cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA. 5 south to 10 east

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I received some great info when asking about route info for our north bound CA. trip, so now I'll ask for some south and east bound info. What's the best route for bypassing LA traffic when heading south on the 5 to catch the 10 east back towards Palm Springs/Phoenix? It looks like the 58 east through Bakersfield, but then what? We'll be in a 30' MH with toad.

Thanks again for all the great info!

Edit: I just saw a similar question where 58 east to 395 south to the 15 was mentioned. I guess that looks pretty good. Comments?
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
15 REPLIES 15

toornotto
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to connect to interstate 10 just north of palm springs and by pass all southern cal. take 58 to Barstow ca. 247 to hwy 62 at yucca valley. this is the way we go to palm springs good two lane road very little traffic.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We like to not only bypass The LA Traffic but also avoid the Race Track conditions on the 15 Down into San Bernadino !

At the Adelanto Logistics Airport turn East off 395 and follow 18 throughVictorville , Apple Valley,to 247 ,Lucerne Valley to Yucca Valley, Morongo and down to the 10 !

It is a bit slower ,but a much more relaxing drive!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
RLMiller wrote:
I use 5/138/15/10. The downside is you have to climb the Grapevine. Otherwise 138 is a good 2-lane road, with mostly 4-lane east of Palmdale to San Bernardino County. And you get to drive through scenic Palmdale. Well, maybe not so scenic.

What's the Grapevine? And where along the route is it?

The Grapevine is where the I5 climbs over a mountain range. It is the area on the I5 between Castaic, Ca, north on the I5 to just about where the 99/I5 splits.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
RLMiller wrote:
I use 5/138/15/10. The downside is you have to climb the Grapevine. Otherwise 138 is a good 2-lane road, with mostly 4-lane east of Palmdale to San Bernardino County. And you get to drive through scenic Palmdale. Well, maybe not so scenic.

What's the Grapevine? And where along the route is it?
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have also had extended delays with traffic as 395 approaches the 15.
Just as bad as the 5 returning Sunday evening from Mammoth etc.

Timing can be everything.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
58/395/15/215/10 is fine. If you happen to be coming through early Sunday morning (7a?) you should be fine to rip straight down the 5.
Except for the construction.. 😞
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tips on which lane to be in are key -- the transitions are tricky, they come up fast, and our wonderful local car drivers do not understand the meaning of that little blinking light on the corner of your RV.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
kalynzoo wrote:
Once you get to Valencia (Six Flags Magic Mountain) on the 5 take the 210 to Pasadena, Stay on the 210 for a long drive past the 15 then the 215 until the 210 merges with the 10. You could still get some significant traffic in the Santa Anita area. If you take this route there is a confusing merge where the left lanes head into Pasadena and exit the freeway and the right lane goes through an underpass to take you to onward on the 210. The far right lane goes to the 10. This all sounds confusing, but it is my favorite route from the San Fernando valley to points South or to Las Vegas by car. In the motorhome I take Palmdale highway to avoid the steep grade on the 15.

X-2
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

RLMiller
Explorer
Explorer
The best advise is to avoid Los Angeles. Otherwise there are some options. The route through Los Angeles is the shortest. The 5/58/395/15/10 route is 16 miles longer, but all open highway driving, except near San Bernardino, but you can avoid that by taking the 210 through SB.
The route I like best, is 2 miles longer than going through L.A., but avoids some of the high desert freeways. I use 5/138/15/10. The downside is you have to climb the Grapevine. Otherwise 138 is a good 2-lane road, with mostly 4-lane east of Palmdale to San Bernardino County. And you get to drive through scenic Palmdale. Well, maybe not so scenic.

Richard L. Miller
2001 Safari Zanzibar, 38'
2014 Honda CRV toad
Amateur Radio KJ6W

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
58/395/15/215/10 is fine. If you happen to be coming through early Sunday morning (7a?) you should be fine to rip straight down the 5.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You answered your own question on your edit. That keeps you completely out of any LA traffic as well as all the construction on the 5 through the pass.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I just went from the 5 to the 10 down to Palm Springs this past weekend. I am near the 210, so I use the 5 to the 210, to the 10. The problem with the 210 heading east is the bottleneck where the 210 and 134 meet. Make sure you are in the #3 lane before the transition. After the 210 and 134 merge, if you are in the #4 lane it exits, and it is difficult to move over. I am a lot longer, coach/toad/tow bar are 64'9", so it is a bit harder to move around in traffic.
If I were coming from Bakersfield, I would take the 58 to the 395, then the 15 south to the 210 east, which eventually merges into the 10. Probably a lot more relaxing drive.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
theczar wrote:

The 58 > 395 > 15 could be a good option. I am sure it is a little longer but might be faster. There is some construction in the Cajon Pass, I would check with Caltrans to see what is going on while you are travelling. If you do come down the 15 you could probably continue on the 215 to the 10

Either route is RV friendly

Good luck

The 58 to 395 to I-15 to I-10 is a good route. There is a small short cut when on the I-15 by taking the 215 and then turn off on the east bound 210 over to I-10. This by-passes San Bernardino and Riverside.

However, as mentioned, taking the 210 off of I-5 over to I-10 is not a bad way to go. The 210 can get a little busy sometimes, but very doable in an rv.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
I live off the 210 in the Pasadena area. It depends on what day and time you are planning to pass through it is really bad at times.

The 58 > 395 > 15 could be a good option. I am sure it is a little longer but might be faster. There is some construction in the Cajon Pass, I would check with Caltrans to see what is going on while you are travelling. If you do come down the 15 you could probably continue on the 215 to the 10

Either route is RV friendly

Good luck