cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
If you were going to head west , thru Kansas to Colorado, and wanted to stay out of the heavily populated areas, where would you go? Do the state parks offer FHU's like Missouri? Have a month or so to stay and would like to enjoy a little site seeing and alot of R&R. Open to suggestions.
9 REPLIES 9

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
sweetnoni wrote:
If you were going to head west , thru Kansas to Colorado, and wanted to stay out of the heavily populated areas, where would you go? Do the state parks offer FHU's like Missouri? Have a month or so to stay and would like to enjoy a little site seeing and alot of R&R. Open to suggestions.

Links below that might help;

Stan Parker's Photo Album to find things you might like in pictures

Another picture tour into and around colorado - might help.

A link to an old post on a trip I often recommend to friends in Colorado

Just to get you thinking about visiting in the FALL - best time ever.

This should keep you busy for a while.

Enjoy Colorado it is truely a TREASURE.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you avoid the "front range" cities along I25, the rest of Colorado is easy to navigate with plenty of public and commercial RV Parks or dispersed boondocking sites in the national forests. Keep in mind that Co state parks charge you an entry fee on top of the camping fee. So in most cases camping + entry fees are more than many commercial campgrounds.
With only a month to stay, I would pick one general area and spend your time there, instead of spending all your time driving around the state. Coming from Kansas on I70 its easy to exit at Limon on hiway 24 and head to the Buena Vista area where you can combine the Arkansas River with the nearby mountains. or further west to the Gunnison, Crested Butte, Taylor Park area off hiway 50; or further south to hiway 160 from Alamosa to Durango and the many small towns, rivers, lakes and mountains of southern Co. I also agree that Steamboat Springs is a great area to explore in summer, I lived in Steamboat for 10 yrs. But I don't agree that its any less crowded than other areas, and its a bit harder to get to without going thru Denver and the crowded I70 corridor. so many choices, so little time
Jim

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My two choices would either be the Southwest part of the state - Durango/Telluride/Ridgway or the Northwest part around Steamboat Springs.

Most State Parks offer electric sites, not a lot of them offer full hook ups.

Depending on when you are planning your trip, you might be a little late for reservations. Many of the more popular State Parks book out 6 months in advance for weekends.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Foy_R__Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We also like Gunnison, Crested Butte and Taylor Lake area. There is also some great places to boon dock or full hook up. All of Colorado is great to enjoy! Stay away from Estes Park on the east side of Rocky Mountain National park. The west side has lots of good places to camp. Steam Boat Springs area is pretty! We plan on going up through there in June and taking 2-3 months. We want to see the aspen leaves change in mid October! Enjoy!
33' Tahoe 5th wheel toy hauler.
1999 Dodge RAM 3500 with 5.9 Cummins, auto , dual wheels

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Colorado is packed with tourists. If you want to get away from the crowds try the Steamboat Springs area and up into the flat tops.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I think most of the CO state parks become heavily populated areas during summer months! lol
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
One thing about Colorado state parks is that they have a rule that at any one park, you can only camp for 14 days within a 45 day period. If you use your 14 days, at say Chatfield State park, then you have to wait until the 45 days has expired before you can camp there again. After your 1st 14 days, you would have to move to another state park.

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can come from Kansas to Limon and take US 24 to I 25 and then south to Walsenburg. Hi way 160 will take you to many great areas to visit in the southern part of Colorado starting with the Great Sand Dunes and westward to Durango with lots of stops in between. We like Lathrop State Park at Walsenburg but no full hookups.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you asking about traveling to Colorado or are you asking about staying in Colorado?

Yes, some state parks have full hookups - Ridgeway is one of them. Just get on the state park site and check the parks out.

We like Southwestern Colorado.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel