cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Harrisburg, Pa to Bar Harbor

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Maine. Want to go around NYC, not through. Pulling 35' fifth wheel. Thanks in advance for the help!
21 REPLIES 21

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
Izzy211 wrote:
Maine-iacs,
Thanks for the info on Waterbury/Hartford. Be coming thru on Saturday so I think we should be good. Never been up in your neck of the woods. We will be staying at the KOA in thr Kennebunkport area.

There's no KOA in the K'port area. You talking about the one in Saco, Maine? You might want to check out the website rvparkreviews.com to compare ratings and average prices. A very handy reference.
Maine-iacs from the Great State of Maine

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
Maine-iacs,
Thanks for the info on Waterbury/Hartford. Be coming thru on Saturday so I think we should be good. Never been up in your neck of the woods. We will be staying at the KOA in thr Kennebunkport area.

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
Waterbury has been under construction for 10+ years. Went thru last month and there were 3 lanes open in most areas, 2 lanes for about a half mile. Avoid rush hour traffic and you should do fine.

Hartford flows pretty smoothly. Large city, a fender bender can change things in a hurry. Again, most of the time there are no issues.

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
OP here and I appreciate all the different routes. I just need to know how bad is it going thru Waterbury/ Hartford? Most of you recommended going up 87 and then travel I 90 over to the east. Just curious about the Hartford area. Tganks in advance.

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
Izzy211 wrote:
Original OP here. Thanks for all of the suggestions, they really helped. Now another question, the DW wants to stop in Kennebunkport first, I believe some if the same routes would also apply to this as well. Let me know? Thanks in advance!

You might want to spend a night or two at either Red Apple CG or Hemlock Grove CG. Both are excellent. Hemlock slightly less pricey. From either, you could spend quality time in K'port quite easily.

And you'll only be a mile away from me! Lucky you.

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab

dedmiston
stvdman wrote:
Don't want to hi-jack this post, so I apologize if that is the way this question comes off.

I'm starting in MD and headed to Kittery ME. I am wanting to avoid NYC at all costs. Thinking of trying:

I95-NJ Turnpike to I287 to 87N and then catch the MASS PIKE (I90) East to I295/495.

I also don't mind skipping CT all together and avoiding the Garden State Parkway. My main concern is I287 to 87 N, never been on either of those. Anything to be concerned with on that?

If I do go that route, ill be sure to come back and give a quick synopsis on the route.

You're also welcome to start a new thread with your question. They're free! :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
stvdman wrote:
Don't want to hi-jack this post, so I apologize if that is the way this question comes off.

I'm starting in MD and headed to Kittery ME. I am wanting to avoid NYC at all costs. Thinking of trying:

I95-NJ Turnpike to I287 to 87N and then catch the MASS PIKE (I90) East to I295/495.

I also don't mind skipping CT all together and avoiding the Garden State Parkway. My main concern is I287 to 87 N, never been on either of those. Anything to be concerned with on that?

If I do go that route, ill be sure to come back and give a quick synopsis on the route.

Nothing at all worrisome about I-287 or I-87. The latter is of course a toll road (as is the Mass Pike). They naturally are major roads through some relatively urban areas, so there will be some traffic, but it's not at all like driving through NYC on I-95.

Taking I-87 all the way to I-90 to go to Kittery, ME does seem to me to be taking the long way around compared with e.g I-84 through Connecticut, even with the hassles of the latter route, but I-87 in itself is not a bad highway to drive.

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe,
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Cannot help but ask if " Crowe" is your last name. The reason mine is "Crow". Just curious.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to stop in Kennebunkport I'd suggest calling the town first and ask where you can leave the fiver. Parking is difficult at best for any vehicle but there is a fairly large parking area next to the fire station just outside the center of town. That said if you want great seafood, get lunch or dinner at the Clam Shack on the bridge, find a seat somewhere and watch on the goings-on. If seafood isn't your thing try Allison's-they have a great variety and great food.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Izzy211 wrote:
Original OP here. Thanks for all of the suggestions, they really helped. Now another question, the DW wants to stop in Kennebunkport first, I believe some if the same routes would also apply to this as well. Let me know? Thanks in advance!

Kennebunkport is just off I-95 in Maine. The same routes apply.

Say HI to George H W 41 for me.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
loggenrock wrote:
Like DrewE - 81 to Binghampton, NY, then 88 to Albany. We take Rte 7 to Rte 9 across VT to Keene, NH - I now avoid Rte 84 west of Hartford, CT as much as I avoid NYC! 87 south of Albany is a pricey toll road IMHO. Running north towards Burlington, VT is much nicer ride - look at Rte 2 east across VT, NH, and ME as an alternative if you are not pressed for time.

That's a nice route if not pulling anything, but IMO, your gonna be on/off the gas/brake a lot towing a 5er. Diesel (if that's what you have) isn't commonly avail along here last I recall until at least 91 or near Keene. Not saying this is a bad road as we took it 4 years ago to go to Milton NH. Wasn't towing anything, but pretty drive and nice scenic overlook. Kept saying to DW tho, "Would hate to be towing anything along here".

That's a great route if you're not in a big hurry, great road and little traffic. It only adds 2 to 3 hours as opposed to the highways. For an even better route go further north and run the secondarys such as VT30, 100 etc. Lots of really nice state and ACOE campgrounds for an overnight or longer stop, albeit not many FHUs but that works for us, we hate FHUs.

The hills in New England are really nothing unless your inherently scared of such things. A lot of that is personal perception. Just to get to our local state park 25 miles away we have to cross two of the Allegheny ridges that will test your combo as much or more than anything driving secondarys crossing VT/NH.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Like DrewE - 81 to Binghampton, NY, then 88 to Albany. We take Rte 7 to Rte 9 across VT to Keene, NH - I now avoid Rte 84 west of Hartford, CT as much as I avoid NYC! 87 south of Albany is a pricey toll road IMHO. Running north towards Burlington, VT is much nicer ride - look at Rte 2 east across VT, NH, and ME as an alternative if you are not pressed for time.

That's a nice route if not pulling anything, but IMO, your gonna be on/off the gas/brake a lot towing a 5er. Diesel (if that's what you have) isn't commonly avail along here last I recall until at least 91 or near Keene. Not saying this is a bad road as we took it 4 years ago to go to Milton NH. Wasn't towing anything, but pretty drive and nice scenic overlook. Kept saying to DW tho, "Would hate to be towing anything along here".
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"