cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bloomington, IL to Michigan UP and Back

yellowdog00
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to visit family near Petoskey, MI the last half of July. Thinking of driving up through MI then on up into the UP and then back home through WI. I have never been into the UP.

I know I will start out on I55 to 24 over to I65 and on up to I94. Coming back, I will take I90 at Madison down to I39 and back home from WI. In between, I am open to ideas as to routes to take and any suggestions as to campgrounds along the way. I will have upgraded to a new 38' Fifth wheel by then and electricity will be a minimum. Time taken is flexible as my wife and I are retired and we enjoy cooler summer temps. Appreciate any suggestions.
2016 Jayco North Point 301RETS, Pullrite SuperGlide
2015 Ram 3500 SRW CC 6.4 Hemi 4.10
15 REPLIES 15

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
Another thought, the Pe****igo Fire Museum not far off of US-41 just south of Marinette, WI. That fire happened the same day as the Chicago fire and more people died in it than did in Chicago.

EDIT: Wow, that's funny! The foul language filter doesn't like the letters in a perfectly legitimate name!

But is ISN'T a perfectly legitimate name the way you spelled it. It is spelled Peshtigo, not the other way around. But I'm sure the shti really hit the fan during that fire!

DaYooper
Explorer
Explorer
Heap64 wrote:

Site 9 at Bay Furnace in the Michigan UP. The tent next to us was in site 10 it is even closer to the water!

Nice pictures of Bay Furnace! We have not been in that campground and have site 10 reserved for an upcoming trip for 4 or 5 nights, before heading to Grand Marais.

A lot of great suggestions. If you like to get off the beaten path make a visit to the Crisp Point Lighthouse if your camped in the Tahquamenon Falls or Deer Park area. Take lunch and enjoy the beach its 14 miles west of Whitefish Point, we have been volunteers there in the past and enjoyed camping off the grid during our work weeks.
Steve
SE Michigan
IAFF #2289
2014 Shasta Phoenix 32RE 5er
Husky 16K W Hitch
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD QC
4x4, Auto, 3.73

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We use a summer CG in the East Peoria area and took the "loop" trip around Lake Michigan 3 years ago. It was a great trip!

The only route suggestion I would make is at the beginning of your trip. We cut over to I-55 and went straight north to I-80. The only consideration for us was hitting I-80 south of Chicago during non-rush hour traffic. The first night we went all the way to Muskegon and stayed in the state park there for 3 days.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I`ll be there the week after 4th of July. staying at Munising Tourist Park Campground. looking forward to it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time, a trip around the Keweenaw Peninsula (north of Houghton/Hancock)is very scenic. Take US 41 north, then MI 26 out of Phoenix through Eagle River & Eagle Harbor (quaint little towns) then the Brockway Mountain Drive (yoou travel along a ridge overlooking Lake Superior and inland lakes) to the town on Copper Harbor on the tip of the Keweenaw. Visit Ft. Wilkins there before heading back south on US 41. There a several old copper mines in the Keweenaw that offer tours including Delaware mine http://www.delawarecopperminetours.com/ and Quincy Mine http://quincymine.com/.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought, the Pe****igo Fire Museum not far off of US-41 just south of Marinette, WI. That fire happened the same day as the Chicago fire and more people died in it than did in Chicago.

EDIT: Wow, that's funny! The foul language filter doesn't like the letters in a perfectly legitimate name!
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The shipwreck museum has a very popular bird sanctuary adjacent. Last I visited, there were as many people at the sanctuary as the museum.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
We've taken that trip and I agree with any and all of the above suggestions. Also add the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point (across the bay to the west of Sault Ste. Marie). We love checking out any lighthouses we can as well, and there are many on your route. Have a great trip!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Take the boat tour thru the Soo locks. Learn what they did during WWII to protect them.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
Small world, we are from Bloomington, IL as well.

Here are some photos from our trip last year.

Michigan U.P. Bay Furnace Campground - Christmas, MI

Site 9 at Bay Furnace in the Michigan UP. The tent next to us was in site 10 it is even closer to the water!

It was a very quite and nice rustic campground. We enjoyed it.

Michigan U.P. Presque Isle Campground - Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park

Presque Isle Campground for four nights in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Lake Superior is behind us and down about 200 ft from the bluff that the campground sits on. Each night there were only 3-5 tent campers here and 1 or 2 RV's in a campground with nearly 100 sites! This campground is rustic with no power, shower houses or modern bathrooms. The modern campground on the other side of the park was nearly full. No thanks we like it rustic and quite.

James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The drive along the lake on US-2 west of St. Ignace is nice.
See the Big Spring at Palms Book SP.
Fayette SP has interesting historic buildings and artifacts.
Tahquamenon Falls near Paradise, and Whitefish Point lighthouse.
Pictured Rocks: try to get on the sunset cruise on a clear, calm day.
If you get int the western UP, Bond Falls near Paulding is picturesque.
The drive along the west shore of the Keweenaw Peninsula is also nice.
Porcupine Mountains, both east and west units.

Most of the SP campgrounds have electric (but you often need 100' or so of extension cord). The Ontonagon municipal CG and Woodland Park CG in Grand Marais are both on Lake Superior and some sites have good lake views.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of M-35 and US-41, watch your speed in the sister cities of Menominee, MI and Marinette, WI. Especially Marinette. 25 MPH through most of the town and they mean it. I have not gotten a ticket, but I've been warned by those who have.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just south of Petoskey, US 31 is under major reconstruction. Northbound is detoured onto back roads that eventually dump onto US 131... follow detour signs until you meet up with US 31 again. Southbound is open, one narrow lane, no shoulder.

US 31 North of Petoskey to the bridge is very rough, especially once you get near Pellston, very very rough - I wasn't able to comfortably drive more than 35 mph for about 30-40 miles of road with my truck and small trailer.

Before crossing the bridge, dispose of any firewood you have at the Welcome center in Mackinaw City or risk getting a ticket on the other side - no firewood is allowed across.

US-2 along the Northern shore of Lake Michigan (in the U.P.) was in good shape last I was on it (2014). Very beautiful drive. People drive it crazies, always eager to pass you. Plenty of campgrounds along US-2, without having to go deep into the UP unless you want to.

If you do want to venture deep into the UP, there's nothing much to see along M-28, it's pretty much a boring road from the Sault to Marquette. It does have some interesting stops when you get to Munising and follow the Lake Superior shoreline. M-123 will take you to Tahquamenon Falls, very nice area, very remote.

Michigan M-35 is decent and pretty rural. It'll take you south along Lake Michigan and into Wisconsin, plenty of campgrounds along the lake. Eventually the road merges with US-41, heading south towards the big cities.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that's a great trip. Lots to see on that route. My daughter lives in Escanaba and it is gorgeous up there, especially along Lake Superior. Make sure to visit Painted Rocks National Lakeshore. Lots of waterfalls in the area. I have no CG recommendations because we'll only be staying up there the first time with the trailer in a few weeks.

Since it's just you and your wife I highly recommend a few days in Door County, that's the "thumb" of WI. While there are family friendly things to do there, it's much more geared to adults. Very beautiful and relaxing place to visit. Often referred to as "little Cap Cod", quaint little harbor towns, lots of shoreline, great state parks, lighthouse tours (Eagle LH in Peninsula State Park, Cana Island LH near Baily's Harbor), great places to ride bikes, lots of really good restaurants, art gallerys, shops, etc. We are there 2 to 4 times a year. Make it a point to see Cave Point County park too. We always stay at Egg Harbor Campground. Egg Harbor is pretty central to Door County and you can get to most of the best within a 20 minute ride. Peninsula State Park is excellent to camp in to but electric sites are booked up 11 months in advance. If you choose Door County, try and go during the week. On weekends that time of year you can barely get through the small towns there is so much traffic.

Along I-90/94 just north of Madison is Baraboo and Devil's Lake State Park. You probably won't get in the SP but if you can stay nearby it's worth a day to hike the bluffs and see the park. It's one of the best SPs in WI.

Also nearby is the Wisconsin Dells. I would not recommend too much there. It's very commercialized and geared toward families. But one worthwhile thing is the Ducks Tours of the WI River.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid