cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bakersfield to San Diego

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
On Monday Dec. 23rd we'll be leaving the Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield headed for Mission Bay RV Resort in San Diego.

Looks like there are 3 possible routes to consider;

1. the I-5 S

2. the I-5 S to I-15 S

3. CA-58 E to I-15 S

Suggestions?
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel
14 REPLIES 14

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

We are aware of weather but we will take the 58 out of Orange Grove, Bakersfield, to 395 and then the rest of the way through Temeculla on to Mission Bay.

Weather looks fine at this time and looks to be the best route.
Our Trip Journal

MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be remiss if I didn't add this . . . Winds in the Cajon Pass area can be fierce. Every year eighteen wheelers get toppled. Critical to watch the forecasts before negotiating it in a high profile vehicle. We left a park just off the freeway in a Hesperia Monday morning. No wind. Forecasts in the cities near the pass were predicting winds but nothing too fierce. Certainly not high profile vehicle wind warnings. No issues until where 15 splits off near Devore. Severe crosswinds. I was down to 45mph. One Class A had their awning blow loose and it was billowing over the roof. Another coach was pulled off to the shoulder and stopped a little further on. The wind had completely dissipated by the 210 split, as it often does. This is very common this time of year. And construction was no issue at all as far as Temecula.

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired out of Temecula. In-laws in Redding. Did the drive at least 2x/year since '77. Trust me on this one. First off. Orange Grove (stayed there many times) is on 58. Use it, as others have said, to access 395. Last time I was through there, in October, K rails, due to road construction, were on the south bound side for miles making for very narrow lanes. If that's a concern, outside of Mojave, take 14 to Palmdale, then go over to 215/15. Either way, get to 15/215. 210 is absolutely not the way to go in an RV. Plus, you will find Tehachapi is a much easier pass than Grapevine to negotiate. Road construction is probably still ongoing on both 215 and 15. But, 15 is a much better choice because it avoids the messy interchanges in Riverside. Now . . . Reference 'Las Vegas to Mission Bay RV Resort' that is currently 2 topics above you. Peruse how to get to MBRVR once you're in the San Diego area. And most important, read what I had to say about traffic from Cajon Pass on. Trust me on this one.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several times I've taken 405 through LA midday with no major traffic problems. Was I just lucky?

At the end of December I'll be going from San Diego/Oceanside to Santa Barbara. Is 405 to 101 the best midday route? If there is a "best" route. :h
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
i5 to the 210 to the 15, that takes you around LA instead of thru it

That would be the way I would go
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
My initial thought was 58 to 395 to the 15. Took that in March from Yuma to Bakersfield. Traffic not bad.

Was leaning this time the I-5 to the 210 to the I-15 to San Diego but going back to my initial thought. For the little difference in time and miles will be a better drive with less traffic, if there is such a thing in the L.A. area.

Thanks all.
Our Trip Journal

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
With all the construction on I-5 over the grapevine I would take 58 through Tehachapi but in place of 395 I would use the 14 out of Mojave over to the 138, pearblossom highway, and that will bring you back to the 15. There are a few little trinket shops along 138 and an old truck stop gas and go outside Pearblossom that has some great home made sausages.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
. . .Hwy 58 is a little longer in miles, BUT, about 1 hour less drive time. . .NO traffic & more relaxing. . .Kramers Corner makes a good stopping point for food & fuel. . .

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I would say to avoid the 210 freeway at all costs on a Monday afternoon. You can check Google Maps, and traffic, set it to Monday and see that freeway section going east is all red (slow). So is I 5 south, 405 is probably worse.

I would take 58 to 395, then south to I15. Don't take 215, stay on I15.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Both above suggestions sound good. I use the 210 to the 15 even when I am only taking the car. You miss LA traffic, and Disneyland traffic. Gas up before you reach San Diego, easy access RV fuel stops are hard to find unless your staying in the outskirts.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
When in doubt check Google maps:
Taking the straight I-5 route: 233 miles
Taking the suggested I-5 to 210 to 15: 273 miles
Taking my preferred route of 58 to 395 to 215 to 15: 264 miles

Basically you only add 30 miles to your trip by heading out through the Mojave Desert and you also miss Los Angeles and the Grapevine. When I drive from Nor Cal to San Diego I always take off at 58 and just completely skip Los Angeles. So much nicer of a drive.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I-5 to 210 to I-15 is the longest but the shortest route....Dennis

(Longest in mileage, shortest in time)
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
guidry wrote:

X2
The I-5 thru LA is old, narrow and FULL
The I-210 has limited exit/entries, skirts along the foothills and moves pretty good

Course timing is the key :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

guidry
Explorer
Explorer