. It was a framed camper with filon siding.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Also the Bigfoot 3000 model which is the only model I am aware of that had a slide was a conventional wood framed camper and susceptible to delamination just like any other std truck camper that isn't maintained properly. I have never seen a Bigfoot of Northern Lite clamshell fiberglass camper with a slide. I feel pretty certain that doesn't exist.

Bigfoot hinted about a slide a year or two ago in an interview but nothing tangible since.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
geo11RT wrote:
when you put me in a corner, I will fight back. If you back away, maybe we can get along.

You put yourself into a corner by how you asked your question, and you are fighting yourself.

Bigfoot built models with slides in the 2006 timeframe under the original ownership, but I’m pretty certain Northern Lite has never made a slide for their TCs.

Azdel is used only by Lance in the TC world. I’m not sure what year Lance started using it, but many TT manufacturers started about 2011-2012. My guess is they might have started it using it then, or perhaps when they were bought out/sold.

Someone else will probably chime in.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
geo11RT, sounds like you're on the right track, setup wise.

Not to be-labor the argument, you started off with a list of "requirements", which is different than "preferences."

All your requirements added up to unobtanium...which you're beginning to see. Doesn't mean there isn't a camper that will work for your family, in fact quite the opposite.
Just don't get offended when someone refutes your pre-determined "requirements."

"Northern" doesn't build one with a slide if you mean Northern Lite, the clamshell camper. Very nice high end unit, but no slide.
If you're confusing it with Northland who dies build slide outs, no harm, no foul, but it doesn't meet your other requirement for the construction method.
Both Jims here are very knowledgeable and neither were wrong, only wrong in your eyes.

Either way, your upcoming trip will be EPIC. It's what prompted us to get a TC several years ago and was the perfect fit for us to see AK for a summer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
first you want a big and heavy camper. than you say your towing vehicle so there is a new requirement. what kind of truck you loading all this up into?

Vehicle will be flat towed, so minimal tongue weight. 6000 lbs or so. I have not purchased a truck yet, I am figuring out the TC first. But it will be a diesel dually long bed for sure, like a F450 or perhaps F350/3500 depending on year/payload cap.

geo11RT
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
geo11RT wrote:
If you re-read what I want, you will see that this is very feasible, it is not an absolute. Just making a blanket statement like the other Jim said is um, silly (to be nice).

To be clear, you aren’t being nice. You are being rude. It’s ok though it happens all of the time on the internet. Eventually, you’ll see that both this Jim and the other Jim that you just responded to are right based on “your requirements” in your first post.

If you want to change your requirements, that’s ok, too. But that doesn’t make us wrong retroactively.

Well we can agree to disagree. What I wanted to say was not nice so I refrained. Yes you both were wrong. I asked for input and you two basically said tersely "Nope, look elsewhere, it cannot be done". I do not accept that. To me, that is rude if you want to get into semantics. I already said I would build a bunk if needed. And I know Northern builds one with a slide. The slide was optional, not required as I wrote. I am not wanting to get into an argument but when you put me in a corner, I will fight back. If you back away, maybe we can get along.

Given the (mostly helpful) advice, what are some better makes out there? I have Northern and Bigfoot. I do like the the info regarding Azdel, I need to research this. Assuming this is acceptable, what manufactures use this?

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
first you want a big and heavy camper. than you say your towing vehicle so there is a new requirement. what kind of truck you loading all this up into?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
We'd all like them built like Dr Who's Tardis: bigger inside then outside. Big enough to contain at least an olympic swimming pool, tennis court, and baseball field. Big enough to carry ALLLLL the **** we NEEEED every single day. Yet light enough we can carry on the plane with us and toss into the sub-compact rental car's trunk.

If you find one, it's mine. Bring it back.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
geo11RT wrote:
If you re-read what I want, you will see that this is very feasible, it is not an absolute. Just making a blanket statement like the other Jim said is um, silly (to be nice).

To be clear, you aren’t being nice. You are being rude. It’s ok though it happens all of the time on the internet. Eventually, you’ll see that both this Jim and the other Jim that you just responded to are right based on “your requirements” in your first post.

If you want to change your requirements, that’s ok, too. But that doesn’t make us wrong retroactively.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member