cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Belize?

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone driven to Belize from the US, in an RV or otherwise? Advisable?
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot
12 REPLIES 12

cummins1279
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius,
I personally wouldn't want to do it although I did see someone pulling an Airstream the other day in western Belize. I have been living in here for a little while and visited many times over the last 17 years. A lot has changed over the years! There are some nice places to see but I wouldn't want to do it in an RV. If you do decide to take the trip, I would check out the Spanish Lookout area which is a Mennonite community in western Belize. I remember seeing an RV sign out there and it tends to be a safer area.
The roads would be pretty hard on an RV too. Much worse by far than Mexico especially this year with all the rain. I don't know what the requirements would be at the border but I know that with all the recent scandals in the government and Immigration department that there have been a few changes made. I have even seen tourists refused an extension to stay past 30 days because they didn't have an airline ticket out of the country and others hassled. Depends on the mood of the Immigration officer.
Security/ safety and repairs would be my other concerns. Per capita murder rate is 5th highest in the world.
Not trying to discourage or scare you but I know I would want to know all the issues before going.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great trip!
2004 Dodge 3500 Q.C. 6spd. 4x4 Cummins. Torklift FastGuns, airbags.
'05 Nash 22H 4 season. SOLD
'02 Lance 845 SOLD

coloradotallman
Explorer
Explorer
Did it about three years ago and, with the exception of the road to Catemaco, enjoyed every minute of it. Wish we had spent more time in western Belize, did not know about the cave and creek adventure crowd. Missed the Belize zoo, even though we looked pretty hard to find the signs. Our blog: yucatantallman.wordpress.com

Talleyho69
Ditto on all of the above. Mainland Belize's, in my opinion, only draw is the shorter drive to Tikal.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a long-long way. Belizian customs are reassuringly the same pompous knot-heads they were thirty years ago. Realize NO COMPREHENSIVE NO COLLISION INSURANCE available. I don't appreciate the constant dearth of fresh food, nor the rice & beans or stewed beans and rice selection at most restaurants. The only decent beach I know of is in Placentia, which is a long way into Belice.

Since they paved mud alley in Guatemala the drive from the Pan American hwy to Tikal is a lot easier.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Three years ago. Took about 7 weeks to get there as we only travelled every four or five days. Belize is not really our thing but it was fine. Didn't really see enough to give a good report. We prefer Mexico. We like the culture and language better, the history is better preserved and services and infrastructure are a generation ahead of anything in Belize. Too each his own. We have friends who love it there and return regularly. All in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck and happy trails.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

peterth
Explorer
Explorer
We have travelled Mexico from 2003 t0 09 then went and traveled all of Central America in the winter of 09 and 10 with a 29 ft. class C. A very enjoyable trip a little challenging at the borders but usually someone there for equivalent of $20.00 will guide you through the maze.
We boondocked in the parking lot by the Balboa Yacht Club in Panama City and were lucky enough to find a Japanese sailboat going through the canal and we hired on as linesmen.no pay but food and sake, great experience.
A most wonderful trip great people and great memories. We have wintered in Texas for the past three winters and are going to be crossing at Pharr in the morning to travel Mexico again. Would have been this morning if it wasn't for some electrical problems after hooking up.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We were in an RV park south of Cancun a few years ago when some people left to go to Belize and south - they were back in a few days saying the roads were so bad they turned around and came back.

We have been to Belize a few times by plane to dive Ambergris Key and went inland to the zoo and Mayan ruins and do not recall many roads large RVs would enjoy. Depends on where you are going and what you are driving.

We have also heard you have to get all your paperwork done in Mexico of course - but then when you leave Mexico that paperwork is cancelled so coming back you have to do it again - don't know anything about insurance there either. People do it and we see people in Mexico from Europe and elsewhere who do it but we have not yet gotten the call. We find Mexico to hold our interest most winters.

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
We are talking of doing it in the winter of 2016. We are used to traveling Baja, Mx but will have to do alot more info searches and planning for that trip.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been there a number of times years ago,,, don't know if I would do it today, the crime and corruption has gotten worste....I just don't need the hassles anymore.....

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken a bus from Cancun to Belize several times. Met a couple of folks who drove down, one all the way to Costa Rica. Border crossings would likely be a hassle but doable. I actually bought a book and planned to do it myself, by car, not Rv. Now that I have a TT it is on my mind again. The book is "99Days To Panama, an exploration of CA by Motorhome". It was written in 05 I think so may not be too far out of date. Also look at Moon and Lonely Planet guides, I use those when traveling CA. Not specifically about Rv'ing but would be good reading, especially about the border crossing.

Traveling by bus I have found the Yucatan area of Mexico and Country of Belize safe enough if you travel during the day and stay away from Belize City as much as possible. I am sure you could google some recent trips up or go to Trip Advisor or Lonely Planet forums and ask there. I know you must have papers in order and probably buy insurance at each crossing. Pets would likely be a problem, but maybe not. Always a interesting trip in many ways. We took a bus to Chetemal and then a shuttle to Belize city last year. The border official wanted to charge the exit fee to Belize even though we had paid it in Cancun. We said no, he said ok stay in Mexico...so we paid. Not a lot of $$ just a hassle. If you take it in stride and don't get upset easily I think it would be fun. Let us know how it goes, I still would love to try it myself. I am sure someone on here has actually done it in a RV?

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
This family did a similar drive in 1978 .... A long time ago, but they have also taken more recent trips. They tell a great story.

http://www.movingon1.com/firsttrip.html
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Talleyho69
Yes, but about 15 years ago, pets were an issue. Now, probably a completely different story. It's the easiest way to get to Tikal, Guatemala.