cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from St. George, UT to Bryce Canyon

IceWolf48
Explorer
Explorer
Our rigs in storage in St. George, UT and we'll be picking it up at the end of next March (2016) then heading to Bryce Canyon. We've heard that although Rte 9 is the most direct route it's a "BEAR", can anyone comment???

Ted
Ted & Marcia
Buffalo, NY

2016 Rockwood Ultra-lite 31' pulled by 2012 Toyota Tundra
13 REPLIES 13

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
lbrjet wrote:
We went the Fredonia to Kanab route. Easy drive. Do NOT take rt 14 unless you want to climb 4000 feet at an 8% grade. We have been all over the west and I have so far found two roads I won't tow, rt 14 and Slumgullion Pass down to Lake City.

Definetly agree on those 2. Have not done either uphill but Slumgullion got some smoking brakes & required a stop to cool down not far from the bottom.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

IceWolf48
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to All for recommendations and Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!
Ted & Marcia
Buffalo, NY

2016 Rockwood Ultra-lite 31' pulled by 2012 Toyota Tundra

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We went the Fredonia to Kanab route. Easy drive. Do NOT take rt 14 unless you want to climb 4000 feet at an 8% grade. We have been all over the west and I have so far found two roads I won't tow, rt 14 and Slumgullion Pass down to Lake City.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
Having been through Zions numerous times in cars/motorcycles, I would never pull a 31' trailer along Rte-9 through Zions National Park during peak season. Being March, the traffic/tourists/congestion will be down, and it is do-able. If you want to enjoy it, ditch the trailer and just take the truck through the park.

Easiest route is to go North on I-15 to Hwy-20 and over to Panguitch and back South to Bryce. An alternate would be to go along 389 to Fredonia then North through Kanab/ect to Bryce.

Hwy 20 will be the fastest/easiest for you.
389/89 will take longer but slightly more scenic.
Taking the 14 over Cedar Mountain (East out of Cedar City) is a huge climb followed by decent, but still better than pulling through Zions.
Taking the 9 through Zions will be the most scenic but the slowest route. It is the fastest route if you are on a motorcycle/small car though :B

X2 on Hwy 20, definitely an easier better route in my opinion. Not as scenic for sure but way easier especially if the Zion season is getting started. I can't imagine pulling a trailer through some of those switchbacks to get through Zion.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is to go N to Cedar City then E on 14 to 89N. We have been W on 14. Very pretty. Cedar Canyon was downhill for us, uphill for you. It is quite the grade but we have seen worse. Slumgullion Pass, CO. comes to mind. Spectacular scenery.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Tunnel isn't that bad. You just need to have the traffic control in place plus drive down the middle of the road.Official tunnel/roadway information

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
There is also a height restriction on the tunnel east of Zion, and it is not very high. Mind that as well.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I-15 north to Hwy 20 then south on 89 a short distance to Hwy 12.

Agree.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Before you decide, make sure you accurately measure overall length. Your TV plus a 31 foot trailer could very well be over 50 foot total length. This is not for the tunnel but the switch backs coming up out of the canyon.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have confidence on your tow vehicle going up a steep hill, then by all means take Hwy 9. It's a beautiful drive and many RVers do it.

An alternative is I-15 north to Hwy 20 then south on 89 a short distance to Hwy 12. Hwy 14 off I-15 is also very steep up and down.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
IceWolf48 wrote:
Our rigs in storage in St. George, UT and we'll be picking it up at the end of next March (2016) then heading to Bryce Canyon. We've heard that although Rte 9 is the most direct route it's a "BEAR", can anyone comment???

Ted

Never seen any Bears (:?) We LOVE the Rt 9 tunnel out of Zion - so for me not a problem, Rt 9 a number of times, always enjoyed the trip. That said your alternate is a good ride and was more than just interesting as a way across those mountains.

Back to the drive Rt 9 is the obvious choice and you are rewarded with the opportunity to at least drive into - even if for only a short visit - Zion is always a favorite for the visit and even Dinner in the Lodge.

After the Visit to Bryce, Rt 12 - Kodachrome - Escalante - Goblins and Capital Reef will await you. If I recall, you need to be careful going over the Mountain after Boulder on Rt 12 as in the winter it is often snow covered and icy.

BOL
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Having been through Zions numerous times in cars/motorcycles, I would never pull a 31' trailer along Rte-9 through Zions National Park during peak season. Being March, the traffic/tourists/congestion will be down, and it is do-able. If you want to enjoy it, ditch the trailer and just take the truck through the park.

Easiest route is to go North on I-15 to Hwy-20 and over to Panguitch and back South to Bryce. An alternate would be to go along 389 to Fredonia then North through Kanab/ect to Bryce.

Hwy 20 will be the fastest/easiest for you.
389/89 will take longer but slightly more scenic.
Taking the 14 over Cedar Mountain (East out of Cedar City) is a huge climb followed by decent, but still better than pulling through Zions.
Taking the 9 through Zions will be the most scenic but the slowest route. It is the fastest route if you are on a motorcycle/small car though :B
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have been across UT 9 several times in MH pulling toad. It is not that bad of road. Yes, it has many curves, but speed limit is low.
Remember going through tunnels have restrictions. 50 foot max length. Width and height requires permit.
It is the best way!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow