cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing truck camper (expecting first experience today)

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
I am stuck in a Walmart parking lot with my truck that won't start. So unless it turns out to only be the battery (which I doubt from the way it suddenly went totally dead) I am going to have my first towing experience today.

The manual for my RAM 3500 4x4 says that for 4WD models flatbed is the best towing method. However, with the camper on the truck I question if the height of the truck camper and flatbed combined would exceed height limits. So this is my question. Is flatbed tow of a truck camper possible? The manual says the other acceptable method is flat tow on 4 wheels.

The manual says the wheel lift is not acceptable.

I am concerned if I am going to have to argue with the tow truck about this. A while back I asked a friend of a friend who owns a tow business about this and he said "Ah, I would probably just lift it". Well the manual says lifting the front or back will cause "severe transmission and/or transfer case damage".

I have Good Sam towing. Does anyone have experience with this? Do they know enough to send someone with the proper equipment?

Finding someone to fix the truck is the next question. I believe that Good Sam only says whey will tow to the nearest repair facility. Well, what if that facility can't work on it for 2 weeks? Or even if only more than 1 day is a problem because I am traveling alone with my dog. Unless they let us sleep on their lot it will be a mess what to do. Dog friendly hotel?

So I have been googling and calling local mechanics trying to find someone who will work on it today, or at least let us sleep on their lot if it can't be fixed same day. Since I have been calling on Sunday I have no responses yet.

Any suggestions how to approach this are welcome and appreciated. But my main question is about the towing and what to expect from Good Sam.
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas
27 REPLIES 27

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its not uncommon for a battery to not work then work a tiny bit after setting overnight. Just get a new battery and install with cleaned terminals. Then you will be on the road. I am not sure how your truck and camper are tied, its usually only feeding power when the truck is on. I don't believe the power from the camper feeds the truck unless a special circuit has been installed.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A new battery and a wire brushing the cable ends is where I would start. Wish you well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
the only way your camper batteries can run your truck is if you pull them from the camper and put them in the engine compartment in place of your dead batteries.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the original poster.

So from these responses maybe it is only the battery. At first I thought not because the dash lights up without struggle. But maybe turning the engine takes much more power.

Another hint that made me think it could be the battery is that this started at night. The next day in daylight with the solar panel pumping in some power the engine turned slightly versus the night before I was getting nothing.

My understanding is that the camper batteries are connected to the engine batteries. There is a shutoff which prevents the camper from running down the engine batteries, but I thought not in the other direction. So if the engine battery is dead I would think the camper batteries would turn the engine. The camper batteries are showing fully charged. But maybe deep cycle camper batteries don't have enough cranking power to turn an engine???

A service of my Good Sam towing is battery replacement. So if it's the battery they should be able to get me going. But I still have to be prepared for if I need to get towed.

I left voice mails at a couple local mechanics on Sunday. One called back and left a voicemail this morning. I'm about to call them then Good Sam. Wish me luck.
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
bobbolotune wrote:
I am stuck in a Walmart parking lot with my truck that won't start. So unless it turns out to only be the battery (which I doubt from the way it suddenly went totally dead) I am going to have my first towing experience today.

The manual for my RAM 3500 4x4 says that for 4WD models flatbed is the best towing method. However, with the camper on the truck I question if the height of the truck camper and flatbed combined would exceed height limits. So this is my question. Is flatbed tow of a truck camper possible? The manual says the other acceptable method is flat tow on 4 wheels.

The manual says the wheel lift is not acceptable.

I am concerned if I am going to have to argue with the tow truck about this. A while back I asked a friend of a friend who owns a tow business about this and he said "Ah, I would probably just lift it". Well the manual says lifting the front or back will cause "severe transmission and/or transfer case damage".

I have Good Sam towing. Does anyone have experience with this? Do they know enough to send someone with the proper equipment?

Finding someone to fix the truck is the next question. I believe that Good Sam only says whey will tow to the nearest repair facility. Well, what if that facility can't work on it for 2 weeks? Or even if only more than 1 day is a problem because I am traveling alone with my dog. Unless they let us sleep on their lot it will be a mess what to do. Dog friendly hotel?

So I have been googling and calling local mechanics trying to find someone who will work on it today, or at least let us sleep on their lot if it can't be fixed same day. Since I have been calling on Sunday I have no responses yet.

Any suggestions how to approach this are welcome and appreciated. But my main question is about the towing and what to expect from Good Sam.

My cousin did this exact same thing couple years ago and he got his lifted truck and camper on a flat bed tow truck.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
been there on a fishing trip battery just died. your at wall mart have them put a new one in. gonna be lot cheaper than the tow. p.s let us know how it ends.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
medium duty wrecker , rear drive shaft removed, front wheels lifted. That's how BKA got towed. with his F550 and his TC in the bed

Above is your answer. With rear drive shaft totally removed.
The transfer case and transmission will not be turning.
Wheel lift from the front.

C.b.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Batteries do fail and also connections get corroded and drop connection. It may be a simple fix, so hope a hand helper shows up and finds the issue and can avoid towing. A volt meter is a handy thing to check the battery.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Batteries fail w/o warning, load test it, observe headlights while starting, buy a battery, rent a car, etc options, may/may not resolve. See if you can pay the tow truck for alternate delivery. You may have to remove the camper but I would not leave it at Walmart. May have to find alternate sleeping arrangements. Maybe a mobile mechanic.

Just saying be prepared, but hopefully resolved easily,
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Just posting here to see how you make out. Good luck!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
medium duty wrecker , rear drive shaft removed, front wheels lifted. That's how BKA got towed. with his F550 and his TC in the bed
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back decades ago when most to truck only had a sling we often carried dollies to carry 1 end of a vehicle. Only lifted a few inches. Most likely your camper would be too heavy, so we would pull rear driveshaft.

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you? maybe somebody on here could bring a load tester to check your battery? Is it the original battery in the truck? If so, I would guess that it could be your problem.
I would think you would be way to high to be on a flatbed with the camper.
Could you unload the camper in the walmart until truck gets fixed?