cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repo a Truck Camper???

DMJ8181
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2yo 2018 Travellite 770, I live in it full time (with other option) and still owe $11k. A stilt is falling off, step broke, shower and other things don't work. The thing is more or less totaled. I'm so tired of the endless repairs that I can't afford that I'm prepared to let my credit sink and tell the bank to come get it.
Can they even do that? It's sitting on the ground at the moment. Many Google searches have come up with NOTHING about repoing a truck camper that's on the ground. Also, a stilt isn't working and requires a specific tool to crank. Thanks.
67 REPLIES 67

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DMJ8181 wrote:
My truck with 333k miles also needs a rebuild so I'm about to have no way to even tow it.

Tow what?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I suppose you came on here expecting people to share in your frustration, commiserate, sympathize, but this is an online forum mostly populated by older conservative types who believe in making good on your obligations regardless of whether it's to your advantage or not. For starters.

But yeah, "they" can repossess anything. Where there is a will there is a way. That, and a rollback with a strong winch. Or, enough snatch blocks.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, welcome to this forum... some pretty tough people on here, me included on occasion... not this time. Unfortunately you posted โ€œ I'm prepared to let my credit sink and tell the bank to come get it.โ€ and that attitude plus itโ€™s not that simple, stirred the pot. Youโ€™ll have to pay costs and the difference in what they auction it off for... not a good option which will cost you $$$.

*Agree I could have it on a rollback and gone in 5 minutes.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I am sympathetic. Travel lite is junk. In addition to my 1993 Sunline truck camper, which has never been a problem, I purchased a new Travel lite trailer in 2017. Every time we use it something breaks. Two weeks ago the refrigerator fell out into the floor of the trailer. The one screw holding it in let loose.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DMJ, sorry to hear your on hard times. Not our place to ask or judge, however, to your question? Yes it can be repoed. Yes it will be more of a challenge with a busted leg.
But even if they donโ€™t, ultimately youโ€™re on the hook just the same.
If you actually have credit worth saving and a life that will count on that credit, you will not come out ahead on getting it repoed.
Financially it seems you might be able to fix it and sell it and only eat part of the cost of getting rid of it. But that depends on the condition of the rest of it and how saavy you are at making that happen and if you can float the difference financially somehow.
If itโ€™s remotely an option, the next 30 days may be the beat market youโ€™ve ever had to dump that turd on someone else.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:

And this "proof of purchase" indicates there is a lien holder? Who would buy under this condition?

Someone who doesn't understand what a "lien holder" is and why that means that they aren't really buying what they think they are buying.

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
towpro wrote:
Any thought of listing it for sale? it might be easier to sell it now by providing a proof of purchase notarized to seller, than continue to pay on loan until its done.

And this "proof of purchase" indicates there is a lien holder? Who would buy under this condition?
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
When things started falling apart all on their own, what did the manufacturer have to say about it? Surely there was some type of warranty.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

DMJ8181
Explorer
Explorer
That's helpful.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picture is worth 1000 of words.
When no RV is build for living in it permanently, 2 years should not destroy it.

DMJ8181
Explorer
Explorer
I was just wondering if they could. It's on cinder blocks now.

DMJ8181
Explorer
Explorer
I did not neglect it, It's my home. I've been extremely careful with it.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2018
You have had it two years
Was it this bad when new?
Did you neglect it and allow deterioration?
Explain HOW this is not your fault.

OK and now, truck falling apart too.
Your arguments are getting weaker.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
If you quit making payment they will repossess it for sure.
Then they will sell it at an auction and sue you for the difference.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have a misconception about repossession -- even if the bank does come and take it back, that doesn't end your liability. They'll sell it at auction, use the proceeds to pay down the loan (and late fees and other penalties), but if there's still a balance left on the loan, you're still responsible for paying it.

If it's in as bad a shape as you described it, they'd get get little in an auction sale. And for that reason, they probably aren't even going to try to repossess it. If you got a typical long term loan (10+ years), you've probably paid around 20% of the principal or less, but the unit probably dropped more than that the day you drove it off the lot, now it's 3 years old and "more or less totaled" so there'd be no reason for the bank to come take it back.

Your best bet would be to check used prices, fix it up as best you can and try to sell it yourself, but you'll need to come up with money to pay off the loan balance to get the title, so that may not be an option. You'd almost certainly get a better price for it than the bank would get at auction.