cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,299 REPLIES 32,299

Susee
Explorer
Explorer
That was the Best News I heard today? Now if I can only stop crying again.
Thank You for being such a kind and wonderful family to OF.
HUBBY the driver 🙂
WIFE the co pilot 😉
1 SON :C
2 Mini Schnauzer Puppies Heidi & Schnitzel

2003 19ft Wildwood Travel Trailer
2001 Ford EB Expedition 5.4 V 8

1995 Ford Explorer V 6
1999-2003 Rockwood Tent Trailer ~ 1997-1999 TENTING

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DeeReed wrote:
You guys are an amazing group of friends!

Dee

Isn't it wonderful???

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Great news Richard, thanks for taking such good care of Old Fella. You and Sue are very special people.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Paolo_s_pack
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,
Thanks for posting the pics of OF walking.
As you can surely tell, it has made a lot of people happy.

Get some much deserved rest.
Régine
Spirit of Paolo
1985 Dodge Ram Custom 250 conversion

dfrost
Explorer
Explorer
I think I hear FOOF's cheering all across the globe!!

Isn't it wonderful to be able to share God's miracles with so many people. This is a true testament of faith and the healing powers of prayer.

May God continue to bless you and Old Fella!!!
Bruce & Terry
2003 F250 Lariet CC w/7.3 PSD Fx4 Full gauge pack
2009 Laredo 245RL 5th wheel
1990 27' HiLo (TT with a Vertical Slide)
2 Chi's, Spencer and Lexi

DeeReed
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are an amazing group of friends!

Dee
Dee Reed
Back again to RV.net after a few years
Now living in Phoenix

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
MrsSoCalToolGuy wrote:
.....Yes, what wonderful news and what a great picture seeing Old Fella up and about. This made my day.

Barb

Mine, too! :B

Happy and Jeanie 🙂

We always have time for the things we put first.

Pauls_lady
Explorer
Explorer
Oh geeze - I thought I'd jump for joy but I can't stop crying. Thank you God.
Paul & Pamela
ds;20,dd;18,ds;13,ds;12
Lilly Belle & Hachi rescue Akita
Kobai; Rainbow Bridge 6/9/06 Always Loved
'01 Excursion V10
'05 Arctic Fox 27F;2nd year;CA Delta
'99 Taurus SHO
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'07 Expedition LT
'07 Honda Aero Motorcycle - The wife's ride!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just talked with Michelle at America's Best Campground in Branson Missouri and was told we only have nine camp sites left for the rally. If you would like to attend and meet Old Fella up close and personal then make your reservations today. Call Michelle at 800 671 4399.

Puppy Love The Old Fella Story

Wife Sue

AGRNBRTSLOVE
Explorer
Explorer
Yey! God bless Old Fella and his family.

thejacksons
Explorer
Explorer
Thank goodness for answered prayers. I looked at our clock on the wall last night and said a prayer for Ol' Fella. I cried this morning when I saw the post. What a relief.

Wendy
04 GMC Envoy XUV
05 Trail Bay 31ft. Model:TB31FK
Wendy and B.J.
The furry kids Tonka & Lilly Mae

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
He'll be drinking a lot of water, those steroid shots are heavy duty and carry a lot of side effects. A little weight loss should help. This is such wonderful news!

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Isn't this the grandest site you have ever seen?!?!?

Yes, what wonderful news and what a great picture seeing Old Fella up and about. This made my day.

Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
TTBeachBum wrote:
Any word about what caused this? It is great news that he is up!

The only guess we have is he injured it out in the yard on Wednesday of last week while he and Levi were out. Wednesday morning he was fine and Wednesday afternoon he was down and down hard. Dr. Alexander was very concerned that Old Fella may never overcome this set back because of his age and that one leg was taking all the weight in getting up and walking. Truly we have seen a miracle here today. I had already taken Fella to the vet's office this morning and told Dr. Alexander that Fella was walking with the aid of the sling. Then when we got home and put Fella in the back yard on the stretcher he finally got up and walked across the yard without any help. From this day forward Old Fella will be watched more closely and I will never take for granted that his one good leg is made of steel.

Boy oh boy, what a scare! Old Fella is truly resilant (more so than we are!); Thank God for the prayers! I am glad to read that he is recovering.

Luizianna
Explorer
Explorer
Mickey T wrote:
Let us rejoice and be glad!
Amen!

Amen!!
Virgil, Linda & Katie, The Pampered Poodle
05 30` Cardinal LE
www.cardinalrvclub.org

SOME PEOPLE THINK THERE IS A REWARD FOR FINDING FAULT