cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Harrisburg, Pa to Bar Harbor

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Maine. Want to go around NYC, not through. Pulling 35' fifth wheel. Thanks in advance for the help!
21 REPLIES 21

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Like DrewE - 81 to Binghampton, NY, then 88 to Albany. We take Rte 7 to Rte 9 across VT to Keene, NH - I now avoid Rte 84 west of Hartford, CT as much as I avoid NYC! 87 south of Albany is a pricey toll road IMHO. Running north towards Burlington, VT is much nicer ride - look at Rte 2 east across VT, NH, and ME as an alternative if you are not pressed for time.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW IMO, take 81 north to 380 to 84 like gbopp said. Then p/u 90 to 495 to 95 like Crowe said. We went last year from CNY and took 90 to 495/95. If I recall right, there is a large truckstop on 84 or just before getting onto 90 in Mass.. Another truckstop on 95 in NH just before Maine line. I noticed tho that fuel was cheaper at rest stops than at the NH truckstop. Should you stay on 95 to Bangor before heading south, Dysarts truckstop for diesel. We topped off there and had plenty of fuel (50 gallon tank) for week while at/in Bar Harbor.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Misses all the doo-doo on I-84

Doo doo. Love it! And absolutely correct. May take a little longer but often a little less white-knuckle.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is to take I-81 to I-88 to I-87 (via a tiny bit of I-90) and then go across Vermont and New Hampshire. I'd probably do that part taking NY 149 from Lake George to US4, north on VT 22A to US7, I-189 to I-89 to US2 at Montpelier (exit 8), and then probably Alt US 1 to Bar Harbor. This would definitely take longer (and I think be a longer distance as well), but is a more scenic route.

I-88 used to be pretty rough, but the majority of that has been fixed over the past few years.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe's route, except stay on I-87 north to the Mass Pike. Misses all the doo-doo on I-84 through Waterbury and Hartford.

I-81 from Harrisburg to Scranton is miserable.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When we go to Bangor ME we take I-81 N to the Scranton area then pick up I-84 east into New England. Then follow the above directions.
I stay away from NYC.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Our preferred route is 81 to 78, then up 287/87, over the Tappan Zee Bridge, up 684 to 84, to I90 (Mass Pike) to 495 to 95. You can cut off a corner by taking I290 through Worcester, but it's a bit narrow through the city and can be very heavy with traffic. You circumvent NYC but have to deal with some of the major cities in CT. We just drove back from Gettysburg in May via that route and hit no real traffic in any of those cities. It's all the luck of the draw There are multiple routes from that point, either from Augusta or Bangor. We usually go from Bangor as it's quicker but if you want to mosey you can go Rt. 3 from Augusta. Some people may suggest continuing up 87 to the Pike or going up 691/91 in CT-it's just a matter of personal preference. Just keep in mind you cannot go on the parkways in CT. You can also drive up 95 along the east cost but that route generally stinks even on a good day.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]