Did you mean:ย 

the ultimate truck camper truck.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
they don't make them like they used to
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.
45 REPLIES 45

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That Chevy commercial reminds me trains, where single locomotive can get 100 carts rolling.
But than it needs 2-3 miles to stop...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
towpro wrote:
they don't make them like they used to
Well the video does say to just add some additional auxiliary springs and they were good to go. I assume that applies today too.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^You found the like button! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Well, it seemed clear to me that the truck had to work pretty hard to get going, but as Val said I may just be missing the point. The point being? Whether it takes โ€œnot muchโ€ effort to get 374,000 lbs moving on level ground, or not โ€œnot muchโ€ effort (I know, double negative). My intuition tells me that 374K pounds is a freakinโ€™ buttload, and it isnโ€™t going to be easy for ANYTHING to get it moving, and just flat out impossible for a VW beetle.

Just to be sure though, I whipped out my trusty slide rule, Big Chief tablet and Laddie pencil, and ran a few calcs. This is what I came up with:

Told ya!

Iโ€™m suddenly having an irresistible urge for a Hersheyโ€™s Kiss. Strange. :h

:):)

Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it seemed clear to me that the truck had to work pretty hard to get going, but as Val said I may just be missing the point. The point being? Whether it takes โ€œnot muchโ€ effort to get 374,000 lbs moving on level ground, or not โ€œnot muchโ€ effort (I know, double negative). My intuition tells me that 374K pounds is a freakinโ€™ buttload, and it isnโ€™t going to be easy for ANYTHING to get it moving, and just flat out impossible for a VW beetle.

Just to be sure though, I whipped out my trusty slide rule, Big Chief tablet and Laddie pencil, and ran a few calcs. This is what I came up with:

Told ya!

Iโ€™m suddenly having an irresistible urge for a Hersheyโ€™s Kiss. Strange. :h

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

specta
Explorer
Explorer
The new trucks are less prone to rust and they don't get hot climbing steep grades with a load.

That Chevy truck grunted, groaned and shook trying to get those logs rolling.

Low gear low range, looks pretty difficult to me.
Kenny

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:

Some time in the late '70s the buyers of light trucks learned the auto trans, with the amplification of the torque converter would match the load starting ability of the "granny low" 4 speed. And without needing to worry about the driver's skill level on clutch engagement and the first shift, they started giving the auto higher GCVWR.
The GMC I posted about was not a pickup, but twin screw. Had a 5 speed main, and a 4 sp auxiliary transmission.

The automatic needing no skill likely killed off the granny gear.

Add in the proliferation of 4x4 trucks with low range effectively creating a granny gear if you needed one helped the process along.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Yeah, youโ€™re right. Iโ€™m surprised VW didnโ€™t respond with a commercial of their own doing it with a beetle. It coulda done it.

Drop in a transmission with a low enough gear ratio and beef up the axles to handle the torque and I'll put my money on the bug. :C

You lost some critical context there when you failed to include the Hershey Kiss emoji.

Fixed it for ya :W

Naw I got it...but you still seem to be missing the point. Getting a big load rolling on flat ground isn't difficult.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hereโ€™s an article I ran into about the granny gear.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/granny-gear-transmission-2021-ford-bronco/

Btw, it says the last one was in the early 90s.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^Scooby knows of what he speaks about truck drivin!
BTW love the analogy โ€œmight have to drive a stake to tell itโ€™s moving...โ€
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

In the '70s I had a few 427 GMCs (and a couple of Super Duty Fords, when SD implied 850 in VIN) I would pull out of quarry grossing 110,000 lbs. Step grade, or soft ground, put both boxes in 1. Might have to drive a stake in the ground to tell it was moving, but if your patient it will get there. But, once started downhill, would take a running automobile to pass.

When did they stop including a granny gear in trucks? As you say, you won't win any races but pretty much nothing short of the axle shearing off was going to stop it from turning the wheels.

Some time in the late '70s the buyers of light trucks learned the auto trans, with the amplification of the torque converter would match the load starting ability of the "granny low" 4 speed. And without needing to worry about the driver's skill level on clutch engagement and the first shift, they started giving the auto higher GCVWR.
The GMC I posted about was not a pickup, but twin screw. Had a 5 speed main, and a 4 sp auxiliary transmission.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Yeah, youโ€™re right. Iโ€™m surprised VW didnโ€™t respond with a commercial of their own doing it with a beetle. It coulda done it.

Drop in a transmission with a low enough gear ratio and beef up the axles to handle the torque and I'll put my money on the bug. :C

You lost some critical context there when you failed to include the Hershey Kiss emoji.

Where's the like button when you need one?? :B
Kenny

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'