Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling an RV into Canada, crossing at Niagara Falls

JohnKoz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

We’re coming from the states and planning to camp just inside Canada near Niagara Falls. We’ve got the required ID’s for the family, not worried about that part.
I don’t know what’s involved in pulling the RV in, are there any restrictions or tips I should prepare for?
Do they search the vehicle in either direction?
I saw a mention of food; naturally we travel with food in the fridge, is that an issue?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

-John
John & Debbie, Kids: Melissa, Emily & Jacqueline

2010 RAM 2500 MegaCab CTD Laramie (every option)
[purple]2011 Coachman Chaparral 330FBH[/purple]
16 REPLIES 16

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
When crossing into the US I suggest you check the website before you cross for any additional restrictions.

When mad cow disease was found in Alberta the border checks focused on beef, we had our all beef hot dog wieners packaged in Canada confiscated. I remember this crossing well and it took almost an hour.

aluminum_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of tricks to ease the pain...whether USA or Canada.

1) Unlock all doors & compartments. If they want to look, they don't want you around.

2) Roll up truck tonneau covers so they can look in the truck box.

3) Take vaccination records for your pets.

4) RX meds MUST be in original bottles and not in day reminders.

5) If using heavy meds for pain and such. A letter from the doc is helpful.

6) We buy groceries once we cross and only carry basic staples/soda across the border.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
kodiakcanuck wrote:
I crossed into the US and returned to Canada with the trailer at least 7 times in the last couple years and have yet had them go inside the trailer (knock on wood) :B

Best of luck.

We have had them come inside our Class A and take a look around (also the bathroom) just checking to see if any others are on board. Once they looked in the engine of the M.H. - really there is hardly room for all the mechanical stuff! We have never had to open the outside compartments.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I crossed into the US and returned to Canada with the trailer at least 7 times in the last couple years and have yet had them go inside the trailer (knock on wood) :B

Best of luck.
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
CardinalRule wrote:
Add wood with bark to the list of no nos. As said answer the questions asked. Be pleasant and respectful but remember Border Officers are not your buddies so don't joke around or smart mouth them. They've heard it all and are not amused.

You shouldn't be moving firewood anywhere - not just across the border.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all of the above, we have crossed several times in both directions and never had a problem. We've been boarded twice, once going into Canada and once coming home, the Canadian officer just walked through our rig and asked questions about it and traveling in a small "A" and the US officer just wanted the lime my wife paid about a buck for and declared as a valuable item. Both officers were very nice and really very sociable.

I have two additional ideas, one have a spare set of storage cabinet keys close at hand. We were asked for them once and having a set available and handing them over quickly basically ended the search for fire wood, the other has to do with sun glasses. I wear prescription glasses and have my plain set on my arm rest, I wait until the officer is looking at me and make a show of removing them so he can see my eyes and then put my other glasses on.

They really like having you prepared when you get to them. All papers readily available and a smile on your face.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

FC
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you cross over the border at Buffalo instead of diectly into Niagara Falls Canada. I think its a much easier location to enter Canada.
We have already been back and forth a few times this year already, and usually just the basic questions about where are you going, how long etc.
JM2CW
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I live in a border city and cross the border into the States frequently, pulling a 5er. On the American side, I pull up and shut the engine down. I'm asked the usual questions about citizenship, where we're going, etc. Sometime they go inside the 5er and have a quick look. Coming back into Canada, we're asked how long out of the country, any liquor or beer, etc. They already know the answers to most of the questions they ask pertaining to length of time away etc. The computers tell them a lot, on both sides of the border. Don't volunteer any more information than what is asked of you. Generally it's relatively a no pain happening. Now with the added security threats that have been made, going into the U.S. may take longer to get through customs. I have mads it a practice to call American customs ahead of time to find out what food stuffs can be transported across the border. Usually an Agriculture person will be the one you will talk to. As said above keep your vegetables in original wrappers with " product of US or Canada" on the label. Have fun and enjoy your stay....wherever you decide to stay.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

CardinalRule
Explorer
Explorer
Add wood with bark to the list of no nos. As said answer the questions asked. Be pleasant and respectful but remember Border Officers are not your buddies so don't joke around or smart mouth them. They've heard it all and are not amused.
Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck 😞 )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a trip to Michigan and went through Canada both ways. The Canadians were asked us if we had any type of stone fruit (peaches, nectaries, etc) or potatoes. No plants, NO GUNS, MACE, TEAR GAS, etc. Meats must be labeled from the country they came from so meat from a butcher wrapped in butcher paper is not acceptable but steaks on Styrofoam wrapped with a sticker USDA is fine. They may ask about alcohol but unless you have a lot you will be fine We just said we have some liquor for private consumption they had no problem. Come back to the US, they just wanted to know if we had bought anything. It was a much less extensive interview. We also had our dog which had to have the immunization records and records of when and by whom the shots were given. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Be polite, patient and only answer what is asked.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

JohnKoz
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
Check stickys at top of this page. They give you more things to be clear about.

:C

Yes, saw the sticky, thanks.
It doesn't mention RV's in particular.
I'm also unclear what "Goods" are. I can't imagine making a list of every single lantern, radio, knife, hose, tv, radio, dvd player, etc. in my RV...I'd rather stay at a US campground.

-John

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Check stickys at top of this page. They give you more things to be clear about.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
You will do fine. Just be totally honest, even if you are not sure about anything. It is true about cigs, alcohol and guns, weapons of any type.

You should be fine with general groceries. With you crossing at Niagra, a great market garden area, you should take advantage of our fresh produce that is in full swing right now. I would buy your meat and fresh veggies here.

I hope you enjoy your holidays in our country.

Remember...it is illegal to use any hand held device while driving, texting and phone. $500 fine. Seatbelts are a must. Also, if you have ever been arrested you may be denied entry.

Just be honest and you will be fine.

JohnKoz
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
... any fruits and vegetables are labled or packaged as product of Canada or USA there is not a problem. The exceptions are green onions, tomatoes and peppers and no citrus fruit even if it did originate in Florida. Sacks of rice from Asian countries is also forbidden but Minute Rice, Uncle Bens etc. is not a problem. Lamb, goat and mutton is not admissible (this includes pet food)...

Thanks Tripalot,

I'm understanding the food, but what about things like cookies, chips, cereals, water bottles, etc.
I think the idea is they are really concerned with the items you mentioned, not the ones that typically won't carry disease?

-John