cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

!70 Denver to Vail

mountainroad
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a trip on I70 from the Denver area to Frisco, CO in about a week, then on to the Vail area and south on US24 to US50. I'm driving a 350hp 34' DP, towing a Forester. Any advice or information concerning the climbs, descents or Eisenhower Tunnel would be greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is construction on the eastbound tunnel just before Idaho Springs that should not affect you. Easy drive from DVR to SummCo but if not familiar with it I recommend driving it during daylight hours.

Can I assume you are staying at Tiger Run resort? There is road construction right in front of it at the entrance on Hwy 9 but you can still get in.

Cop have been out in droves lately on the interstate... keep the limit especially in Vail.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be trying to go east on the tunnel on a sunday or Monday holiday
traffic will be bad from Vail to Denver.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mountainroad wrote:
We're planning a trip on I70 from the Denver area to Frisco, CO in about a week, then on to the Vail area and south on US24 to US50. I'm driving a 350hp 34' DP, towing a Forester. Any advice or information concerning the climbs, descents or Eisenhower Tunnel would be greatly appreciated.

You will get lots of DUMB answers, this may be one, Your rig is almost like a sports Car compared to many who make the trip. As suggested check in on the CDOT site to get info n the on the drive, the Drive is easy (IMHO) and then the drive from Vail on 24 through Minturn and Then Red Cliff is just great -- if you have time you might just drive through Red Cliff after you pass over the Green Bridge (24) take the next right under the bridge into town -- stop in the little Bar (Mango's) back at the end of town then come out back on the other side of the bridge (24) and head on to Leadville (big loop through town)-- If at all possible try to take Independence Pass in the Toad over to Maroon Bells -- take lots of Pictures -- as the Aspen will be turning Golden in just a few weeks.

IMHO if you have driven from New Hampshire these beautiful roads in Colorado are not even a little bit of a challenge -- we used to Ski in New England and the roads are narrow and the curves are sharp, so these big old roads in Colorado will be a breeze.

If we can be of more help let us know.

BOL,

PS If you are in Leadville for Dinner try Quincy's only three things on the menu two steaks (ONLY one at a time -- Rib Eye or Filet -- then a vegie lasagna) One of my favorite spots (Cherry Creek Grill is the other) in all of Colorado.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome new member. You will find a wealth of information and lots of helpful people with a huge knowledge base here. There are no dumb questions here, only stupid answers!

This website is the most active in the RVing community. Use the search function before posting common questions. The Eisenhower Tunnel and I70 are talked about extensively on the site.

Some of us have driven I70 and the Tunnel for years. It is an Interstate Highway. A gazillion trucks and RVs do it every year. There is a major construction project east of Idaho Springs. It can be ugly at times. You should have no issues. Keep down geared on the climb to stay in your torque peak. It is a long grind. Sit back and relax. There is a long steep descent on the west side. Be careful to keep your speed in check.

FYI: You might want to check cotrip.org (Colorado Dept of Trans) for alerts on I70 and the Idaho Springs construction.

There is a slow steep but much shorter climb up Freemont and a very, very short and steep descent. It is clear sailing to Salida and US50. When you come south out of downtown Ledville be sure to pay attention to the 35mph speed. They patrol it heavily.

You didn't say which way you were going on 50. North over Monarch Pass is a bit steep with passing lanes. Sit back and enjoy. South to Canyon City is a bit twisty but very scenic. Pay attention to slower speed limits in some of the small "towns."
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!