cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route to West Yellowstone

shelia_williams
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for the best route for a 40 foot motorhome from Denver to West Yellowstone. This is only our second trip out so we are not too comfortable with mountain driving so would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a good site for all the road descriptions leading into Yellowstone:

Yellowstone Road Info
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that 287 from Sweetwater station to the 28 junction has frost heaves and is very rough so slow down. Teton pass is no fun in a pickup alone. Wife says we will never go on it again.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in and out of all the entrances to Y'stone. Anyone will get you where you want to go. If you can handle a 40'er you can drive the roads around Y'stone. Just drive with due regard for the conditions you see and have a great time.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
GBuilders wrote:
I've been on Deaerthawk's route and it would be my choice. Slower through Grand Teton and south entrance of Yellowstone but very little grades. We made the mistake of leaving West Yellowstone and going over Teton pass with our 5th wheel and that was the steepest grade up and down that I had ever done.

Teton Pass should definitely be avoided but it is 22 not 26.

Clouddrivers route is the best for an inexperienced driver for sure. Better. wider roads and avoids the hectic traffic in Jackson. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on Deaerthawk's route and it would be my choice. Slower through Grand Teton and south entrance of Yellowstone but very little grades. We made the mistake of leaving West Yellowstone and going over Teton pass with our 5th wheel and that was the steepest grade up and down that I had ever done.
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
If best route is closest without much in the way of grades, I believe I'd go I-25 to Cheyenne, I-80 to Rawlins, US 287 to Moran (Tetons); US 89/287 to West Yellowstone (through Yellows Park). Slow traveling in Yellowstone due to speed limits, nothing in the way of extreme grades. IMHO.
594 mi, 10 hours 29 mins.

Get to see some of the Park before setting up in W. Yellowstone.

In Yellowstone, the only grade I can remember would be from the turn up near Grand Village to get up in the higher country on the way to Old Faithful. Can't think of any after that.

The is one pass on US US 287/26 to get to Moran, but can't recall it being much to worry about.

The Denver to Rock Springs to Idaho Falls Route to W. Yellowstone: 718 mi, 11 hours 34 mins.

The Colter Bay Visitor Center and Indian ArtsMuseum by the Colter Bay Campground in the Grand Tetons is really a neat one.

Post Edit: By entering via Moran, one does not have to deal with the traffic in Jackson's narrow streets & tight turns.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 to CloudDriver's route.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
With the term "best route" being defined as one having no mountain driving and no long steep grades, I suggest the following:

I25 north to I80 west to Rock Springs. Route 191 north to Hoback Junction. Route 26 south to Alpine Junction and on to Idaho Falls. Route 20 north to West Yellowstone.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚