cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel Maryland

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
can anyone tell me if I can travel across the Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel with a Class a motor home towing a vehicle?
9 REPLIES 9

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure and carry a good bit of cash for the toll. Our first time we didn't think about it, and expected to use a credit card if it was higher than we expected. Which did NOT work, they would not take anything but CASH, which we did not have. Pulled off into the parking area, detatched toad, drove back to where we could find an ATM, got cash. got back, cleaned out piggy banks and laundry change, many pennies, put it all in a sack, then pulled back to toll booth. Gave the the sack of change, told them to take however much they needed, while we blocked the toll booth (at rush hour). paid the balance of a few dollars from cash I had just gotten, and went on our merry way. Every since, I carry a few rolls of toll booth quarters, and avoid toll roads whenever possible. As far as the bridge, just watch out for high winds, which is the biggest danger there.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are based on the Eastern Shore so we have used the CBBT a number of times. Always an experience to do one of the engineering marvels of the world. Stick to the speed limit to enjoy it longer.

Don't know the actual depth of those tunnels but given the draft of the ships that pass over them they must be at least 50' below the water surface. Your ears 'pop' as you go down.

Enjoy the Eastern Shore. So much to see & do there. It is not exactly a big destination area for travellers.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the only strange things that happened when we used it was shutting off the propane before entering the tunnel/bridge, and the "push" that we felt when a semi passed us going the opposite direction. I expected to be pushed to the side, but instead felt a push from behind! Strange phenomenon
Proud father of a US Marine

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
As we were approaching/going into tunnel spotted a NAVY Sub heading out of bay

It might have crossed over us while in tunnel....hard to see LOL
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that boat was real heavy...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did it. 40' diesel with jeep in tow. No problem except with my wife. She was afraid a boat would sail over us when in the tunnel. Not sure what that would cause, but she was freaked!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always good to try the bridge authority website first.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

plattpd60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Everything you need to know right here
CBBT
Short answer yes, height and weight info is on the website. Lane widths are normal, 13'6" heights no issue.
Just turn off your propane before going on the CBBT and enjoy the views.