cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,294 REPLIES 32,294

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Camper Carl. It is so hard for Fella to get into and out of the truck with his bad leg and foot so we don't take him for short trips around town. We bought him a ramp that makes it so much easier but it is still a hassle for him. Once in the truck he settles in on the back seat and goes to sleep right away. Ask him if he wants to go and you better be ready to take him somewhere because if you don't he will drive you nuts following you around barking and whining. The thing is he wants to go wherever we go just to be close to us. If we are gone for any length of time he gets panicky and nervous as if we are not coming back for him.
He is getting better at that however and is not as stressed when we go some where and leave him. It is strange that he thinks the kennel where he stayed when he was first rescued is his second home. He gets excited when we take him there for grooming and starts barking with excitement. He loves Kim one the workers at the kennel and he really gets excited to see her. So if he thinks he is going on a camping trip, or a ride to the kennel he is ready and then some.

With his bad leg getting into the camper is a problem for him even with the ramp. The camper is high off the ground {three steps up} and that puts the ramp at an angle that is tough on him. So Sue leads him to the ramp and gets all four paws on it and then I lift up the back end of it to make it level and he steps right in. We have to make concessions for him but he is worth it. The joy we see in his eyes and different expressions of happiness overcome any difficulty we have helping him with his handicap.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

He is so handsome with his silky soft coat. He is one happy boy.

WOW!!!Again. He is a great looking dog and he is really filling out in all the right places. How is he in the trailer when you guys take him camping? Also, I don't remember if I have asked you this or not, but when taking Old Fella in the car for a ride to the store, vet, ect, how is he? Does he like car rides? We have one of our that can do without car rides (Hilldy) the others are great in the car.
Take care,
Carl
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

MuleBrand
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fella doesn't look old anymore! He is so handsome!:B
David and Pam
2011 Itasca Impulse

Xanadu_50
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for a wonderful story with a happy ending. Since I travel a lot, I have seen a LOT of strays, and been able to help a few myself. Once I even picked up a coyote on the highway. Unfortunately, he couldn't be saved, but at least he didn't die alone and in pain, but was put down painlessly. It is so uplifting to hear of SO many others willing to go out of their way to help an animal in need.
Nina ~ Colorado ~ Happy to claim membership
Open Roads Singles
๐Ÿ˜›

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
He is just beautiful.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

He is so handsome with his silky soft coat. He is one happy boy.

Wife Sue

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
A beautiful picture of a very happy/smiling Old Fella! What a difference!
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

RogerNCindy
Explorer
Explorer
The "Old Fella today" picture is clearly for the book cover.

PRICELESS!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

The first time I saw Old Fella, Labor Day weekend 2005 at Modoc
Campground.

Old Fella today.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Last October in Cherokee, NC. Old Fella's first trip.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

That is what I call taking it easy!

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
The sun is shining, wind is blowing about 70 outside all is well in our world too. Have a great weekend back at ya Dixie Flyer.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from a walk about town with Levi, Fella and Sue. The weather is so nice today and everyone enjoyed being outside. The folks here now recognize the four of us and every once in a while someone will stop us to ask about Fella and the forum. I really think the men folk stop to talk with Sue. I don't mind though because I know who really holds her heart, it's the dogs and Izzie the cat! She isn't about to leave them for some other old fella!

Anyway it is a blessed day and all is well at this end. So have a great weekend.

Dixie Flyer

Wife Sue

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a clickable link to the story above Startribune
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
I love watching this. Look at those curls on Levi! He must have had a blast. Thanks for the uplift!
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!