cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheyenne to Yellowstone

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip this summer from Missouri to Yellowstone NP. I would probably be taking I-80 from Cheyenne to Rawlins and then Hwy 287 up to Yellowstone. I am wondering what kind of mountain grades we are looking at on this Highway and if this would be the best route. My trailer is well within the tow rating of my truck, but I am still looking for the easiest towing route that I can find. Any help from you experienced Yellowstone travelers would be greatly appreciated.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran
13 REPLIES 13

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
As littlemo points out above, the view of the Tetons shortly after you cross over Togwotee Pass is something to behold! Have a good trip, lots of wildlife to see on US26/287 out in the meadows west of Dubois, and good fishing in the creeks along the way. You will be in great country all the way.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
This is a beautiful drive. we did it with 34 ft 5er with no problem. Wait 'til you get your first glimpse of the Tetons.......it will be soooo worth it!

roverdover
Explorer
Explorer
You do have a pretty good rise out of Cheyenne. Made that the first time in a v6 minivan (pulling nothing). Thought something was wrong with the vehicle. I could not keep it out of second gear. Three years ago I pulled it with a 6.0 chevy 2500 pulling a 5vr. Just let the engine rev and watch your temps. It is a pretty long pull to the top.

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
So it sounds like it's really not too bad of a trip out to Yellowstone. Pretty flat, for the most part, until we get to Dubois. What about I-80 between Cheyenne and Rawlins, how are the grades there?
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You get to the bottom far east of Moran. I would say about 20 miles. From the pass to the bottom is only like 5-7 miles.
When you get to the summit and start down there is warning signs. Heed them!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
Took this route a couple of years ago, no problems and it's one of the more beautiful drives one can take. I'm sure it's better now that the construction is done. There are some amazing views of the Teton as you desend. One of my favorites.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sneaks up on you because it's only 3000 feet of elevation change in 25 miles(2.2%) to Moran Junction... not in 10 miles(5.7%) which would be steep.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it is Togwogee Pass on US 287. Pass is around 9700 feet.
You just need to be aware of it. It can sneak up on you.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We've towed several different fifth-wheels with a couple of different pickups over Towgatee Pass and never considered it a problem at all. This route (US 287) is our usual and favorite approach to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Very steep grade east of Moran junction. Hard on brakes if you don't gear down and slow down up on top. Take your time going up. Watch your temperature.

Are you sure you about this??? Teton pass/22 yes it's steep, 287 NO. 287 is our favorite way to get to the Tetons/Yellowstone and it's a great road now that the construction is over. I would not call it steep.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have only driven route 26 in the opposite direction - from Moran to Lander. My recollection is that the climb from Moran to the pass is steeper than going back down to Dubois, but it's not a very steep grade on either side. We certainly have driven steeper grades elsewhere.

If you want a nearly flat route, go to Rock Springs and take route 191/189 up to Jackson, then through Grand Teton NP to Yellowstone.

Personally, I would take the 287/26 route for the better scenery.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

travel4family
Explorer
Explorer
We went that way last summer and went finem hills start around Dubois I think, but very manageable ~ and we are set up well in our limits but still we're not loaded with power in a mini van! Just gas up - towns are few and far! Beautiful country!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Very steep grade east of Moran junction. Hard on brakes if you don't gear down and slow down up on top. Take your time going up. Watch your temperature.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow