cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,294 REPLIES 32,294

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Easter All, Anna and Beau went out this morning and Anna just tore around the backyard running as hard as she could in big circles through the little bit of snow. she then stopped long enough to take care of a little business then went back to running all over and trying to get Beau to play with her. She seeme to be adapting quite well to the northern weather. Anna will be on her second camping outing as we are going to go a rally in Indiana with our group that we camp with (Ohio rally Group) this weekend. Going to leave Thursday morning and stay through the weekend. Anna has turned into a good little camping doggie, and keeps Beau company and seems to be trying to make him feel a little younger.

Richard, I hope you and Sue and the gang had a good camping weekend.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry y'all are getting snow. But I'm so JEALOUS!!!!
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer

Happy Easter to all of Old Fella's friends.....
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Buzz-ette
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

If you "subscribe" to this thread, then it will always be on the top of your Forums list. Happy Easter to you and yours. Honeybun sends her best to Beau and Anna.
1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
We had a little snow and sleet here, in SE Virginia today!! I remember a little snow on Easter Sunday when I was 7 or 8 and that was a LONG time ago. Dixie Dew steps outside and turns around immediately to come in. She sure don't like going out with the cold on her little bare belly or wet high grass on same little belly!!!

DIXIESMAMA

PS: Richard, you haven't told us anything about that photo of the adorable little furry puppy....we want to hear about him.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about the brain fade. Yes, I meant Anna. I am having trouble adjusting to the weather up north after being down in them there parts for over a month. Can't seem to get the shorts to fit right over the long johns.:B:B:B Again. Hope all have a very Happy Easter.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking he meant Anna....
It has snowed more today than in all of Dec. I think! We weren't ready for it let me tell you! Ended up using a whole LP tank to keep warm. We only had a fire one night. And ended up using all the firewood we had with us. Just too cold and windy to sit outside. Hard to believe it is 36 and having snow squalls!
Glad to be home but hate all the laundry!
And to keep in about dogs - ours weren't too good. Forgot to look outside the first morning and darn near lost both arms as they attempted to drag me out the door! Learned my lesson!
Hope Old Fella and the rest are having a great time.
Gotta head out and get the girls' their baskets! Happy Easter!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
Sure don't know what is happening. I had to go look for this forum quite a ways down the list. Suzie is geting the chance to see what snow is like and doesn't seem to mind romping outside it it. She still does not try to eat all the snow in the yard yet as Beau does. You all have a wonderful Easter and God Bless.

Suzie? Do you mean Anna?
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Sure don't know what is happening. I had to go look for this forum quite a ways down the list. Suzie is geting the chance to see what snow is like and doesn't seem to mind romping outside it it. She still does not try to eat all the snow in the yard yet as Beau does. You all have a wonderful Easter and God Bless.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Dan sent me some pictures of Anna and Beau last night and I can see that Anna is doing great. It looks as if she hasn't even missed us at all! I am glad for Anna, Dan, Lori and Beau that they have made one happy family with Anna's addition. Maybe in our travels we may be able to visit them someday........
Dixie Flyer

I know sending Anna off was troubling and difficult for you Richard but it must make your chest swell with pride knowing how well she is adapting and filling her role in her new forever home. It's sometimes hard to understand His guidance but it's wonderful to see the fruits of it. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel loves eating carrots. It is about the only food he takes his time chewing. Tried a small pickle the other day he enjoyed that also.

Anna looks so happy in her new home & what a beautiful dog.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I cannot wait for Evergreen to meet this beautiful southern belle!!

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue and I are going to take a little break and go camping this weekend. I know its going to be cold but plans were made months ago so we are still going. Old Fella, Levi and Suzie {Dramamine Suzie} will be going with us. Suzie didn't get any food this morning so she is running around wild with her Lion King squeaky toy making all the noise she can. Izzie is saying "God help us!" It is going to be colder here this Easter weekend than it was at Christmas with a low of 25 degrees Sunday morning. We will be staying at Petersburg Corps of Engineers campground on site #10 at Clarks Hill Lake {Strom Thurmond Lake for the South Carolina folks} if anyone would like to come visit.

Dan sent me some pictures of Anna and Beau last night and I can see that Anna is doing great. It looks as if she hasn't even missed us at all! I am glad for Anna, Dan, Lori and Beau that they have made one happy family with Anna's addition. Maybe in our travels we may be able to visit them someday.

Suzie will get a Dramamine tablet about two hours before we leave today and hopefully make the 60 mile trip without getting sick. Would you believe I can't find any fire woord??? Camping in the winter isn't camping without a campfire! Okay I have to go for now and I will talk with you when we get back. Have a blessed Easter weekend.

Dixie Flyer

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little piece of my heart will always be in Ohio. Thank you Dan for giving Anna such a great home.

Wife Sue

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, Do you live out on one of those big mid-west farms? Anna is going to have the best time checking that place out. Her nose will be busy for the next year! I think with her beautiful coat she will stay quite warm. The vest will help too. I always thought Anna looks like a little fox. She has a very smart looking face.

DIXIESMAMA