cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC area

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
How many days would you allow to see national mall area &Smithsonian museums? How about other must-sees in the area? Would you suggest staying in the Alexandria area separately, or is it reasonable to visit it from just Cherry Hill? We have never been to this area & are intimidated by the traffic situation. Suggestions?
20 REPLIES 20

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Capitol tour and then head to the Library of Congress. Fantastic architecture. Take one of the hop on hop off bus tours which will give you a quick overview. Also try the capitol night time tour - well worth it. We've been to DC twice and not seen every thing. Stay in Cherry Hill, it's convenient to Metro which is the way to get around DC. Enjoy your stay!

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get the issue with traffic. I mean, 90% of the drivers here are also NOT from here....oh, wait, that IS the problem! 🙂

Seriously, though, I tell most to go ahead and use the Metro, if you like mass transit. I prefer a little extra cost and parking hassle to keep my own vehicle close by. There's parking, you just have to look for it.
I don't mind DC traffic as long as it's not a total grid-lock parking lot, but that rarely happens except for rush hour. Middle of the day you can get around just fine all around the beltway in nearly any vehicle. It is busy, though. Just don't try to be anywhere inside the beltway before 9AM and either head home around 3PM, or find something to occupy you 'till after 6 when traffic lightens up to leave.

Most aren't aware that many Metro stations usually have plenty of parking. From my experience with Metro, the full lots are the farthest out lots the draw people from beyond the end of that line. I work near a metro station and occasionally use the MARC rail line when my private transport gets messed up for a day - both always have parking when I go through.

For attractions, I would say you could easily spend a day seeing the major monuments. Another day each for any of the major museums that interest you.
The new Air and Space Museum - Udvar Hazy Center is a great day trip. It's out away from the city and easy to get in and out of as well as easy parking.
The Marine Corp museum at Quantico is a good one, too.

There are some off the wall places, too, which most people don't know about, like the National Museum of Health and Medicine at Walter Reed Forest Glen annex. Free to visit, parking is easy, but may be a tight squeeze for big-rigs.
http://www.medicalmuseum.mil/index.cfm?p=exhibits.index
That's just about a block away from the National Park Seminary, a group of historic buildings.
The Washington National Cathedral is another point you might not think of. Easy to spend a half day there.

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
As others have mentioned, you could be there for weeks and not see everything. Make a list of everything you'd LIKE to see, then pick a few per day depending on geography and on your stamina. Try to vary the type of activity, so you don't get "Museum'ed out". Also, don't do too many sad things in one day such as memorials and the Holocaust museum. Keep an eye on museum hours; they close as early as 5:30. The Newseum is worth paying for (and a ticket is good for two days); the Spy museum, not so much unless you're a fan of that stuff and young at heart.

That's a good tip about getting off the Metro at Cleveland Park so you can walk downhill to the Zoo entrance, then when you leave the Zoo turn left when you exit so you can walk downhill to the Woodley Park station. The animals are out and active long before the buildings open; go at 8 AM if you want to see pandas frolicking.

I like the off-the-beaten-path places like the Building Museum and the Folger Shakespeare Library, with its Elizabethan theater.
Joanne

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the great information coming. I'm going towards end of April and have never been in the area. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
How many days would you allow to see national mall area & Smithsonian museums?

Depends on what you want to do. You can easily spend most of a day at the Air & Space Museum (see the movies, too). The Museum of American History & Museum of Natural History are also quite popular, too. The National Gallery of Art is a big deal, too, and also right on the Mall. They're all free - and check the Smithsonian website, there are smaller museums that you might like. The Capitol is a better tour than the White House, but you might want do do both. Depending on the weather, the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial & WW II Memorial can be done in a day - if you really like to walk. The FDR, Martin Luther King, and Vietnam Veterans Memorial are also in the Mall area. If you're in DC during Cherry Blossom season, add extra time to tour the Tidal Basin area around the Jefferson Memorial.

The view of DC from Lee House in Arlington Cemetery is memorable, as is the cemetery itself.

The National Zoo (Pandas!) is on the Metro, but not on the Mall (get off at the Cleveland Park Station and return to the Woodley Park - National Zoo Station, that way it's a downhill walk both ways, the Zoo is about halfway between those stations).

The Air Space Museum has a huge annex out by Dulles Airport, too. Haven't been there, but check their website, I think they charge a lot for parking.

Don't try to do too much in one day, and devote as much time as you can.
2013 RT 190-Popular

sure2rain
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest that you go to the Metro web page and order the Smart-Trip card, makes using the Metro a breeze.
TV: 05 Chevy 2500 8.1L
5er: 2010 Open Range 385RLS
Hensley Arrow and P3

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
I don't think any of the above posters have mentioned Arlington National Cemetery - it was awesome in the snow

I mentioned Arlington National Cemetery. It's hallowed ground, and a terrific place to visit. I highly recommend the tour offered. The earlier in the morning, the less the crowd.

Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Two places that I will never drive in again. Boston and Washington, D.C. Both places have an excellent subway system and horrible surface traffic 24/7. One hand on the wheel and one hand on the horn. And the natives can smell a rookie a mile away.

DC traffic is horrible, we hit the Baltimore DC parkway at 3:30 in the morning and it was bumper to bumper running 65, drove south on 95, and saw the traffic headed north was a parking lot 50 miles out in Va.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
How many days would you allow to see national mall area &Smithsonian museums? How about other must-sees in the area? Would you suggest staying in the Alexandria area separately, or is it reasonable to visit it from just Cherry Hill? We have never been to this area & are intimidated by the traffic situation. Suggestions?

If you are military, I'd highly recommend Fort George Meade camp grounds, best place we ever stayed.

and plan 7-8 days to see the capital, mall, and the smithsonian, fort McHenry, and while you are in the area do the Gettysburg and Antietam battle grounds, and any other you have time for, and remember Williamsburg, and Mount Vernon, Monticello. Each requires a minimum of a day.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my best trips there was when it snowed several inches and they shut the freeways down so we took the back roads. I don't think any of the above posters have mentioned Arlington National Cemetery - it was awesome in the snow. And it sure cut down the crowds.

You didn't say what time of year you want to go or if you have kids, but we always try to do major places like Washington, Rushmore, and other national parks in early spring or late fall when the kids are back in school. It cuts down on the traffic, the crowds, and makes parking easier.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
We were in Dc a couple of years ago stayed at Holiday inn in Alexandria 1 block from the Metro

Which Holiday Inn did you stay at? I see 2 in Alexandria but both are several blocks or more from the Metro.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Uma___Papa
Explorer
Explorer
We just did the DC thing this past mid Nov. for us everything was great, cold but the crowds were light according to every place we went to. Originally we were going to take our RV and stay at Andrews AFB but after we learnt a very cold front was coming we change our plans and stayed at hotels (not my favorite thing but worked out)We stayed close to one of the last Metro's stations called Branch and took the train downtown everyday instead of dealing with traffic & trying to find a place to park. I took a picture of DC Marriott parking sign that said daily parking was $42 + tax, as well as overnight parking $42+ tax. We found by being on the beginning of the Metro trip into DC we were better off cause each stop brought more people going into DC and then you feel like a sardine. Get a Metro card figure out how much money needs to be put on it and you're good to go. They do have a site you can go to for information (wmata.com)
Like above person said go to your state's senator's office and request a Capitol tour, warn you it may take month's to get approved cause they do a background check on you and who ever will be with you (bring ID). Think it took us 3 months to get our paperwork. But worth it cause we had a personal tour with a guy that works in our senator's office. We also did a White House tour. If you go to the Washington Monument make sure you get your "free" tickets at the office/store that's down from the monument itself, seen several people walk all the way up to the entrance of the monument and be told to go back down the hill to that small building (park worker pointing) cause they didn't have tickets. Well worth seeing you get a bird's eye view of the landscape. We also went to the Bureau of Engraving & Printing seen how our money is printed, we had an appointment for that, I suggest first thing in the morning. See as much of the Smithsonian as possible lots of different buildings. (I enjoyed seeing the first ladie's clothing, hubby the Air & Space, we both liked American History Museum)
But first and foremost have GOOD walking shoes cause you will get a workout trying to see as much as possible, we were there a week then headed over to Gettysburg, Hersey's Candy and on to Philly was great how it all came together. Just get on your computer and find out as much as possible about what things you'd like to do think that's why our trip was good hubby did a lot of pre trip planning to make it go smooth, the cold weather was our only blimp but it was sunny and clear which was better than having rain or snow with that cold front. Good Luck!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
And the natives can smell a rookie a mile away.

LOL! That we can and take advantage of it!

Seriously, even as Boston drivers we don't tackle DC. Aside from traffic, parking is an issue. Cherry Hill will take you in on a bus tour or take you to the Metro, which is what I'd recommend. How long will you need? A lifetime and you won't see it all. Just like Disney, make a list of "must sees" and work from there. Air and Space museum is our favorite.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Dc a couple of years ago stayed at Holiday inn in Alexandria 1 block from the Metro which is the best way around IMHO bought a 7 day pass we were there 5 days should have stayed at least 7, we seen most everything. If you want to see the Capitol or White house you have to contact you congressman or senator.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD