cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheyenne Wyoming to Colter Bay Wyoming

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip next September to the Yellowstone area. I'll be pulling a 36ft fifth wheel. Going from Cheyenne to Colter Bay is it a better drive to turn north on Hwy 287 at Rawlins or go to Hwy 191 at Rock Springs. The mileage is not a concern, just the condition and steepness of highways. Thanks for any info. TFDCC
6 REPLIES 6

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
Watch your dates in September. Thing start to shut down toward the end on the month. Colter Bay in the Tetons closed on September 28th this year and by then many campgrounds in Yellowstone were already closed.
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
We always go via 287 through DuBose and over Togwetee pass, and have done so several times towing different fifth-wheels (32-35') We have always enjoyed the drive and have never felt it to be difficult. We have stayed at Dubose, but I think that campground is now under different management.

X 2. You will miss a gorgeous drive if you don't go this way. Going up through Togwotee Pass is heavenly. Watching those Tetons get bigger by the mile and you can spend some time in the Tetons before entering YNP.

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I really appreciate all the information. We are excited about this trip. TFDCC

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Since the stated goal is to avoid grades as much as possible, the 191 route is the better of the two. That route also has the advantage of taking you through the town of Jackson so you can restock before heading up to Yellowstone, where grocery selection is limited and more expensive. There are two full service supermarkets shortly after passing the "Welcome to Jackson" sign when coming in from the south, a Smith's on the left and about 1/2 mile further on an Albertson's on the right. The other advantage of the 191 route is that you will be driving through the spectacular Grand Teton National Park on the way up to Yellowstone. If possible, include several days in your plans to enjoy Grand Teton, our favorite place.

Forgot to mention - fuel is less expensive in Jackson than in either of the Parks or in West Yellowstone. We have found the lowest prices at the stations on the south end of Jackson.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We always go via 287 through DuBose and over Togwetee pass, and have done so several times towing different fifth-wheels (32-35') We have always enjoyed the drive and have never felt it to be difficult. We have stayed at Dubose, but I think that campground is now under different management.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would pick 191 out of Rock Springs. Fuel up in Rock Springs. There is a slow straight upward grade out of Rock Springs northward. Difficult getting to Yellowstone without going up grades. Yellowstone is about 8,000 ft.

I-80 from Cheyenne to Rawlins watch for any wind warnings. Check Wyo wx info or 511 on phone. BTW the road north out of Rawlins (287) can really get windy.