cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short box dually?

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know my sig is out of date. I bought a 2019 Arctic Fox 811 for short box. I've come to the conclusion it really needs a dually. Been looking at 2016 Rams. They have the Megacab and short box. They look just wrong!! Looks like the weight is too far back possibly causing handling problems? Any real world experience on here? Thanks.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
55 REPLIES 55

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MikeinSA wrote:
We have the exact setup you're asking about - '16 megacab, short bed dually with an Arctic Fox 811. We full-timed with this setup 9 months last year, and are getting ready to head out again in December for probably most of next year. I think we've probably done over 30,000 miles with this setup, including a run up the haul road to Prudoe Bay. You'll be fine 🙂

Wow that sounds encouraging!! Do you have any photos?
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
So Ford is going to make a shortbed dually again for 2020?

Wasn’t that the original point of this thread? Or is the OPs camper not a shortbed only model?

No, Ford is not. I was going to put it on a SRW shorted. Yes my camper is designed for shorted only. Yes, it will be overloaded but less than my 250!!

I just remember back in the day when I had an 05 Dodge dually with a large S&S camper and it handled so well.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some of us are saying if you aren’t worried about what people you don’t know care about the “looks” of your rig, S/B campers work on long bed trucks and have some nice advantages.

Ford and Ram 4x4’s have a good turning radius. My camper has a rear camera so I can keep the ass end out of harms way when going astern.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So Ford is going to make a shortbed dually again for 2020?

Wasn’t that the original point of this thread? Or is the OPs camper not a shortbed only model?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

EfonFred
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, old rig was a NL 811 sitting on a ’01 Dodge quad cab 2500 standard (short) bed SRW 4x4 CTD. Quite a few mods and still never felt real comfortable though we did ok over the 5 years we used it. New rig is a ‘15 Adventurer 86 SBS sitting on a ‘11 Ram Mega dually 3500 4x4 CTD. Added air bags, that’s it. Our new to us camper is configured for a short bed so it has the Inan gen.

COG is pretty much the same (about 1” diff) between the two rigs. Very comfortable ride, extremely happy with the stability on the road and when parked. TC’s are very similar in weight, just much more comfortable all the way around in the “new” rig. Some folks think the Mega Dually looks funny, we like the looks and interior space, personal preference.
2011 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2015 Adventurer 86SBS

MikeinSA
Explorer
Explorer
We have the exact setup you're asking about - '16 megacab, short bed dually with an Arctic Fox 811. We full-timed with this setup 9 months last year, and are getting ready to head out again in December for probably most of next year. I think we've probably done over 30,000 miles with this setup, including a run up the haul road to Prudoe Bay. You'll be fine 🙂
2016 Arctic Fox 811
2016 Ram 3500, Cummins/Aisin, Mega Cab, SB, DRW

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
Over the past 9 years we have driven a 06 Dodge Mega Cab SRW CDI. Recently we had the opportunity to get a great deal on a 16 Dodge Ram Mega Cab DRW CDI to carry our Northern Lite 811. We have just returned from a 12 week fishing trip to Colorado. The things I like about the newer truck is That fully loaded and full of water I wam now 1000 lbs. plus under the GVWR of 14,000 lbs. The stability of the DRW is much better plus the exhaust brake and tow haul is much safer on all of the mountain passes in Colorado especially the 16% grade going down into Black Canyon to fish. I like the truck and the safety it gave me.
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When buying 1st year of production brings some risk- that's what the warranty is for.
New engines beside higher HP bring also better fuel economy.
I drive diesel sedans for long years and switching the same model from year 2008 to model 2014, where newer engine delivers only 10 HP less than older one, my MPG went from 27 up to 36 mpg.
When buying truck- good gas mileage is not priority, but I spend about $2300 on fuel for single trip to Alaska.
Would I drive gas engine that would make well over $3000.
You can ignore those expenses only to some point...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
~DJ~ wrote:
Thanks so much everyone for your input. I have actually decided against the Dodge. May be different if it was a 6.4 Hemi. I've decided to wait for the 2020 Super Duty F 350 with the 7.3 gas to come out. See what it is going to have for numbers. Thanks again, DJ

In another thread, LosAngeles posted this ..

Update - so a little digging on the internets…. i found that the current
6.2L V8 produces 385 HP and 430 lb.-ft. of torque,

and the new 7.3L V8 produces 430 HP and 475 lb.-ft. of torque,
according to #’s just released by Ford, according to this (and a few other) websites.
https://www.motor1.com/news/362862/2020-ford-f-series-engines/

But, considering that the 7.3 has a lot more displacement. I think it’s potential should be way over 500 HP, and I’m sure the tuners will push it that high shortly after release.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks so much everyone for your input. I have actually decided against the Dodge. May be different if it was a 6.4 Hemi. I've decided to wait for the 2020 Super Duty F 350 with the 7.3 gas to come out. See what it is going to have for numbers. Thanks again, DJ

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're concerned about recommended weights & COG locations, etc. Swing by your local ram dealer. They'll have a book EVERY configuration of Wheelbase, engine, trim level and the recommended locations for COG & weight limits. I picked one up at my dealer when I was buying my truck. The 2018 version is about paperback book size & 1/2" thick. I'd expect they'd be able to give you either an old book for a '16, or pull up the info somehow.

CC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You’re actually correct in part of your original statement Kayteg, as in the rear over hang of the truck body/bed is slightly different on different trucks. I apologize. It’s also the same on some.
However the difference in wheelbase between short and long bed trucks, cab to axle and axle to end of frame is generally the difference in bed length of the truck. The rear axle of a short bed truck is not set further “back” proportionally compared to a long bed.
And the difference of a couple inches of “overhang” of the truck bed and bumper doesn’t do squat for center of gravity. Talking less than 100lb ft of moment.
BUT, the significantly larger distance from back of cab to rear axle on a long bed can or will help more significantly in allowing the CoG of a given load to be moved forward putting more of the load on the front axle.
Thus the statement that a short bed truck helps with CoG compared to a longbed is still false. Not debatable. If you shove the same camper in a short and long bed truck, all the way forward to the front of the bed, the long bed will see more load on the front and less onthe rear compared to a short bed 100% of the time.
Point of my original post was just like others, your statement that a short bed helps with pushing center of gravity forward is misleading and false. Whether the rear over hang is the same or not.
Maybe a bit more than 2nd grade level understanding though....(to use your words)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

Coming to loading TC on short bed, I had my heavy camper on short bed pickup.
If you measure it, you will find that rear overhang on SB is shorter than on LB, so COG moves forward comparing to axle. That is good thing.

If you measure it, you’ll find that Kayteg is 110% wrong about the distance from the axle to the back of the truck. Any truck, short and long bed are the same length behind the axle. At least any truck save for them special old Ford camper specials with the rear axle further back
Kayteg do you actually believe all the c rap you post or do you just lob random obvious false statements into your posts for fun?

Here comes 2nd grade education.
The best I could find in quick search.
Ram short bed has 1216 mm rear overhang, Ram long bed has 1269 rear overhang. That makes 50 mm difference.
I vote Grit dog for BS of the year

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Standard (“short”) bed and long bed trucks have same inches rear axle to end of frame so the suspension fits.

The spare space ahead of a s/b camper is handy and the overhead sitting back increases visual enjoyment of mountains and skyscapes and traffic signals. Water runs off the overhead down your neck when it’s wet out and you get in and out the door. Aerodynamic racket seems less in cross wind but you get some drag from the gap unless you Fair it in with stuff or custom bodywork.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We've had two Mega Cabs and tow the 40' 16000 lbs 5th wheel with no problems. Many many miles towing from coast to coast and all points in between. The larger cab is great for the room for adults or grandkids. The bed looks shorter because of the large cab but it is 6'5"....just like any short bed truck. We would have bought another one if we could have found one with the options in the new truck.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport